Having used the EVO extensively since its launch, I really wanted to give myself every chance to explore the Android system. I found myself becoming a little frustrated from time to time by little things and amazed by others. I decided that Android is a great mobile system and I love how I can customize my phone to be, well "my" phone. It is a great multimedia system BUT I need my phone to be a phone first. Blackberry has always been a solid performer for me, always a good clear signal, clear voice, solid messaging from texts to emails. I don't use my Bold to surf the internet just occasionally for quick information. I do like the virtual keyboard on the EVO nice and big but I find I need a more tactile keyboard,simple and easy and a workhorse. Besides I always felt like I had a "toy" not a smartphone. Are some things easier on the EVO, sure such as navigation great screen for it but I usually listen more than look. The calendars I used was third party which was great. Looks good but that's due to the larger screen.
    I really do feel RIM can catch up they just need to listen more closely to their customers and attempt to implement them into their new BBX system. As far as apps are concerned, most apps are useless both in Android and iPhone. Blackberries just get things done, clean, simple and straight forward. It just works can it use an overhaul in its OS aesthetics, sure it can be simplified, cleaner but it works. I for one like OS7 and I'm sure that BBX will make the OS better. I wouldn't concentrate on how many apps Blackberry can squeeze into their App World but continue to design clean and reliable phones. The 9930 has to be the most "handsome" phone out there, the rest look all the same with the slab or candy bar design. Good apps that make sense and are useful should be in App World not several hundred apps that really do not much of anything other than take up space on your phone. Quality not quantity.
    Just my opinion and happy to be back in black, Blackberry.
    Last edited by waukeshaberry; 11-20-11 at 01:36 PM.
    11-20-11 01:24 PM
    I switched from a EVO to my 9930. When, not if, yours starts rebooting multiple times a day, you will be regretting coming back like I am. It's a sweet phone but to many issues. I can see why rim is tanking. Sell it while you can before it starts acting up. Now if rim CAN fix this with a software update, I could give them a second chance. But I don't see this happening. They are concentrating on BBX. Should have made OS7 solid before continuing on to keep customers happy.
    DocZ likes this.
    11-20-11 01:32 PM
    I switched from a EVO to my 9930. When, not if, yours starts rebooting multiple times a day, you will be regretting coming back like I am. It's a sweet phone but to many issues. I can see why rim is tanking. Sell it while you can before it starts acting up. Now if rim CAN fix this with a software update, I could give them a second chance. But I don't see this happening. They are concentrating on BBX. Should have made OS7 solid before continuing on to keep customers happy.
    I don't know but I would think they would have several teams. Since OS7 and BBX are completely different I would think that they would a team for each.

Yes RIM needs to either find the key in an OS update or find it is a hardware thing and correct and replace units as needed.
    11-20-11 01:42 PM
    For a company that was on top, to drop to dead last, would think shareholders would fire the CEO for better leadership. Just plain shameful.
    DocZ likes this.
    11-21-11 09:51 PM
    I also came back from the HTC Evo and love my Bold. I figured out what it was too. See, the HTC Evo is a display phone. It does some awesome things that just wow users at the store but you never really use most of them or need them in my case. Windshield wipers on the weather app? What for?
    The Bold, like RIM, has no knowledge of marketing or "display mode", but it has the most incredible UI. I was at the gym today on the t-mill and the father of one of my kid's friend came over to confirm a birthday party my wife set-up. I was playing BBM Music and without needing to stop for "display mode" I just clicked a media key I had preset and it launched my calendar. I gave him the info and kept running.

BlackBerry devices are not mean to be worshiped or for marketing display. They are real world, real life tools that work great. They just make sense.

Nothing against the droid though. My wife kept hers and loves it. I'm just in love with the Bold, the keyboard, the security, the shortcuts, the reliable communications, and finally with the OS7 devices the web and youtube experience. To each his own, I have a small business and need reliable, real time info that is secure.

The BlackBerry is a tool to maximize the users life. Not a display to wow people at a store.

I love my Bold 9930. Thanks for posting this. I agree.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 11-21-11 at 10:58 PM.
    Chrisy and morrsn like this.
    11-21-11 10:55 PM
    I also owned the Evo and felt the same way. The Evo had an awesome screen and browsing ability, but most of its strong points were useless and drained battery. I love my 9930 for how well it helps me get through the day. The Bold is focused on being a communication device and I still look for that in a phone. I really enjoy my 9930 even after a "brick"(I dont know if I can handle another one so get it fixed RIM) I wouldn't trade it for anything
    11-21-11 11:21 PM
    I had an EVO B4, Im not mad I switched. I lov my BB. I also have an iphone4 so I guess Im spolied.
    11-22-11 01:46 AM
  8. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    I also owned the Evo and felt the same way. The Evo had an awesome screen and browsing ability, but most of its strong points were useless and drained battery. I love my 9930 for how well it helps me get through the day. The Bold is focused on being a communication device and I still look for that in a phone. I really enjoy my 9930 even after a "brick"(I dont know if I can handle another one so get it fixed RIM) I wouldn't trade it for anything
    Well said ... and I agree ... with the latest software upgrade.. the battery life is remarkable too ... no complaints... Bold 9900 user since August 8th ....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-11 01:51 AM
    BlackBerry devices are not mean to be worshiped or for marketing display. They are real world, real life tools that work great. They just make sense.
    I couldn't have said it better. nice.
    11-22-11 02:00 AM
    I tried android. Twice. I couldnt take 28 days of android the first time, and even less the next go around. The ONLY thing I miss about my android was google maps and navigation. BB maps can never find anything!
    11-22-11 09:59 AM

The BlackBerry is a tool to maximize the users life. Not a display to wow people at a store.
    Oh wow. They should make an ad based on this .

Well said. My thoughts exactly.
    11-22-11 10:44 AM
    Thanks guys for the replies. I agree with every comment posted so far. Android is cool and fun but as a phone first, forget it. As with iPhones, great devices and fun to use but when I need to get things done, calendar, tasks, meetings and of course making tons of phone calls I need the security, the messenging strength that Blackberries are known for. I feel aesthitically the Bold is by far the most "handsome" device RIM has designed. The size feels right in my hands and as I stated in my post I really only use the Internet to look up quick information, such as movie times, or restaurants little things like that, also I do not spend time watching YouTube either. I don't Twitter, or Facebook or anything like that. I'm too busy for things like that. When I do things like that it's when I have down time even then I don't, I like to go outside and live life, hang out with friends, family, make new friends.
    Smartphones are here to assist with everyday things in our busy lives. Then again I'm 43 and realize that this generation is a media driven generation. Soon this generation wouldn't know how to physically interact with other humans because they just text, or Twitter or Facebook. Just like email is now the norm instead of writing letters or going to the library now we "Google" it. It has been intertwined in everyday life it has become part of our vocabulary. Forgive my ranting a little bit. This is why I feel RIM will not fail and that they understand their core consumers and that they need business/life tools to make our lives easier in a sense so we can spend more time with people instead of exploring life through a text or YouTube.
    11-22-11 04:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD