I use both platforms and both have their advantages and disadvantages, neither is by definition better than the other. Blackberry is a messaging device that also runs apps. It's the best messaging device on the planet hands down, both hardware and software. Android is a mobile computer that focuses on running apps, some of which also do messaging. Third party application management on Blackberry is mediocre at best (though it is getting better, with QNX on the horizon we cant really expect much more improvement on the old platform). Android web browsing blows Blackberry away (even though it has gotten better), and has top notch Google integration. Blackberry does it to (except when carriers kill Google Search), but it is not as well done or integrated into the core OS like it is on Android. Messaging apps on Android range from crappy to really good with most somewhere in the middle and the user has to search to find what ones work for them since the stock apps are often the crappy ones. In general Blackberry devices get better cellular reception than Android (Motorola hardware usually being the exception here).
    09-01-11 10:14 PM
    Forgive me for my ignorance...Those 70 million users and $20 Bilion in rev is just a fallacy.
    Those 70 million users are mostly in the developing world and are using trackball blackberry's. Selling cheap phones in the third world has not worked well for Nokia, who is a hair's breadth from being eaten by Microsoft. Phone companies make their money on high-margin smartphones.

Just sayin'.
    09-02-11 12:31 AM
    Those 70 million users are mostly in the developing world and are using trackball blackberry's. Selling cheap phones in the third world has not worked well for Nokia, who is a hair's breadth from being eaten by Microsoft. Phone companies make their money on high-margin smartphones.

Just sayin'.
    You say that like there aren't a couple dozen Android makers out there cranking out super cheap, low-end phones that account for a large portion of Android's market share...
    09-02-11 01:58 AM
    Forgive me for my ignorance...Those 70 million users and $20 Bilion in rev is just a fallacy.
    and forgive me for mine. I do believe RIM has lost nearly half it's Market share to Android and Apple. It drops about 4-5 points every quarter.

Must be fallacy of some sort......I'm sure of it.

Sept 2008, Rim was sitting on 42% marketshare.
    July 2011, RIM is sitting on rougly 21% marketshare.

Again, I must be reading the numbers all wrong....

Next quarter, RIM will be BELOW 20%......it's bleeding marketshare and it can't stop.
    09-02-11 02:00 AM
    But although their market share has shrunk, the smartphone market has expanded so they are still selling more phones. It's not like the smartphone market is a static amount and they are dwindling down to no customers.

And most Android adopters have yet to make it through their original 2-year commitment. It will be interesting to see how much churn starts happening after that. I hear as many people grumbling about it as people praising it.
    09-02-11 02:22 AM
    Everybody thinks I'm hot.
    09-02-11 02:29 AM
    OMG...It's pity,presently, i still no one,age 22,but my brother own a type:Star X12 4.1 inch Android 2.2 GPS TV Capacitive Touch
    Now i hard work to earn enough money to buy one...
    09-02-11 04:45 AM
    But although their market share has shrunk, the smartphone market has expanded so they are still selling more phones. It's not like the smartphone market is a static amount and they are dwindling down to no customers.
    Exactly, RIM is selling more Blackberry smartphones than EVER before and they are still growing in spite of gloom and doom rumors. This is a simple fact. RIM is getting more more churn than ever before but it's not as massive as the media would have us believe.

And most Android adopters have yet to make it through their original 2-year commitment. It will be interesting to see how much churn starts happening after that. I hear as many people grumbling about it as people praising it.
    Some will go to other OS's (Blackberry, WP7, iOS), others will just go to another Android OEM, or sequel devices. I honestly don't expect there to be a great deal of platform churn. Android has a great deal of diversity in their hardware and software (skins), and once you've gone Android you have usually switched everything to Google (email, contacts, calendar, etc.) and while you can integrate these things on other platforms it is not as easy as with Android.

I think RIM will gain some of their market-share back with these new devices, but not a great deal. Carries are not yet actively pushing Blackberry anymore and they have not started pushing WP7, and as we get blogs and tech geeks like us might talk about things the vast majority of people who upgrade their cel phones either buy that device they see on commercials OR what they carrier sales person recommends..
    09-03-11 11:16 AM
    I think RIM will gain some of their market-share back with these new devices, but not a great deal. Carries are not yet actively pushing Blackberry anymore and they have not started pushing WP7, and as we get blogs and tech geeks like us might talk about things the vast majority of people who upgrade their cel phones either buy that device they see on commercials OR what they carrier sales person recommends..
    I actually doubt that RIM will gain any market share back considering that next month is supposedly when iPhone 5 and Droid Prime (Verizon) are released. Also the SGS2 devices for Sprint, AT&T, and T-Mobile have yet to even be released. Surveys continually show time and time again that RIM is always far behind Android and iOS in terms of what next smartphone people want to buy next.
    09-03-11 12:34 PM
    Google functionality on Android is becoming a huge draw. If Google actually ever advertised that (or advertised Android at all), they'd pick up even more subscribers.

For now, I think BB is still in it, but I still think it'll take some serious spurring of application development. The platform has plenty going for it.
    09-03-11 02:43 PM
85 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD