i have been waiting for the 9900 since the 9000 first came out....

i've had all the different types of BB and now that i have the phone i've always wanted, with the right features and my preferred carrier---- i don't see where RIM can go from here?

from a device-only stand point, what do you see being your next bb device?

or maybe what im asking is how can the 9900 be improved, from a physical standpoint? besides maybe a camera upgrade

and im not talking about speed, memory and that kinda stuff i mean design wise
    12-07-11 04:28 AM
    It could have a bigger screen.....and some sort of built-in laser gun.
    JR A likes this.
    12-07-11 05:26 AM
    It is hard to see where you improve on a near perfect keyboard. I much much prefer this to the keyboard on the Torch.

The small screen is a sacrifice I am happy to make. A bigger screen would be nice but then I feel the device would be far too big and awkward.

Things to focus on:
    Battery - Same slim size but bigger capacity is a necessity.
    Camera - 8mp with autofocus?

As you said physically I'm really not sure. The Call, Blackberry and back buttons should be touch and not physical.
    12-07-11 05:36 AM
    better camera and yes, touch buttons. only the keyboard should be actual keys. and they could make the trackpad a bit bigger.
    12-07-11 06:15 AM
    A larger screen and a more reliable software/hardware would be welcome. Blackberrys are what they are. The 9900, if it didn't have all these reliability issues, would almost fit the bill 100%. A significantly better camera would be welcome too.
    12-07-11 06:35 AM
    I would like not that slim device, and of course larger capacity battery.
    9900 too slim for my taste, but fits well in hand with otter commuter.

Other - as a form factor, especially screen size and keyboard - perfect
    12-07-11 07:34 AM
    Make the 9900 form factor a slider with a somewhat thicker body and larger battery. That 9900 screen pushed me to the 9810 and a sacrifice on the keyboard.
    12-07-11 08:03 AM
    The Bold 9900 has a lot of room for improvement! Internally, they could start by giving it a better battery life and an 8 or 10 mp camera. I'm sure most people wouldn't mind the phone being thicker if it had a good battery life. People just want a reliable phone!
    They could do a lot regarding the software. The Browser could be faster, it could have flash support, and watching videos online could be smoother.

In the outside, How about a front facing camera for video conferences?That would be great!
    They could also add TV input so you can be able to view your phone videos and photos on your tv screen.

I really like the keyboard the way it is now. The screen, I agree could be a little bit bigger.

Or maybe RIM could just pick up all of the good stuff that's scattered all over the other Blackberry phones around and put it it all togeher in one phone.
    12-07-11 09:28 AM
    Ya I would go for a better camera. 5mp is fine but a bigger autofocus lens would be really sweet. Also could they make the screen a bit bigger? They could definitely make it taller by losing the Blackberry name but would taller be that much better? Wider is pretty much a non starter as the phone is about as wide as you want to go. I really like the idea of video out like the playbook and I love the SD memory slot and the battery change option.

Sent from my sweet BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-07-11 10:16 AM
    i agree, better cam and a slightly bigger screen.
    12-07-11 10:19 AM
    Well, it would be exponentially better if it could make me breakfast...

But I'll settle for an 8mp autofocus camera lens.
    12-07-11 12:09 PM
    I agree with the people who are saying that a better (and with auto focus) camera should be included with the device, and I also agree with a slightly bigger screen as well. The keyboard (at least for me) is a perfect size and quality.
    12-07-11 12:21 PM
    seems like the perfect device to me, waiting on mine to come today or tomorrow. tried the Torch 9810 and really liked it but missed the form factor of a Bold. The keyboard is what i really want, been searching for a better Bold 9000 to come out forever and now it's finally here.

but yeah, a better camera and better battery life would be the only thing i would add. i'm sure OS releases will increase battery life as they have on all other devices i've had.
    12-07-11 01:00 PM
    I disagree with those saying that the BB, Back, Call & End buttons should be touch and not physical. I really like having the physical buttons because you can be less accurate and more forceful with them than you can with touch buttons. When I end a call I want to be able to mash the **** out of the End button without having to take my finger off it, which you cannot do with a touch button (you have to touch and release). Same thing with the Back key when I'm exiting out of a bunch of stuff that's open simultaneously.

Also, I often rest my thumb on the physical keys when I'm in between using the touchscreen and I like to slide it back and forth along the physical buttons (BB and Call). Maybe that's just me but touch buttons would be more of an annoyance than an advantage. If you can explain exactly why touch buttons would be better, other than "Android has them, OMG BB is so far behind", I'm willing to listen, but til then it's just a gimmick and provides no added utility.

Things I'd like to see:
    -Better camera
    -Front facing camera (I guess)
    -Better battery
    -Native LED Blinking for missed call
    -LTE

Other than that it's perfect. I have no problem with the screen size, but I suppose it *could* be bigger, as long as it didn't make the final dimensions too much bigger...
    JR A likes this.
    12-07-11 01:06 PM
    SC457,

The one thing I really love about this device is the fact it DOES have great battery life. I've had no issues with battery life on my device for the almost 3 months that I've owned it.

I am a relatively light user and my battery easily lasts 24 hours. I mainly use my device for SMS and BBM and the occasional facebook/twitter <however I close them once I'm done as to not waste battery power>. I don't really talk on the phone that much either and I don't use wifi with it unless I absolutely have to.

A great example is yesterday I got a new BT headset and i had BT on for about 3-5 hours...and my battery only went down a few percent.

Profanity,

A native LED for a missed call would be a really nice addition. I agree with you there.

Anyways, that's my piece
    12-07-11 01:07 PM
    SC457,

The one thing I really love about this device is the fact it DOES have great battery life. I've had no issues with battery life on my device for the almost 3 months that I've owned it.

I am a relatively light user and my battery easily lasts 24 hours. I mainly use my device for SMS and BBM and the occasional facebook/twitter <however I close them once I'm done as to not waste battery power>. I don't really talk on the phone that much either and I don't use wifi with it unless I absolutely have to.

A great example is yesterday I got a new BT headset and i had BT on for about 3-5 hours...and my battery only went down a few percent.

Profanity,

A native LED for a missed call would be a really nice addition. I agree with you there.

Anyways, that's my piece
    good to hear, i'm not too worried about it but that's a common thing i keep seeing people say. but like you said if you know how to set it up to conserve battery and close apps properly it increases battery life. haven't had one yet to really comment on it personally but i wonder how much better batter would be if they would have kept a bigger battery, made it a little thicker, and added and auto focus camera.

not going to complain at all about anything with this device, this is my ideal phone. can't wait to get it!
    12-07-11 01:24 PM
    Better battery life and autofocus camera would be nice. Plus flashplayer support so I can view more internet videos. Also, I think thin is thin enough for the phone...I would readily trade some thinness for more battery life and an autofocus lens. Try picking up an old 8310 curve or even a bold 9800...these to me feel more friendly to the hand. Thin is nice to look at, but where does it end? Do people really want to use a potato chip as a hand-held device? Gimme something I can hold onto....
    12-07-11 01:33 PM
    better camera and yes, touch buttons. only the keyboard should be actual keys. and they could make the trackpad a bit bigger.
    +1 or at least like 9790's sen/end/menu/back buttons, separate from each other, but yes touch would be perfect with real actual keys.
    12-07-11 01:44 PM
    I disagree with those saying that the BB, Back, Call & End buttons should be touch and not physical. I really like having the physical buttons because you can be less accurate and more forceful with them than you can with touch buttons. When I end a call I want to be able to mash the **** out of the End button without having to take my finger off it, which you cannot do with a touch button (you have to touch and release). Same thing with the Back key when I'm exiting out of a bunch of stuff that's open simultaneously.

Also, I often rest my thumb on the physical keys when I'm in between using the touchscreen and I like to slide it back and forth along the physical buttons (BB and Call). Maybe that's just me but touch buttons would be more of an annoyance than an advantage. If you can explain exactly why touch buttons would be better, other than "Android has them, OMG BB is so far behind", I'm willing to listen, but til then it's just a gimmick and provides no added utility.

Things I'd like to see:
    -Better camera
    -Front facing camera (I guess)
    -Better battery
    -Native LED Blinking for missed call
    -LTE

Other than that it's perfect. I have no problem with the screen size, but I suppose it *could* be bigger, as long as it didn't make the final dimensions too much bigger...
    I think the Blackberry key, back, end, send are a trademark of the BB. The only benefit of making them touch is that they would last a lot longer than buttons but that's about it. They would have to do something with the proximity sensor to render the keys useless while the device is to your ear and whatever else but I'm sure it could work.
    02-09-12 11:59 PM
    Things I wold like too see,

1. Either a better camera or at least high res images, we have 720p video, so why a crappy camera?
    2. Different colour numbers on the keyboard.
    3. Hot swap with the memory card.
    4. Decent battery life.
    5. Smoother veiwing of videos when watching them online.
    02-10-12 02:29 AM
    Things I wold like too see,

1. Either a better camera or at least high res images, we have 720p video, so why a crappy camera?
    2. Different colour numbers on the keyboard.
    3. Hot swap with the memory card.
    4. Decent battery life.
    5. Smoother veiwing of videos when watching them online.
    Atleast just have auto-focus on the phone, a stable OS, and a larger battery. Those are my two cents.
    02-10-12 03:58 AM
    I haven't had my 9900 long enough to know whether the battery issue I read about will start to annoy me but my wish list would be:

1) Left convenience key! (I miss that from my 9700 and 9780)
    2) Autofocus camera lens (not from personal experience, just know of it from lurking here)
    3) FM radio with 7.1 like the Curve has.

I know Point 3 is missing because it's a totally different chip-set but I acquired the 9900 because it is supposed to be the flagship model, with everything! I chose it over the full-screen torch because it has NFC while the torch doesn't. It just seems odd that the mid range phone has something that the top of the line model doesn't

PS: Almost forgot... I need it in RED
    Last edited by Crutchy; 02-10-12 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Forgot something
    02-10-12 05:40 AM
    i have been waiting for the 9900 since the 9000 first came out....

i've had all the different types of BB and now that i have the phone i've always wanted, with the right features and my preferred carrier---- i don't see where RIM can go from here?

from a device-only stand point, what do you see being your next bb device?

or maybe what im asking is how can the 9900 be improved, from a physical standpoint? besides maybe a camera upgrade

and im not talking about speed, memory and that kinda stuff i mean design wise
    Do not feel bad as RIM is having trouble "seeing past the 9900, too"!

The next generation of RIM products will be so different from the 9900 that you may not recognize them as RIM devices. These new devices being "better", depends on if RIM can change and get out of their "funk"!
    Last edited by greggebhardt; 02-10-12 at 06:43 AM.
    02-10-12 06:39 AM
    What I'd like to see the in the successor to 9900 is

An all black or smoked bezel finish.
    Ability to change the trackpads/keypads color to red orange or white.
    Optics and AF similar to the 9780.
    Higher capacity battery
    Carbon fiber weave WITH leather as a back casing.

02-10-12 07:04 AM
    Add a front facing camera!
    02-10-12 07:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD