03-08-12 06:39 PM
43 12
tools
    If you find yourself texting, surfing, and emailing a lot a BB will be worth its weight in gold. You will save so much time because you can type those long email responses on your phone instead of waiting to get to a computer. If you spend more time playing games on your phone get an iPhone.

Also, you won't look like all those other "creative" types with their me-too iPhones, you will stand out as someone who appreciates the right tool for the job if you have a Bold. And the Bold looks way sexier.
    03-07-12 10:34 PM
    Thanks for the input guys!

I got myself a bold 9900 today. Sure I have 14 days to return it, but so far I really like it.

You're right, I indeed only work on Macs (iMac in the office, Macbook Pro for personal use). All work I do on a phone is brainstorming and taking notes. All the graphic and design stuff I get done on the Mac. So that's not an issue for me.

So again thanks for your opinions and we'll see how I feel about it in two weeks.

Thanks guys
    03-07-12 10:46 PM
    Idk which 9930 you had but my 9930 reboots in 2 1/2 minutes.
    I don't get your point??...is that supposed to be good?? I hope that's not the point you were trying to make.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    03-07-12 10:56 PM
    Blackberry: Making technicians out of customers since 1996.
    lol yea
    03-08-12 07:12 AM
    Sync does not work as well.

Also, if the device nukes, there is no reliable way to reload the OS using a Mac. Obviously, loader.exe requires Windows.
    I am a Mac user as well and I have no problem with the DM. Sync works perfectly fine too. To be honest, I find DM on Mac easier to use than on P. (I have a netbook in the past, which I still use occasionally).

The only downside is I can't downgrade the OS. But I always wait for the official OS reviews before I upgrade it
    03-08-12 09:47 AM
    I'm running into my first issues here. Nothing major. I was looking for the the newest update for my BB and all I could find on the Blackberry site was an .exe file. How do you update on a mac? Couldn't find anything.
    03-08-12 09:55 AM
    As far as speed and apps are concerned stay with Apple. If you want a communication work horse then get the bold. One major thing about BlackBerry is how fast you get notified that any message has arrived is the fastest hands down.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    I get email faster on my iPhone 4 than my 9900. Texts are slightly faster.

To the OP, I have both. The 9900 has been in a drawer for over a week now and I've been back on iOS. The keyboard is nice, but the battery life is awful compared to my iPhone (6-7 hours on battery saving mode vs 16-18 hours on iPhone without brightness turned down - the phone died halfway through a trip to Ottawa to a Sens game for GD sake) and the screensize is hard to get used to after using a larger screen. It's a nice phone but I'm not using it daily, that's for sure. Longest I made it was 6 days straight before I called it quits and put my sim back in my iPhone...

Sent from my brain using Tapatalk
    03-08-12 10:04 AM
    I'm running into my first issues here. Nothing major. I was looking for the the newest update for my BB and all I could find on the Blackberry site was an .exe file. How do you update on a mac? Couldn't find anything.
    You can't. If you want to use an OS from a carrier other than your own or a leaked OS, you need a Windows PC.
    03-08-12 10:20 AM
    As was previously mentioned, the Mac version of the Desktop Manager does not support loading leaked OSes. Official releases work fine.

If you want to load a leaked OS, I'd recommend either a virtual machine (VirtualBox is free, you just need an installation of Windows for it, though I use VMWare Fusion) or just borrow someone's Windows PC to do the install.

Everything else should work just fine and dandy outside of that.
    03-08-12 10:38 AM
    I would recomend the Bold for speed of comminication over a fiddly touch screen phone.

Some say about poor battery life however I haven't noticed anything as bad as has been said in some threads.

Go for it, upgrade to a Blackberry.
    03-08-12 12:19 PM
    I know this has been covered numerous times, but BB is mostly about the keyboard giving you the advantage. I had the tour 9630 and it didn't give me much of an advantage over other phones other than the fact that it has a superb keyboard. I tried a bb storm and concluded that it was literally a mess. Then moved to android. Having seen and played around with the 9900/9930 I realized it was a time to move back. Game and certain apps android and ios has the advantage, but anything that is useful for a daily use it being delivered on the bold without a problem with the addition to the great, I say GREAT keyboard.
    03-08-12 12:52 PM
    Okay I get that I cant install any leaked versions of the OS, but isn't 7.1 officially released? I'm still on 7.0 and don't know how to update on my mac.
    03-08-12 01:52 PM
    Okay I get that I cant install any leaked versions of the OS, but isn't 7.1 officially released? I'm still on 7.0 and don't know how to update on my mac.
    The DM will notify you when an updated is released for your device.
    03-08-12 02:46 PM
    I get email faster on my iPhone 4 than my 9900. Texts are slightly faster.

To the OP, I have both. The 9900 has been in a drawer for over a week now and I've been back on iOS. The keyboard is nice, but the battery life is awful compared to my iPhone (6-7 hours on battery saving mode vs 16-18 hours on iPhone without brightness turned down - the phone died halfway through a trip to Ottawa to a Sens game for GD sake) and the screensize is hard to get used to after using a larger screen. It's a nice phone but I'm not using it daily, that's for sure. Longest I made it was 6 days straight before I called it quits and put my sim back in my iPhone...

Maybe you had some apps running in the background because I constantly get 15 plus hours daily. Thats without adjusting the brightness and having 3G and Wifi on ALL day.
    03-08-12 04:37 PM
    ya i think the 9900 is the best along the bb line atm..
    03-08-12 04:47 PM
    I started, and in posted in, that thread. I have to say that the things I missed about BlackBerry may appear simple but they are big. Battery life for instance. Having an Android was great but it was dead before my day was over.

The LED is another. I missed so many years messages without that LED light. Not only that but I had to constantly pick up the Android, wake ii up to see if I had messages. I really love just glancing at my BlackBerry to see if there are messages AND what kind and from whom. Most times I don't even even need to look at it, it is bright.

Having a device that is smaller is a dealbreakers for me now. I want a phone to be portable. Obviously right? But I didn't realize this this til I switched away.

To me, I want a phone to be for phone calls and messaging first. I don't want to do all my browsing, gaming, movies, media on a small phone screen. Even my Android screen was too small to do extended media on.

The durability is another underrated feature. I was also always paranoid about scratching my Android screen. Granted, I'm pretty active and I take my phone hiking, kayaking, geocaching, to the beach.

The little things brought me back. I can't stand predictive text on Android yet I love spell check on BlackBerry! The keyboard was nice on Android but honestly the virtual keyboard on that and the iPhone takes up alot of screen space

All in all it is your needs that need to be met. That thread was posted in the Android section. I made it when I as still using Android! The pros of BlackBerry outweigh the pros of other platforms for me!

I do miss widgets and a few apps.
    03-08-12 05:02 PM
    Maybe you had some apps running in the background because I constantly get 15 plus hours daily. Thats without adjusting the brightness and having 3G and Wifi on ALL day.
    Nope. Not my first time at the rodeo. Only app I had installed was Facebook set up check once an hour. I'd love to know how you get 15 hours because neither of the 9900's at work get close to that, my co worker has hers plugged in halfway through a shift.

03-08-12 05:49 PM
    Nope. Not my first time at the rodeo. Only app I had installed was Facebook set up check once an hour. I'd love to know how you get 15 hours because neither of the 9900's at work get close to that, my co worker has hers plugged in halfway through a shift.
    I get from 16 to 20 hours per charge, depending on use. I have a lot of apps installed on my 9900: 25 or so. But I don't keep them running when not in use, of course. The only app I keep on auto-refresh is BeWeather, at once an hour. Facebook, Twitter, and Go Reader only update when I start them up, which is how I like it anyway. I do get push notifications from FaceBook once in a while, but since I'm not that active on FB I don't get that many.

Other apps, such as PageOnce, Secret Server, Wells Fargo, and the like, are only used once in a while. I do listen to some kind of playback for an hour or so a day, whether it's a podcast or an Audible book, or both. I check news with Go Reader probably half a dozen times a day. I probably get 25-50 emails a day. I sometimes have BeeJive on in the background for a few hours.

I recently got Tapatalk, and that seems to be tough on the battery when in use. When not in use it doesn't use any CPU cycles.

Screen brightness is on 10, timeout at 30 seconds. Wifi usually off, except when at home in the evening. Reception in my office is poor. I set to 2G when I think of it, but I often don't think of it, and it doesn't seem to matter much.

I rarely have to top up my battery before I go to bed at night, and when I do it's because I did something unusally intensive, such as downloading a large podcast, or uploading a bunch of photos to DropBox.

So...that's just for comparison purposes. Your typical usage may be a lot more or a lot less.
    03-08-12 06:39 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD