It's really too bad... I waited for a Rogers Plus to open launch day just so I could try to get a deal on the hardware in return for my six years of loyalty. I walked in, expressed my interest in the new phone, and began talking to a sales associate. It came down to the fact that a manager wasn't at the store so I would have to wait because apparently there's a internal website that they can log into to try and wrangle me a better deal. I left with promises of a call back... 2 days later, nada.

Then the reviews started rolling in. I think the nail in the coffin was the 720p video that Kevin just posted: "Take 2". And yes, I know the primary purpose of a smartphone is NOT to shoot video, but it speaks volumes to me in terms of quality control. Also, the fact that Kevin jammed his battery by trying to remove his microSD card didn't impress me either.

I'm still going to stay loyal with my 9700 and Playbook. Hopefully the next gen phones are a bit more polished.

Thanks.
    08-11-11 05:47 PM
    Stay loyal to our 9700? You'd drop it in seconds if they gave you the gold medal and Christmas ham you've been expecting for your "Six years of loyalty".

The difference between this video capture and that on similar phones is negligible. There's really only so much you can do with a phone video wise.

If you're p'd because Rogers haven't given you your parade for your 6 years fine, but the idea that the 9900 lacks polish and has quality control issues is just silly.
    Last edited by Brazen9000; 08-11-11 at 06:23 PM.
    ericlc2 likes this.
    08-11-11 05:53 PM
    If you're p'd because Rogers haven't given you your parade for your 6 years fine, but the idea that the 9900 lacks polish and has quality control issues is just silly.
    Agreed. Also, he had image stabilization on, go watch the first video without image stabilization. IMO both look excellent and serve different purposes.

And you're really going to complain about not being able to take out the sim card with the battery still in it? Is that really something to complain about?

My assessment of the phone is that it is a very polished product with a few flaws. It might be the closest thing we get to a perfect blackberry for a long time (the first QNX phones aren't going to have physical keyboards most likely).
    08-11-11 06:01 PM
    Here we go again......and again. People b i t c h and moan about the release (or lack of). Now it has released and all the nit pickers are going to whine and cry. Jesus H.....

Who the h e l l rated this thread five stars?
    08-11-11 06:01 PM
    I think the nail in the coffin was the 720p video that Kevin just posted: "Take 2". And yes, I know the primary purpose of a smartphone is NOT to shoot video, but it speaks volumes to me in terms of quality control.
    Hello:

I just watched the video and I am lost on why you think there is a quality control issue.

Can you explain what you meant?
    08-11-11 06:02 PM

Then the reviews started rolling in.

Thanks.
    What reviews are you talking about? The lack of AF camera?
    08-11-11 06:04 PM
    The hypes only just begun.
    Stay tuned.
    08-11-11 06:07 PM
    That video sample that Kevin posted isn't that good. The one Jon Rettinger did (that I posted in some other threads) is really good. I'll post it again.

08-11-11 06:09 PM
    Yeah because the 9700 didn't have quality control/polish issues....

If anything so far the 9900 has had significantly LESS than the "loyal" phone.
    08-11-11 06:13 PM
    is this guy serious i just watched the video what was wrong with it?
    08-11-11 06:18 PM
    Stay loyal to our 9700? You'd drop it in seconds if they gave you the gold medal and Christmas ham you've been expecting for your "Six years of loyalty"...

I don't have huge expectations regarding my loyalty, but at the same time, I'm not going to blindly hand over my money. Secondly, why silly? Everything I learn about any new device I plan to purchase paints a picture of quality (that's the way I roll). Up until this point, the quality of the 9900 isn't amazing.

Agreed. Also, he had image stabilization on, go watch the first video without image stabilization. IMO both look excellent and serve different purposes.

And you're really going to complain about not being able to take out the sim card with the battery still in it? Is that really something to complain about?

My assessment of the phone is that it is a very polished product with a few flaws. It might be the closest thing we get to a perfect blackberry for a long time (the first QNX phones aren't going to have physical keyboards most likely).
    I did see the first video, that wobbled too.

And yes, being able to remove the sd card is important, why take a step backwards from previous devices?

Agreed that this is probably the best BB on the market. But I still think I'll wait.

Here we go again......and again. People b i t c h and moan about the release (or lack of). Now it has released and all the nit pickers are going to whine and cry. Jesus H.....
    No whining or crying. Just using the forum for its intended purpose. And if I'm going to pay over $400 for a new BB, I expect it to suit my needs in as many ways possible.
    my six years of loyalty.
    Thanks for making me an alcohol abuser! I just spit an almost full sip of beer all over my desk at that comment, what a waste!

6 whole years huh.... hahahahahahahahaha
    ericlc2 likes this.
    Hello:

I just watched the video and I am lost on why you think there is a quality control issue.

Can you explain what you meant?
    Wobbly video among other things, says to me that things were rushed in production or bad parts chosen by the engineers, or maybe Kevin bought a lemon?

What reviews are you talking about? The lack of AF camera?
    Reviews by the users on this site who have purchased a device and are documenting their experiences.

is this guy serious i just watched the video what was wrong with it?
    Yes, serious... Try watching fullscreen in 720p.
    08-11-11 06:27 PM
    That video sample that Kevin posted isn't that good. The one Jon Rettinger did (that I posted in some other threads) is really good. I'll post it again.

Yes, I agree, a much nicer video indeed. Thanks for posting.
    08-11-11 06:33 PM
    I don't fault people for skipping this device; but this is the first BlackBerry I've had that felt comparable to other devices on the market in a LOOONG time.

It's fast. Smooth. The speed, keyboard, and screen are worthy of the hype - they deliver!

But... it's a phone. It's not like the 9700/9780 aren't good.
    08-11-11 06:39 PM
    There is nothing wrong with skipping over this device. But why create a thread about it. It's your hard earn money and you are free to do as you will with it.
    08-11-11 06:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD