Hey guys,

As I already said in another topic I am coming from the iPhone and I simply got bored of it. I don't really like android as I find it has to many effects and too much bling.

Just a short description about myself: I'm still young, 21 in fact, and I am working in the advertising business as a creative (there's hardly anyone not having an iPhone, which is not manipulating my decisions - I'm just saying). That means I don't need a BB on a business level I just find the 9900 to look super elegant and I just want to try something new.

So I was about to jump off my chair and get the 9900 in my lunchbreak. Then I was reading this thread (http://forums.crackberry.com/android...kberry-660650/) about what people miss about their BBs after switching to other platforms. I was shocked how many people said that they don't miss anything or maybe just the LED.

I'm now scared to buy an old-fashioned phone from the stone age (I never owned a BB and I'm completely new to it). Since it's fairly expensive for me as a student (I'm working as an intern, so I don't yet have the salary to just buy something I'm really not sure about).

I mean I think I'm over all the fancy colourful apps since I've played around with them for the past 3 years. I'm looking for a phone that is reliable (Googlemaps and traintracking apps on my iPhone left my side in the worst possible moments) and I'm mainly writing emails, texts, twitter, facebook and using Googlemaps. Stuff like that.

I'm asking if I'm going back in time switching to a Blackberry and not needing it as a hardcore business device.

I'm happy hearing your opinions.

Thanks
    03-07-12 01:53 PM
    I would absolutley recommend getting the Bold 9900 in your case. I just switched from Android to BB and this was the best phone decision I've made. I'm like you, in the sense that I mainly use it for social networking, email, text and maps. These things all work wonderfully on the BB, and I lik the simplicity of the OS a lot more than the Android. I had downloaded a bunch of apps that I never really ended up using on my Android, so the fact that those aren't here isn't something that bothers me.

It's a really great phone, with a really great keyboard and a really zippy OS compared to Android (that usually runs faster processors), which basically means that the BB OS gets more bang for its buck. It's a solid phone too, and should last you a while until the next, even more awesome run of BB phones come out when they finally get QNX to work properly on a smartphone level.

Good luck with our choice, and I wholeheartedly recommend the Bold 9900 for you

JB
    03-07-12 02:02 PM
    The 9900 is wonderful. Great performance, and some very cool apps like the augmented-reality version of Wikitude.
    03-07-12 02:08 PM
    I had two blackberries before. I had a 8330 Curve, then I got a Droid after two years of the 8330. A week later I got a Blackberry Storm 2 (9550). Then I thought I *had* to had a cool phone and got an iPhone 4. After 6 months of the iPhone I have it to my daughter and got the 9930 Bold. I switched from the iPhone to the Bold because it's a far, far better as a phone than the iPhone ever was. So was the ancient 8330 and 9550. Email handling is way better on the BB. So is text. There are fewer apps and if there are apps that you cannot live without on the BB then your decision is made for you.

Ancient? Give me a break. Yeah it's been around. There is reason for that. It works. OS7 seems stable and fast. It's not the eye candy iOS is, but it works fine. I find the Bold kicks the iPhone to the curb as a communications device. That's what it's for. The light is nice to have, but I could live without it. I can't live with a mediocre phone and so-so email and messaging, which describes iPhone.
    03-07-12 02:10 PM
    As far as speed and apps are concerned stay with Apple. If you want a communication work horse then get the bold. One major thing about BlackBerry is how fast you get notified that any message has arrived is the fastest hands down.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    03-07-12 02:14 PM
    As for the speed, the 9900/9930 has 1.2 ghZ processor, which is more than fast for most people and I rarely get the clock on the screen. This phone is as fast as any out there right now. I love this phone so much!
    03-07-12 03:28 PM
    I recommend the 9900. However for turn by turn directions, I recommend BB Traffic over any other. I don't use maps that much, but turn by turn on Traffic is excellent.

The only other phones I would recommend or suggest taking a look at over than BB is WP7.
    03-07-12 03:33 PM
    I recommend the 9900. However for turn by turn directions, I recommend BB Traffic over any other. I don't use maps that much, but turn by turn on Traffic is excellent.
    I have come to rely on Telenav. It was just OK. But now it's great.
    03-07-12 04:14 PM
    Well, if you post this in a CB forum of course you're going to have people to tell you to buy a Blackberry. You post it in a Droid forum, you'll get reasons to get a Droid. Same with Apple. Point is, you have to get the device you like and one that does things best for you. I highly recommend you take a little time and read all the threads - both pros and cons - and make your decision. Read about the bricking issues - read about the battery life. I'm not saying they will happen but they could. Just being honest about it.

I have had every Bold made to date and although the 99xx series has the best keyboard, they still have faults. Every device will have their own ups and downs but to me the best thing about RIM/BB is BBM. I could care less if I get a message 17 seconds, 5 minutes, or 10 minutes faster on my BB versus a Iphone or Droid - it's a phone first and foremost. In my personal opinion, BB is drowning and without any new devices until late this year the water is only getting deeper. The point is each platform does certain things better than the others do. I haven't found a device yet that does exactly what I want but then again I never will.

Best of luck in your decision.
    03-07-12 04:15 PM
    I had an Iphone 3GS for one year before selling it and getting my first BB. I don't regret the decision. I had tons of "cool" apps on my Iphone, but regularly used about 10% of them. Reception on the Iphone was crappy. I had constant dropped calls. Tons of dead spots.
    With Blackberry, I rarely ever drop a call, the call quality is excellent, and I will probably get another BB. Just not sure whether to wait for BB10.
    I would urge you to get the BB. I did, and glad I did.
    03-07-12 04:27 PM
    I take it you are on AT&T or T-Mobile? If so (and I'm not knowledgeable about carriers' various offerings except for Verizon), a Blackberry Bold 9900 IMO is a strong choice for your needs. Other choices would be whatever Android OS device is most similar to the Droid 4 on your network or possibly a Windows Phone with a physical keyboard if you are on AT&T. (The Windows Phone would obviously use Bing Maps rather than Google Maps, but in my experience Bing is pretty good too.)
    Last edited by CHIP72; 03-07-12 at 04:35 PM.
    03-07-12 04:32 PM
    This is the give away quote for me; " I am working in the advertising business as a creative" DO NOT buy Bold 99xx because this is a stone age phone when it comes to running creative programs. You can't even load a large high end HD movie on the SD card or internal memory without getting a huge lag.

DO NOT buy this phone for creative work because from my experience, Android and iPhone is better for that kind of work.
    03-07-12 04:37 PM
    This is the give away quote for me; " I am working in the advertising business as a creative" DO NOT buy Bold 99xx because this is a stone age phone when it comes to running creative programs. You can't even load a large high end HD movie on the SD card or internal memory without getting a huge lag.

DO NOT buy this phone for creative work because from my experience, Android and iPhone is better for that kind of work.
    Not to mention the larger screen.
    03-07-12 04:48 PM
    Maybe check out Windows Phone. You may find it suits you better.
    03-07-12 05:47 PM
    To the OP, you mentioned that you are "working in the advertising business as a creative". Do you have a PC or a Mac? BlackBerry is definitely better for a PC user than for a Mac user. BlackBerry Desktop Software for Mac is not at all as capable of Desktop Software for Windows. I would not recommend a BlackBerry for someone who does not have a Windows PC. I just thought I'd ask this question about your computer, since most people I know who are in graphic design use Macs, not PCs.
    03-07-12 05:59 PM
    To the OP, you mentioned that you are "working in the advertising business as a creative". Do you have a PC or a Mac? BlackBerry is definitely better for a PC user than for a Mac user. BlackBerry Desktop Software for Mac is not at all as capable of Desktop Software for Windows. I would not recommend a BlackBerry for someone who does not have a Windows PC. I just thought I'd ask this question about your computer, since most people I know who are in graphic design use Macs, not PCs.
    I thought it is the same Download Manager? What makes the Windows DM better than the Mac version?
    03-07-12 06:03 PM
    I thought it is the same Download Manager? What makes the Windows DM better than the Mac version?
    Sync does not work as well.

Also, if the device nukes, there is no reliable way to reload the OS using a Mac. Obviously, loader.exe requires Windows.
    03-07-12 06:07 PM

I'm running Mac OS X and what I'm missing the most is the ability to load leaked OSes into my device (could be done only with loader.exe).
    Only solution is to use vmWare, or dualboot.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-07-12 06:43 PM
    I would recommend the device. It really isn't an old school OS. If used properly it definitely gets the job done.

Also, you will have 14 or so days to return the device and get your money back. So, why not try it out if you want something new?
    03-07-12 06:56 PM
    I did almost the identical thing as you as I felt I was just tired of Android and wanted something different. I quickly realized that for what I do (same as you), Android was simply on another level compared to the 9930 I had. The screen being the biggest difference. Trust me, you will soon get tired of the small screen, arcane update and app installation process, the slow reboot times and general lack of customization. Battery life was definitely good compared to my phone (Nexus), but that is where the "good" ended for me. If you're with art then I would go the Skyrocket...my brother has one and loves it. He came from the Curve and hasn't looked back.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    03-07-12 07:05 PM
    Everyone else has shared their opinion. Mine is its a workhorse. Fast and smooth. I need more battery bcoz constantly using it.
    And just read your creative company bit... Android and iphones would probably suite you more bcoz of apps may and bigger screen.
    Last edited by guzprom; 03-07-12 at 07:34 PM.
    03-07-12 07:23 PM
    Well this is a textbook case of Bold fits the user, I have tried and tested a truck load of devices like many people on here. From what you have written and state your need is for the phone. The BB 9900 would be a perfect fit.

It has great signal and call quality
    Luxurious Qwerty keyboard - actually the BEST in the business period.
    All the communication apps you could ever want and more

Battery is decent, its getting better too with every OS upgrade, JM1 batteries need to
    be broken in a bit to hold a long charge. you can get a Day out of it, but if you let it
    drain to 20% once a month and then do a full charge you can get a day and a half or more

I have used the BB 9900 as a modem with my iMac when the power was out and it rocked as a Mobile Hotspot !!
    on OS 7.1

Its a Quality Device and Reliable.
    Last edited by vx1; 03-07-12 at 07:52 PM.
    03-07-12 07:49 PM
    I too dumped the iPhone for a BB 9900 and haven't looked back. An iPhone in a case looks like the 2007 model, the BB 9900 looks cool 24/7. For me, it has all the functionality that I need, I can't type on an iPhone, not going to happen. Try one out and see if it works for you, good luck.
    03-07-12 08:17 PM
    Blackberry: Making technicians out of customers since 1996.
    03-07-12 10:20 PM
    I did almost the identical thing as you as I felt I was just tired of Android and wanted something different. I quickly realized that for what I do (same as you), Android was simply on another level compared to the 9930 I had. The screen being the biggest difference. Trust me, you will soon get tired of the small screen, arcane update and app installation process, the slow reboot times and general lack of customization. Battery life was definitely good compared to my phone (Nexus), but that is where the "good" ended for me. If you're with art then I would go the Skyrocket...my brother has one and loves it. He came from the Curve and hasn't looked back.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Idk which 9930 you had but my 9930 reboots in 2 1/2 minutes.
    03-07-12 10:29 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD