Hi guys,

I can't believe I'm posting here, but here I am. I had a 9900 about 6 years ago. Loved that phone, but it wound up falling into a lake, and I moved on. First the Q10, then the Classic, and just last month the KeyOne.

Long story short, the screen fell out of the KeyOne last night. An $800 phone that just randomly fell out. Then to ship it back to where I bought it from (UK, cause Canada decided to **** the bed and take their time stocking these) it cost me another $70. And I have no doubt I will have to pay another $60 in shipping to get it back from the UK. So all in all I'm not impressed.

I need a phone in the interim, and in my frustrations last night I wound up on ebay (always dangerous.) I started to remember all of the headaches with the Q10, Classic, and KeyOne, and how it always came back to "Why didn't they just update the 9900?" Anyway, long story short, $50 later for a factory refurb 9900 and $15 battery from Amazon, I am now the proud owner of a new 9900.

Ironic that I've tried the latest and greatest, and come full circle back to the 9900. Looking forward to having a decent LED blinker and typing out emails without typos. And glad to see there is still a forum alive and well supporting the last of us Bold/OS7 hold-outs.
    Qorax likes this.
    08-18-17 01:00 PM
    Welcome back.
    Will be nice setting up led for different tasks and contacts.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-17 12:31 PM
    Yes, I understand. I had the Keyone for a week and was looking at it in the sunlight and realized the camera lens was shattered and there were 2 scratches on the screen. I was livid! I was babying my phone and I don't know when this could have happened, was it ruined in the box before I ‎even got it? Or does this new piece of junk not hold up?
    Right now I am using my old q10 and regret getting rid of my last phone, galaxy note 5, because as I type this it keeps changing my words and it's so frustrating I want to throw it across the room. I might be going back to my bold 9650.
    I hate the new lease options Sprint has‎, such rip off. I feel sick that they refused to fix my Keyone or give me a new one even though I am a loyal customer and I have insurance with them. So now I have to go through BlackBerry and I'm not sure what they are going to do to me.
    And the fact that phones are getting, or I guess they always have been so expensive, is ridiculous.‎
    I've never had a problem with my phones getting destoyed like this. What is wrong with the Keyone, I was told it's not even made with guerilla glass?‎ Were any BlackBerry phones made with guerilla glass? Am I crazy, none of my other BlackBerries ever got scratched.

I am ready for a revolt and to join real life again instead of being glued to my phone. ‎
    08-19-17 01:36 PM
    If you want a phone to make calls, texts, and email, the 9900 is one of the best phones ever made for those 3 tasks.

It's well built, rugged, compact, with good battery life.
    Qorax likes this.
    08-19-17 06:26 PM
    Welcome home, OP. Many of us here are old friends with "full circle"... lol. Sitting here typing this on my 6 year old 9930 while a stable of more modern Classic, Passport, Z30 & D60 beckons from desk. My hand just prefers to grab the exquisitely comfortable 99. At least 90% of the time.

So many of us have pleaded, begged and threatened so many times, for so long, for an upgraded 9900. They left the tool belt, convenience key & charging contacts from Q. They gave us tool belt but subtracted swappable battery with oversized Classic, ... on and on... they just feel compelled to leave SOMETHING out, each time! It's as if they're afraid to repeat their single most successful handset! Go figure. Lol.
    Qorax and mike c bb news like this.
    08-19-17 09:28 PM
    Yes, I understand. I had the Keyone for a week and was looking at it in the sunlight and realized the camera lens was shattered and there were 2 scratches on the screen. I was livid! I was babying my phone and I don't know when this could have happened, was it ruined in the box before I ‎even got it? Or does this new piece of junk not hold up?
    Right now I am using my old q10 and regret getting rid of my last phone, galaxy note 5, because as I type this it keeps changing my words and it's so frustrating I want to throw it across the room... ‎
    What do you mean? The Q10 is auto correcting your words? You can turn that off, you know.

That has never bothered me on the 9900 or the Q10 since the keyboard is so nice. I rarely make typos :-)
    I kind of need the auto correct with the virtual keyboards but it's a love/hate thing as it seems to get it wrong as much as it gets it right. Still BlackBerry does it better than Apple, the iPhone drives me mad when I have to type anything on it.
    08-20-17 01:33 AM
    Autocorrect can certainly be shut off of 9900 and Q. Anyone working in a profession that uses countless unique acronyms and nomenclature will shut it off SOON. Lol. Been shut off of this 6 year old 9900 since day one. . Don't need it if you're using a handset that only types what your brain wants... Of course that brain must know how to spell... Lol.
    08-20-17 04:43 AM
    It's funny you say that. I have my own practice, so find that 90% of my phone usage is client emails with technical jargon. A touch screen was a disaster for typing these types of emails, and even after trying all the "new" devices, I still couldn't find anything that trumped the 9900 for keyboard accuracy.

Going back to that will be nice, as will the "all in one place" notifications. I'm a bit worried about browsing, but I've read that Opera still works nicely, so hopefully that works.

I've gotten used to using android apps unfortunately, but hopefully there are still some OS7 apps alive and well that can substitute.

Welcome home, OP. Many of us here are old friends with "full circle"... lol. Sitting here typing this on my 6 year old 9930 while a stable of more modern Classic, Passport, Z30 & D60 beckons from desk. My hand just prefers to grab the exquisitely comfortable 99. At least 90% of the time.

So many of us have pleaded, begged and threatened so many times, for so long, for an upgraded 9900. They left the tool belt, convenience key & charging contacts from Q. They gave us tool belt but subtracted swappable battery with oversized Classic, ... on and on... they just feel compelled to leave SOMETHING out, each time! It's as if they're afraid to repeat their single most successful handset! Go figure. Lol.
    08-20-17 07:31 PM
    Yep. I'll let legal and medical professions speak for themselves but some things simply demand zero tolerance for errors. A single digit error on terminal/conductor nomenclature, for example, can result in catastrophic, if not hazardous, results. No place for typos, or auto ANYthing. Imo. I've tried the best of the best, afaik. 99 is master of typing precision, imo. Especially for spreadsheet editing! 99's trackpad etc combined with its trackpad optimized gui, is SO wonderful for precisely and quickly selecting and editing spreadsheet cells! I frequently find it most convenient to edit spreadsheets even while sitting in front of a running desktop! It's that good on 99. Can't even insert rows on "modern" Classic, lol. I've often joked that Microsoft should include a 9900 configured data entry handset with each copy of Excel! Lol. It's THAT good, imo. The same attributes that make it so good with spreadsheets extrapolate nicely into most other functions, as well.

Another "professional grade" characteristic of 9900 is that the physical "end" key actually means END the call. From just about anywhere you might have migrated mid call. This provides additional assurance that the previous caller isn't still listening... a potential privacy issue that hasn't been adequately discussed among the "professions", imo. "End" on Classic, for example, really only ends a call from within phone app. Don't get me started on Q's soft "end" config... lol.

99's browser is substandard by today's standards. It's still good for locating lodging, or dining, or looking up "wiki" type things. In fact, I've noticed some sites are inexplicably working better than even a year ago. Go figure. I like it better than my Classic for browsing McMaster-Carr supply website, for example. Video play is hit and miss, tho. Arguably more miss than hit now days. Lol. US eBay won't work but eBay app still works.

Opera mini frequently works when native browser doesn't but it has its issues now, also. Youtubes seem more reliable on Opera Mini, generally.

Also, considering the years since last browser update, I don't use it for financial activities, for example. All said, I frequently venture solo with 99 and feel confident its browser will handle essential basics. But, I also typically dual carry a "modern" handset when expecting heavier browsing needs.

Also, get latest OS and keep 99's memory limitations in mind. Don't over load its limited memory with apps. Several apps will provide a nightly reboot to help memory "garbage collection". I power my 99 exclusively with batt swaps which has side effect of memory cleaning. Fwiw.
    08-20-17 09:41 PM

Also, get latest OS and keep 99's memory limitations in mind. Don't over load its limited memory with apps. Several apps will provide a nightly reboot to help memory "garbage collection". I power my 99 exclusively with batt swaps which has side effect of memory cleaning. Fwiw.
    I’m curious was there ever a good memory cleaning app for the 9900 in blackberry app world? I have a similar app for my iPhone and I can’t tell you how nice it is not to have to constantly remove Facebook and Twitter every couple of weeks because they collect so much data and just become hogs.
    02-01-18 03:04 AM
    I don't think that's an issue with BBOS, just close the apps when you're done. BlackBerry button and exit.

There's also the usage manager app.
    02-01-18 07:48 AM
    I’m curious was there ever a good memory cleaning app for the 9900 in blackberry app world? I have a similar app for my iPhone and I can’t tell you how nice it is not to have to constantly remove Facebook and Twitter every couple of weeks because they collect so much data and just become hogs.
    You don't really need an app for that. Alt right-Shift Del combo would do the trick, and it is a built-in feature .

Posted via CB10
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    02-03-18 07:38 AM