I am planning to buy a bold 9900 from a site called second vendor, I contacted the seller and he said that BIS doesn't work but other plans will,can anyone help me,I am from India, it's my first blackberry phone,the seller said that bis doesn't work because it is imported
    11-11-18 05:15 AM
    It's not a very functional phone anymore. The browser has all kinds of certificate issues and has not been updated in years. So assume that it's very insecure.

In addition, without BIS, the built in email, BBM, and MMS messaging won't work.

So basically, you can count on being able to make phone calls, text message, and sync calendar, contacts, notes, etc., by USB cord or Bluetooth to a laptop.

See this site for more detail: The Bold Explorer

You may also be able get the apps listed here working: The Bold Explorer - Bold 99xx Working and Dead Apps List
    11-11-18 07:50 AM
    I am planning to buy a bold 9900 from a site called second vendor, I contacted the seller and he said that BIS doesn't work but other plans will,can anyone help me,I am from India, it's my first blackberry phone,the seller said that bis doesn't work because it is imported
    Since this is your first blackberry either consider a blackberry android phone such as the keyone other key2 and there are others in india from optima.
    Or go with Android and add BlackBerry Limited apps from the Play Store. BlackBerry hub is particularly useful but you would also need BlackBerry hub and services which is the supporting apps to link the other BlackBerry applications available on Android,
    11-11-18 07:58 AM
    BIS is dependant on the carrier, not the phone. Meaning, BIS doesn't "break" on the device, but it may no longer be carried by the seller's, or your, carrier.

It will be required to make certain features work, but it has to be provisioned by your carrier. A lot of them have dropped it outright, but some still have it, as long as you have certain kinds of plan.

For example, AT&T in the US still offers a BIS plan, but only for their regular post-paid plans. Not for their cheaper pre-paid plans.

Then, we know that BlackBerry is shutting the whole BIS network down after Dec 2019.

There are ways to use the phone without BIS. It's a bit tricky, but can be done.
    11-11-18 08:04 AM
    Actually I helped my friend set up his Curve, he is from India and i'm from ireland but I was able to search the network provider he uses and there was a code to text. I can confirm that Idea Cellular in India offers BIS services within the last 2 weeks since I helped my friend set up his phone to send emails and everything.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-18 04:11 PM
    Can you fill me in please? What exactly is BIS, and is there a way to receive email on the 9900 with only a wifi connection?
    02-02-19 01:58 AM
    Can you fill me in please? What exactly is BIS, and is there a way to receive email on the 9900 with only a wifi connection?
    BlackBerry Internet Service is what allows a BlackBerry to be connected to your carrier's Data system. Without BIS, your BlackBerry becomes a dumb phone.
    02-02-19 09:25 AM