One of my complaints about the 9900 as a daily driver is that more and more emails I get are sort of unreadable. Assumption is that the HTML support is bad.

So I crafted an email, from Outlook, that used a bunch of stuff. Different fonts, colours, highlighting, numbered/unordered lists, superscripts, subscripts, etc.

Much to my surprise, almost everything worked. Only emojis did not work. Even pictures attached inline came up in the right place.

So what exactly is the HTML standard that the 9900 supports and what is in that garbage that most people send that causes emails not to render properly?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    10-01-18 11:28 PM
    One of my complaints about the 9900 as a daily driver is that more and more emails I get are sort of unreadable. Assumption is that the HTML support is bad.

So I crafted an email, from Outlook, that used a bunch of stuff. Different fonts, colours, highlighting, numbered/unordered lists, superscripts, subscripts, etc.

Much to my surprise, almost everything worked. Only emojis did not work. Even pictures attached inline came up in the right place.

So what exactly is the HTML standard that the 9900 supports and what is in that garbage that most people send that causes emails not to render properly?

Good idea!
    If I recall correctly (and I don't really pretend to know what I'm talking about) Outlook uses a proprietary 'non-standard' format for Email, so it may also be worth trying your Email test from other clients to see what the results are.
    I think that most of the problems arise when the 9900 mail client is presented with complex HTML formatted emails, with numerous embedded hyperlinks - displaying images etc.
    Due to browser constraints, I'm rarely using my 9900 nowadays so I'm not really going to be much help in the short term.
    10-02-18 07:24 AM
    Well, I tried a bit more, what I consider to be fairly complicated e-mails. Headings, sub-headings, hyperlinks, embedded images. All sorts of font formatting including super/subscript, colors, highlighting, odd fonts, Asian fonts. Tables, lists, etc.

The good ol' Bold has zero problems with it. I'm suspecting most of those unreadable emails have a lot of embedded automatic tracking junk or some such...oh well such is 'progress' I guess. Everything is bigger, more complicated but it doesn't deliver anything new for the end user.

10-02-18 01:48 PM
    Must be the most epic email test ever and I think the Bold passed with flying colours!

I copy & pasted an entire graduate thesis template into Outlook, added some inline images for good measure and sent off the 25 page document as an HTML email.

No problem! The 9900 easily handled it. Very smooth scrolling too. The only thing that didn't work was cross-references as the copy & paste didn't translate it correctly to HTML. The within document hyperlinks came out fine (which is what the cross references should have been), it rendered and displayed correctly and was a proper hyperlink but clicking on it didn't jump to the correct section.

So many tables, links to the web, to the document, headings, images, lists, etc and no problem. The real issue, as I had suspected, lies in the senders sending out garbage posing as proper emails!

10-05-18 10:34 PM
    Must be the most epic email test ever and I think the Bold passed with flying colours!

I copy & pasted an entire graduate thesis template into Outlook, added some inline images for good measure and sent off the 25 page document as an HTML email.

No problem! The 9900 easily handled it. Very smooth scrolling too. The only thing that didn't work was cross-references as the copy & paste didn't translate it correctly to HTML. The within document hyperlinks came out fine (which is what the cross references should have been), it rendered and displayed correctly and was a proper hyperlink but clicking on it didn't jump to the correct section.

So many tables, links to the web, to the document, headings, images, lists, etc and no problem. The real issue, as I had suspected, lies in the senders sending out garbage posing as proper emails!

This is interesting (and sad) because one of the main reasons I ended up throwing my 9900 in the drawer in favor of a Classic was because so many emails came through as mostly jibberish so I would go on my computer to check my Gmail. I also had the issue of sending work emails out only to have someone say that on their end it would say something to the effect of "this sender may not be who they appear to be" spoofing stuff that started to get embarrassing. Been on my Classic since but still miss using my Bold. I've since changed jobs and email outside of business hours isn't a big deal anymore so maybe I'll dust that ol' guy off and give it another go after all....

Posted via CB10
    10-16-18 04:28 PM