Text mode on; image stabilization on; flash on; max zoom; actual distance from card, about 2.5 ft. That is, it's on my desk, and I'm standing over it. It's not perfect, and I don't know if I needed the flash on, but it's easily readable.

bigpalm, JR A, profanity and 5 others like this.
    12-07-11 12:20 PM
    well, it sux completely!
    12-07-11 01:27 PM
    Looks like a shameless plug....
    12-07-11 01:35 PM
    OP...Thanks for the tip!
    12-07-11 01:38 PM
    Looks like a shameless plug....
    It happens to be the only card I have on my desk. I don't make or sell or have any interest in the product. I just play them.

@azie -- It's not a work of art, but exactly how good do you need a snap of a business card to be?
    12-07-11 01:39 PM
    It happens to be the only card I have on my desk. I don't make or sell or have any interest in the product. I just play them.

@azie -- It's not a work of art, but exactly how good do you need a snap of a business card to be?
    ubizmo, you look like a mature man, so i can ask you directly.
    why, but why do you try to find a good excuse for RIM? the lack of autofocus is absolutely incredible. you produce a mobile phone in 2011 with specifications for 2007 and i have to nod my head and to accept it as the ultimate truth in the world?
    i payed the full price for the phone, the amount of money was enough to buy a lot of mobile phones from competition. i choosed blackberry for the email, important to my business.
    even so, we have to admit that the battery and the camera are equals to 0. as i said on another thread, the partenership between me and Rim is not honest. they lied to me.
    12-07-11 01:53 PM
    the lack of autofocus is absolutely incredible.
    Auto focus would make the 9900 the perfect device for me. RIM chose to use a camera without auto focus to make the 9900 thin, but i'd rather have it a few millimeters thicker to accommodate the auto focus.

My 9900 arrives today, i'm excited, but I'm going to be fully aware of the camera limitations.
    Jberry32 likes this.
    12-07-11 02:04 PM
    Auto focus would make the 9900 the perfect device for me. RIM chose to use a camera without auto focus to make the 9900 thin, but i'd rather have it a few millimeters thicker to accommodate the auto focus.

My 9900 arrives today, i'm excited, but I'm going to be fully aware of the camera limitations.
    wrong!
    check Galaxy Samsung's thickness and camera!
    12-07-11 02:10 PM
    Really sucks not having auto-focus. the battery life and camera of the 9700 in the 9900`s form factor = winner!

I really dont get how these multi million $ � company's who are in the business of providing a product that is duplicated millions of times (its not like there made by hand), I would have thought that improving on the last model was high on the list as surely satisfying customers equals customer retention?

I am at a cross roads sadly as I will have to think very hard next renewal as to what manufacturer I will opt for, and believe me even writing that makes a lump stick in my throat.
    the combination of a ridiculous battery (battery problem by far out weighs the camera issue) and no auto focus in my opinion
    from my experience thus far with my 9900 I am at a loss as to what they are doing, it really seems like a step backwards, which is a real shame.
    Last edited by gadgetier; 12-07-11 at 02:25 PM.
    Jberry32 and azie like this.
    12-07-11 02:22 PM
    why, but why do you try to find a good excuse for RIM? the lack of autofocus is absolutely incredible. you produce a mobile phone in 2011 with specifications for 2007 and i have to nod my head and to accept it as the ultimate truth in the world?
    i payed the full price for the phone, the amount of money was enough to buy a lot of mobile phones from competition. i choosed blackberry for the email, important to my business.
    even so, we have to admit that the battery and the camera are equals to 0. as i said on another thread, the partenership between me and Rim is not honest. they lied to me.
    In all fairness, Ubizmo generally (IME) gives balanced feedback. He even tried Android!
    12-07-11 02:25 PM
    Offering advice on macro shots isn't the same thing as excusing the removal of AF cameras...
    12-07-11 02:40 PM
    Well I just thought my camera was jacked up...I didn't realize that the camera on rims "high end" model was of lessor quality than the camera on the torch curve or even the pearl. I'm so dissipointed. I just sold my 9810 too. I'm tempted to ebay this 9900 or flat out trade it for a 9810. I didn't realize how important that auto focus really is. And the funny the thing is that they actually have the setting for a close up shot. Rim needs to get there sh!t together. The new phones better have it all.
    Jberry32 likes this.
    12-07-11 03:39 PM
    Offering advice on macro shots isn't the same thing as excusing the removal of AF cameras...
    Yup..he's just trying to help us deal with the crappy camera. Thanks! BTW
    StephE likes this.
    12-07-11 04:01 PM
    People need to quit complaining about the 99XX's camera.

Almost everyone knows, or can find out very easily, that the 99XX doesn't have AF for whatever reason. If that fact makes you mad, or not like the phone. Then DON'T BUY IT! That's the best way to show RIM how you feel. If AF is that important to you, then the 99XX isn't the phone for you (it really is that simple). If you bought a 99XX and are now complaining about the camera, then it's your own fault, you knew what you were buying. Also, almost every place you can buy a 99XX you get some sort of trial period (I personally haven't seen a place that doesn't), so you had a chance to return the phone if you didn't like the camera.

So in conclusion, if you're a 99XX user who complains about the camera, STOP, you're only making yourself look like a completely uninformed, lazy, foolish moron. Seems pretty simple to me...
    nuangel2, Snap51, Sharma15 and 6 others like this.
    12-07-11 04:33 PM
    Well I just thought my camera was jacked up...I didn't realize that the camera on rims "high end" model was of lessor quality than the camera on the torch curve or even the pearl. I'm so dissipointed. I just sold my 9810 too. I'm tempted to ebay this 9900 or flat out trade it for a 9810. I didn't realize how important that auto focus really is. And the funny the thing is that they actually have the setting for a close up shot. Rim needs to get there sh!t together. The new phones better have it all.
    Shouldn't be hard to swap for a 9810 considering the 9810 is normally $50 subsidized and the 9900 isn't even close.
    12-07-11 04:38 PM
    Almost every carrier gives you a 2 (two) WEEK TRIAL period on new equipment, after those 14 (fourteen) days are UP, and yes I spelled it like that to stress the fact, you can either EXCHANGE or RETURN and get your money back, minus the restocking fee....

I don't understand how so much nonsense can come from such a small thing, OMG, my phone doesn't have auto-focus, I can't get a clear picture cause my hands aren't stable. I could have sworn you were buying a phone, not a camera The rest of the phone sucks anyways right, such a horrible crappy keyboard, the speed of the phone is so slow compared to the others, even the capabilities are horrible, however did I get mobile hotspot on my device, who wants that garbage.... People just find so much to complain about these days, and all that was sarcasm I hope you people understand
    12-07-11 04:55 PM
    Mature? I'm on the ragged edge of senile! But my purpose wasn't to make excuses for RIM. It was to demonstrate something. I have my own issues with the 9900, i.e., battery life. Upgrading specs while downgrading the battery seems like a Bad Idea. The only reason I haven't returned it is that I really like the phone otherwise, and at least some others are getting good battery life, so hope springs eternal. But a BB with battery life like an Android isn't exactly the smartphone Sweet Spot.

But I digress.

There are too many people around here saying that the lack of AF makes the camera "useless", etc. The fact is, AF has advantages and disadvantages, and the best approach is to understand what they are, and choose accordingly. People are claiming that the 9900 is "no good" for taking photos of business cards, which is something that business people may want to do. Someone reading these assertions might believe them, but they're false. You can take passable, readable, pictures of documents and business cards with the 9900. If that's the only thing you need AF for, then you shouldn't be skittish about getting a 9900. That's all I wanted to demonsrate.

Some people need AF for more demanding things, such as taking close-up photos of pruducts such as fine jewelry, etc. For them, the kind of photo I took just isn't good enough, and they should get a phone with AF.

I happen to like to take pictures of beer. I find a nice pint of IPA incredibly photogenic, just before I drink it. I get teased about this, but I wanted to be sure I could do this with the 9900.

The 9900's EDoF camera has advantages too, notably absence of focus lag and, well, extended depth of field. People who actually take time to learn the various camera options will find that it's far from useless. This isn't an "excuse"; it's just an observation. It may well be that most people really need AF. But it doesn't help anyone to claim tbat you simply can't take usable close-up photos at all with the 9900.
    12-07-11 07:29 PM
    I didn't realize how much I missed a good camera until I tried to scan a QR code. Gag me. The 9900 is the best BlackBerry I've had, but with a proper camera it would be almost perfect.
    Jberry32 likes this.
    12-08-11 12:07 AM
    I didn't realize how much I missed a good camera until I tried to scan a QR code. Gag me. The 9900 is the best BlackBerry I've had, but with a proper camera it would be almost perfect.
    Then you aren't using a good QR code reader. BBM and any good QR code scanner uses the 720p video camera to scan the code, not the still camera. I have no problems scanning BBM barcodes or any other QR codes for that matter with my QR scanner app.
    12-08-11 12:57 AM
    The pictures I took made me realized how bad this camera is for me. I am getting rid of the 9900 and will give a chance to the bold 9790.
    12-08-11 01:09 AM
    Then you aren't using a good QR code reader. BBM and any good QR code scanner uses the 720p video camera to scan the code, not the still camera. I have no problems scanning BBM barcodes or any other QR codes for that matter with my QR scanner app.
    Curious, but QR scanner app do you use?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-11 01:09 AM
    The only time I tried this was when pairing with the PlayBook. It read that QR code without any trouble, and without a special app for it. Of course, the PB screen is bright, and maybe under normal lighting conditions it's harder to get it to work.
    12-08-11 07:37 AM
    Curious, but QR scanner app do you use?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Its called QR Scan Now

Here it is on App World:
    Buy QR Scan Now - Download QR Scan Now - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World
    12-08-11 02:17 PM
    For a QR Code Reader, the one in the AppWorld menu has always worked for me (Open AppWorld> Hit menu button> Scan a Barcode). It has scanned every QR code I've ever tried, from posters, items in stores, PC and PlayBook screens, and random documents at work. I think the 9930 might even be faster than my old 9650 was at reading it. The new AppWorld is really nice because "Scan a Barcode" is the very first thing selected when you open the menu. You can be scanning a barcode even before AppWorld loads all the way. I have AppWorld in my QuickLaunch list just for this reason.

As for the camera in the 99XX, what I have personally found when taking pics of text/business cards is holding the phone farther away and zooming in to fill the screen with the text. I don't know why, but it works better for me. I don't really have any issue with the lack of AF, the camera suits my needs just fine.
    12-08-11 05:06 PM
    Here's another sample of close-up. I hope others will try this and post in this thread, for the benefit of people looking for examples of close-up photos in one place.

In this instance, I was in a bar with dim lighting. I used Text Mode again, from about 2 feet this time, with zoom, and flash. The money is there to give you an idea of the scale. I think it's quite readable.
    anon(4166778) and bigpalm like this.
    12-08-11 05:35 PM
80 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD