RIM and Apple will never be able to keep up with the Android hardware race. They are competing against too many manufacturers. LG, Sony, Samsung, HTC, Motorola just to name a few.

And these manufacturers of Android devices have 1 less thing to worry about, the OS. They have Google to take care of that for them.
    You would think that is true, but in reality it is not. All the mfg's you mention feel the need to put thier custom UI's on top of pure Android. This is Androids biggest weekness. OS updates are all over the place. Many phones are still not updated to gingerbread. I also dont think its necessary to release handsets at a feverish pace. Just make sure what you release, even once a year, has the hardware specs to keep up from becoming outdated within weeks of its release. That is where RIM has fallen down and Apple has exceled.

The one to watch is WP7. They have filled the void between the all over place android and locked down Apple eco systems.
    09-01-11 08:11 AM
    I don't think RIM needs to keep up with the frenetic pace of Android.

For one, Android is a what I call a variant market. When it comes to "high-end" Android devices, what some may see as several new handsets being released is truly one basic model with staggered releases across the carriers. When you check the specs of some of the superphones, they are not that different. Even across generations, the upgrades may or may not be tangible. For instance, I don't consider the new EVO 3D a serious upgrade from my EVO 4G.

Now, I think RIM should ignore all that, and focus on quality hardware. They need to spur third-party development of the ecosystem via app creation, and also figure out ways to increase mindshare. One big aspect that I think will help with this (that some BB vets will sneer at) is a secure push towards cloud computing.

Or, just take the consumer part of the business as a positive byproduct of a renewed focus on Enterprise.
    09-01-11 09:18 AM

For one, Android is a what I call a variant market. When it comes to "high-end" Android devices, what some may see as several new handsets being released is truly one basic model with staggered releases across the carriers. When you check the specs of some of the superphones, they are not that different. Even across generations, the upgrades may or may not be tangible. For instance, I don't consider the new EVO 3D a serious upgrade from my EVO 4G.

Now, I think RIM should ignore all that, and focus on quality hardware. They need to spur third-party development of the ecosystem via app creation, and also figure out ways to increase mindshare. One big aspect that I think will help with this (that some BB vets will sneer at) is a secure push towards cloud computing.

Or, just take the consumer part of the business as a positive byproduct of a renewed focus on Enterprise.
    I gurss RIM doesn't have to release a new phone as often asas Android does necessarily

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-11 09:54 AM
    To be fair you have... 3? 4? Companies continuously releasing their devices with android on it. If you were to only look at one manufacturer, say Motorola, then the frequency at which they release new phones falls more in line with RIM. Same with Apple - isnt it typically a year between models? With that being said this last gap between RIM phones (about 1.5 years?) was too long.
    Agreed, but if you look at the devices they do release, they're typically better both HW & SW wise than the previous models. This hasn't been the norm for RIM as of late. Also sales. No BlackBerry has ever sold 1.7 million phones in it's first 3 days at market. More on this below.

RIM and Apple will never be able to keep up with the Android hardware race. They are competing against too many manufacturers. LG, Sony, Samsung, HTC, Motorola just to name a few.

And these manufacturers of Android devices have 1 less thing to worry about, the OS. They have Google to take care of that for them.
    Exactly! Good thing is they don't need to. You don't have to oversaturate the market to be successful. RIM can release 2-4 devices a year and still be successful. In order for this to happen however, the HW & SW is going to have to be top notch. The HW doesn't HAVE to be groundbreaking for each device, but it needs to be at the very top of the class if the above route is to be successful.

As usual, we agree. If you focus on a few devices and make them the very best possible, you have a better chance, IMHO. As seen with the current crop of OS7 devices(mainly 99xx) RIM can deliver good HW. From here on out the processor won't be the issue that plagues the device. The main focus needs to be on the software and delivering the very best QNX has to offer. RIM has a fine line to walk with it's products because it's targeting two very different demo's; corporate & consumer. QNX can be the equalizer if utilized properly, as the kernel already has FIPS cert. But the main thing is drawing in new customers and more importantly getting existing users of other platforms over to BB and the current platform just isn't going to do it.

RIM knows this and is working towards it. As for the cloud, it's going to be the direction all mobile OS's head towards. And Apple has the lead.

How sweet would it be to sync docs, contacts, calendar pics, apps, etc etc from your BlackBerry, to your PlayBook & your laptop/desktop with no effort?? Absolutely fricking awesome! RIM will put out it's own version of secure cloud support, but when it does it needs to innovate with the idea. It's far time for RIM to be a leader and not a follower.
    09-01-11 10:18 AM
    I thought we were above finding faults / condemning other devices / OS.
    Obviously I was wrong.
    09-01-11 10:33 AM
    A friend of mine was giving me a hard time about my 9900 and how much better his phone was compared to mine....
    So naturally I challenged him to a little contest.
    First we used a pc and sent an email to both of us, we both have Telus accounts, and since android polls for mail (his set to 1/2 hour) it's 1 point BB.
    He got me on camera apps and his browser was easy to read but I smoked him on the typing speed/errors test and for the kicker, he was getting kind of smug, I said "Okay, let's set our brightness to 10 and go out side (bright sunny day) and run the test again.... He couldn't even see his screen and got pwned by default! So should someone give ya the blues about your phone ask them "you wanna step outside". LOL
    Wow..so your friend has email polling set to 1/2 hr and your BB beat him?! Give yourself a pat on the back for that one!

Of course his phone smoked yours in all other tests but typing and outside screen brightness (when turned down all the way?)..Well then..I guess that seals the deal. BB's FTW!!

I guess all the world records for fastest typing on a smartphone aren't including BB's keyboards..cuz there is just NO way a virtual keyboard could be faster amirite?
    09-01-11 10:44 AM
    I thought we were above finding faults / condemning other devices / OS.
    Obviously I was wrong.
    This has actually become a pretty good conversation. Thicken up that skin buddy.
    09-01-11 10:48 AM
    Wow, the OP really got the Android crowd worked into a tizzy on this one. It's funny to see how incredibly defensive they become when you say anything negative about the platform.

This whole BB/iOS/Android is a such ridiculous comparison. It's like saying let's compare Ford vs. Chevy vs. all Asian-made cars. Then you cherry pick the arguments to apply to the high-end hardware or the cheap prices of the low-end ones.

At least Apple and RIM are building an environment, an Eco-system. The Android makers are looking to sell hardware. They don't get a share of the Android profits downstream, the only way they will make more money is to sell more handsets, which translates into quick turnover and little long-term support. According to my VZW rep, they've got 3 new BB products coming this year, one Apple device and 20 Android phones. Just between now and the end of the year. Even with BBOS7 being a stop-gap, I bet it will get much longer support and improvement than the majority of those 20 Android phones. You can hope the Android open community will support the one you choose, but who knows if it will sell enough to garner that support.
    09-01-11 11:36 AM
    Wow, the OP really got the Android crowd worked into a tizzy on this one. It's funny to see how incredibly defensive they become when you say anything negative about the platform.

This whole BB/iOS/Android is a such ridiculous comparison. It's like saying let's compare Ford vs. Chevy vs. all Asian-made cars. Then you cherry pick the arguments to apply to the high-end hardware or the cheap prices of the low-end ones.

At least Apple and RIM are building an environment, an Eco-system. The Android makers are looking to sell hardware. They don't get a share of the Android profits downstream, the only way they will make more money is to sell more handsets, which translates into quick turnover and little long-term support. According to my VZW rep, they've got 3 new BB products coming this year, one Apple device and 20 Android phones. Just between now and the end of the year. Even with BBOS7 being a stop-gap, I bet it will get much longer support and improvement than the majority of those 20 Android phones. You can hope the Android open community will support the one you choose, but who knows if it will sell enough to garner that support.
    I don't think the Android users are in a tizzy as you say. Most of is on here actually use both Android and BB OS. If anything it's you hard core BB users that deny the fact that if BB doesn't continue to up it's game that
    they'll be up **** creek. Sure they continue to grow in new and emerging markets but here in North America that's no longer the case. Stale hardware and software have slowed sales of BB devices. Hopefully the new lineup which is pretty nice will help. I don't think you understand that most of us Android users here want to see BB be successful. Noone is really hating on BB, just thinking about what BB needs to stay ahead of the game.

09-01-11 12:05 PM
    i am glad rim doesnt keep up with the pace that android phones are out. thats one of the worst things i hated about android devices. i had the original droid/milestone, and within a year, its value dropped by 1/8th. its absurd. there's just too big of a supply for android devices, they cant keep their value.
    09-01-11 12:15 PM
    Android FTW.

I don't hate blackberry, But I think blackberry is for people text to much

DON'T BASH ME. It's my opinion.

I went to Phones 4u to check the 9900, And I didn't quit like it(No offence)
    Again, MY OPINION!.
    None taken I haven't quit liking the 9930 either.
    AceStreaming likes this.
    09-01-11 12:22 PM
    Anyone else getting a West Side Story vibe from this "battle"? One gang advances clicking their keyboards only to be chased back by the other gang waving their browsers.

Of course the Android gang wins the battle because they all had their chargers with them and swung them like chains
    But they lost the war because they had to use those chargers before the battle was over.
    09-01-11 12:27 PM
    i am glad rim doesnt keep up with the pace that android phones are out. thats one of the worst things i hated about android devices. i had the original droid/milestone, and within a year, its value dropped by 1/8th. its absurd. there's just too big of a supply for android devices, they cant keep their value.
    I think this is phones in general. The only phones that seem to keep theor value currently the iPhones and maybe a few high end Androids. Plus really who buys a phone wondering what the value would be like next year? Especially when most carriers offer 1-2 year upgrades at which point you can sell your old device and help make up for the loss.

09-01-11 12:28 PM
    I don't think the Android users are in a tizzy as you say. Most of is on here actually use both Android and BB OS. If anything it's you hard core BB users that deny the fact that if BB doesn't continue to up it's game that
    they'll be up **** creek. Sure they continue to grow in new and emerging markets but here in North America that's no longer the case. Stale hardware and software have slowed sales of BB devices. Hopefully the new lineup which is pretty nice will help. I don't think you understand that most of us Android users here want to see BB be successful. Noone is really hating on BB, just thinking about what BB needs to stay ahead of the game.

Scionic says that all the time. He always sees defensive Android users. Never defensive BB users... they don't exist. LOL.
    09-01-11 01:14 PM
    Kinda sad when your idea of having a better phone is screen brightness and comparing push email against polling email.

Man, blackberry really has gone for a ****.
    09-01-11 01:33 PM
    Android does have many push email capabilities actually. He might not have it set up correctly. I have 3 push accounts right now actually.
    1- Does the push email applies for a normal pop3/smtp email or only to public servers like gmail, yahoo,...?
    2-does the push email starts from a certain android OS version ?
    Thanks
    09-01-11 02:50 PM
    I think this is phones in general. The only phones that seem to keep theor value currently the iPhones and maybe a few high end Androids. Plus really who buys a phone wondering what the value would be like next year? Especially when most carriers offer 1-2 year upgrades at which point you can sell your old device and help make up for the loss.

The People in bold do........see I bought my iPhone for 199.99 and when I sell it I will get 250-300.......that's how and why I look at phones before I purchase them......
    09-01-11 02:53 PM
    None taken I haven't quit liking the 9930 either.
    Woah! didn't know other people didn't like it anyway thanka for not bashing me. android ftw
    09-01-11 03:36 PM
    The People in bold do........see I bought my iPhone for 199.99 and when I sell it I will get 250-300.......that's how and why I look at phones before I purchase them......
    That's why I specifically mentioned iPhone as one of few phones that hold their value. Iphone will continue to hold value until the market is over saturated with them and other carriers start selling it at lower subsidized cost.

09-01-11 04:52 PM
    1- Does the push email applies for a normal pop3/smtp email or only to public servers like gmail, yahoo,...?
    2-does the push email starts from a certain android OS version ?
    Thanks
    Push can be from gmail,Yahoo, any exchange server or active sync capable email. That includes hotmail. Pop/ smtp would be normal pull settings at 5 minutes or whatever. To get those push enabled you will need BlackBerry but even with a bb they can be delayed
    09-01-11 05:37 PM
    but typing and outside screen brightness .. well then..I guess that seals the deal.
    I sent back a myTouch 4G because I was at a motorcycle rally and wanted to show my friends some pictures, but it was a sunny day and that BEAUTIFUL display was useless. Since I was outside all day, I couldn't do much of anything on a touch screen phone that I couldn't see. Then the battery low warning came on at 3:45 pm and wouldn't let me take photos. The wet t-shirt contest started at 4pm, and boy was I PO'd! I think more people on this forum should take a deep breath, go outdoors and see some boobies. Maybe your choice of phone won't seem all that important.
    09-01-11 05:51 PM
    Man you should get the Moto Photon! You can use it in direct sunlight, and capture BOOBIES with a great 8MP camera or the 720p video camera then upload them with the quickness to a facebook account for all to see using the 4GEEZ.

09-01-11 06:46 PM
    I've owned two Android phones and four Blackberry phones.

From my personal experience. The OS on my Blackberry phones hardly ever crashes. The two Android phones would crash every other day. My first Android phone, the Nexus One, I didn't own it that long. I couldn't stand the frequent crashing and battery life. So I returned it and went back to my 8900. My next Android phone the T-Mobile G2x crashed on me too. It was ok for a month then it started freezing randomly. I would reboot at least once a day. I had to reinstall the OS twice. I couldn't return it since it was past my returnable days. So I sold it and went back to the 8900.

Yes the Android phones have something similar to push email but it wasn't truly push. It was more like Sync. So if I'm in a bad area, I can't review a previously opened email. I have to wait until I get signal strength and sync up with gmail.
    09-01-11 09:38 PM
    I am waiting to see what the Droid Bionic has to offer and if I'm not satisfied with that, then I'm going to wait for the Nexus Prime, Droid Prime, or whatever it's called in the end. I made a bad decision going to the original Storm (everyone knows the horror stories with that device) and again with this phone. After being so used to having certain apps and using them often... it was a big shock going to this phone and finding that they don't exist or have a really bad alternative. I've owned 3 Android devices (original Droid, Droid Incredible, Droid X) and the iPhone 4. The only advantage that I see with this phone for ME is really fast push email. That's the only benefit for me. Browser is worse, apps is... (lets just not go further with that), and battery is really quite average and nothing special to what I have had with the Droid X and iPhone 4, both phones known for having some of the best battery life.

Maybe I'll try BB again once the QNX devices come out and they are able to use the Android Market but until then... BB will always come out behind because lack of apps is a HUGE setback. Why the App World only has like 6000 apps versus the Android Market and iOS in the 100,000s baffles me. So many apps I see are made for Android and iOS but BB tends to just be left behind and ignored.

There's a good reason why no one ever puts BB in with the whole smartphone competition. Whether that changes in the future is up to BB if they can get their act together and put out phones that really compete with Android and iPhone.
    Last edited by Vihzel; 09-01-11 at 09:59 PM.
    09-01-11 09:47 PM
    I've owned two Android phones and four Blackberry phones.

From my personal experience. The OS on my Blackberry phones hardly ever crashes. The two Android phones would crash every other day. My first Android phone, the Nexus One, I didn't own it that long. I couldn't stand the frequent crashing and battery life. So I returned it and went back to my 8900. My next Android phone the T-Mobile G2x crashed on me too. It was ok for a month then it started freezing randomly. I would reboot at least once a day. I had to reinstall the OS twice. I couldn't return it since it was past my returnable days. So I sold it and went back to the 8900.

Yes the Android phones have something similar to push email but it wasn't truly push. It was more like Sync. So if I'm in a bad area, I can't review a previously opened email. I have to wait until I get signal strength and sync up with gmail.
    Well, the same could be said if BIS,
    /BES servers are down

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    09-01-11 09:53 PM
85 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD