As the title suggests, I would like to try using the 9900/9930 as my daily driver, but heavily wonder if it's really secure for financial transaction through app.

You see, my mobile banking is a graphical wrapper for sms banking with my bank, so it doesn't require token challenge or anything, except a password that I made complex, at the beginning. This proprietary app can be used for almost anything, from a simple account checking, money transfer, to paying for all kinds of bills. Very versatile and very helpful. I've been using it on many BB10 devices securely, and now wonder if 9900 is as secure for this particular financial/banking transaction.

Thanks in advance y'all!
    Last edited by bhoqeem; 03-16-17 at 12:35 AM.
    03-15-17 11:46 PM
    While you'll probably be okay, I wouldn't go with that since it isn't really getting any security updates. If you're targeted by a competent person, it's likely that all bets are off but if you remain a generic person in the mobile landscape, perhaps. But security via obscurity isn't really security.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    03-16-17 12:11 AM
    I understand that the browser of BBOS is no longer secure, but App-wise, is that also the case?
    03-16-17 12:37 AM
    I understand that the browser of BBOS is no longer secure, but App-wise, is that also the case?
    I don't think you're likely to find anyone who has the expertise to answer that question here. Even if someone claimed to have that expertise, there's really no way to verify their credentials or claims. The fact that you're asking suggests that you have concerns, which is reasonable, since the device hasn't seen updates for years.

I look at it this way: my Debian linux distribution gets several dozen updates every month, many of which address security issues. The Bold 9900 gets none. The newest OS versions are almost 4 years old. I haven't seen an app update in ages either. Which device I should use for financial transactions and banking seems fairly obvious.
    03-16-17 01:24 AM
    Very well. And thank you very much for responding. I appreciate it.

Nonetheless, if I may I would like to open the page still, for further inputs.
    03-16-17 01:31 AM
    Very well. And thank you very much for responding. I appreciate it.

Nonetheless, if I may I would like to open the page still, for further inputs.
    For sure. I don't want to close down discussion. Just stating an opinion. I'm clearly not a security expert.
    03-16-17 01:34 AM
    I would be a little nervous about it and actually I've never used apps for phone banking. I do phone banking by calling the banks bill payment number and paying bills entering codes but that's as far as I go. When I first got my 9900 I would even put the Sim back into the iPhone to even do the phone banking with keystroke entry to pay the bill, but when I asked this question last year someone said there's probably no difference for that type of bill payment. I suppose if someone could actually listen in on wireless phone conversations, as has been done, then it likely isn't any more secure than paying by app but still on an old device I wouldn't do it personally.

Here's an interesting article I dug up from 2013 about this topic that also suggests if you do ever use apps even on an up-to-date device, make sure you don't do it from a café Wi-Fi or any public Wi-Fi, just turn the Wi-Fi off and use your data.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/...phone.amp.html
    03-16-17 01:44 AM
    Thank you, Ralph! Your input does help. It's only common sense, indeed, to not use public WiFi and rely instead on one's own data package for financial/banking matters.

In other words, though, are you saying that my BIS subscription with my operator is safe? It's rather expensive, but if it's safe, I'll buy it.
    Last edited by bhoqeem; 03-16-17 at 03:32 AM.
    03-16-17 01:57 AM
    Thank you, Ralph! Your input does help. It's only common sense, indeed, to not use public WiFi and rely instead to one's own data package for financial/banking matters.

In other words, though, are you saying that my BIS subscription with my operator is safe? It's rather expensive, but if it's safe, I'll buy it.
    I would NOT say it is safe even with BIS (for paying like I do by calling the bank and using the automated system with codes) because it is my understanding the phone signal COULD be intercepted just by the airwaves, if I am not mistaken.

As for phone banking apps, I wouldn't dare guess without some link for this or insight from others in here perhaps but if I had to give a answer I might say I would THINK BIS would be a little safer with apps because isn't the data filtered entering the Blackberry BIS system and also filtered for the outgoing data as well?

For payment I have encrypted my iphone and I turn the wifi OFF to do banking, even if I am home just because I live in a highrise and at any given time I can pick up about 20 other wifi signals. Plenty of "cross-contamination" in my building .

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    03-16-17 02:13 AM
    Just curious, can you find your banks App in App World and if so, when was that app last updated?

03-16-17 02:15 AM
    I would NOT say it is safe even with BIS (for paying like I do by calling the bank and using the automated system with codes) because it is my understanding the phone signal COULD be intercepted just by the airwaves, if I am not mistaken.

As for phone banking apps, I wouldn't dare guess without some link for this or insight from others in here perhaps but if I had to give a answer I might say I would THINK BIS would be a little safer with apps because isn't the data filtered entering the Blackberry BIS system and also filtered for the outgoing data as well?

For payment I have encrypted my iphone and I turn the wifi OFF to do banking, even if I am home just because I live in a highrise and at any given time I can pick up about 20 other wifi signals. Plenty of "cross-contamination" in my building .

I see. Hmm....
    03-16-17 02:16 AM
    I see. Hmm....
    I'm sure someone will chime in but I would just take as many precautions as possible. I would not assume anything is 100% secure unless you can maybe use a landline to pay or use a newer device that is encrypted....

03-16-17 02:19 AM
    I'm sure someone will chime in but I would just take as many precautions as possible. I would not assume anything is 100% secure unless you can maybe use a landline to pay or use a newer device that is encrypted....

Well, my only other option is the ATM, or go the bank directly. But that's a hassle, imo. Lol. I never try the phone call route. I don't think it's even available with my bank, except for account and cc checking. I don't know. Perhaps it's actually available and I'm just ignorant about it.

Thanks, Ralph. Please chime in, everyone...
    03-16-17 02:27 AM
    I don't think it's even available with my bank, except for account and cc checking...
    I would bet they have it ;-) but I'm totally with you on the ATM I generally just use debit for everything if I'm shopping but even ATM machines are 30-year-old technology now.
    03-16-17 03:00 AM
    Just curious, can you find your banks App in App World and if so, when was that app last updated?

Well, according to the app page on BBW, it is version 1.1.1. and was released on December 11th, 2015. But I don't see last update information anywhere on the page. Not even when I checked on the app on my Passport SE.
    03-16-17 03:16 AM
    Well, according to the app page on BBW, it is version 1.1.1. and was released on December 11th, 2015. But I don't see last update information anywhere on the page. Not even when I checked on the app on my Passport SE.
    Mine says January 2015. Considering how old the 99 is, that's a fairly recent update to the app. But still...

03-16-17 03:25 AM

Mine is there (RBC). It says version 2.9, released January 29, 2014. Based on the app info for Whatsapp, which is one of the only apps to still get updates, the 'release date' is the release date for that version, not the original release date for the app.

So in the case of the Royal Bank's app, it's been over three years since an update.
    03-16-17 09:29 AM
    Mine is there (RBC). It says version 2.9, released January 29, 2014. Based on the app info for Whatsapp, which is one of the only apps to still get updates, the 'release date' is the release date for that version, not the original release date for the app.

So in the case of the Royal Bank's app, it's been over three years since an update.
    So, mine is only been a year and four months. Fairly recent. And I have been seeing this app since 2013, which means the bank has been updating this rather well, yeah?
    03-16-17 12:05 PM
    So, mine is only been a year and four months. Fairly recent. And I have been seeing this app since 2013, which means the bank has been updating this rather well, yeah?
    That appears to be correct.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-17 08:42 PM

Mine is TD
    03-16-17 09:33 PM
    I look at it this way: my Debian linux distribution gets several dozen updates every month, many of which address security issues. The Bold 9900 gets none. The newest OS versions are almost 4 years old. I haven't seen an app update in ages either. Which device I should use for financial transactions and banking seems fairly obvious.
    That's not a good metric. A perfectly secure OS would get ZERO updates, wouldn't it?
    You should be looking at the number of unpatched vulnerabilities, that would be a far better indicator.

Would be pretty "obvious" to me if you're concerned with security on your desktop you ought to be using OpenBSD...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-17-17 12:40 AM
    Mine is TD
    Ralph, I'm gonna be out of topic a bit. I've just bought a used 9900, I've set it up with BIS for a week (just trying if it works), BBID is connected, BBM is connected, BBW connected, but when I try to setup my email, even though it recognizes my email address as being associated with my BBID, it keeps on failing when I try to set it up. It keeps asking for my correct password, even though I am damn sure to have inserted the correct one (show password is on).

Kindly help me, please.
    03-17-17 06:32 AM
    That's not a good metric. A perfectly secure OS would get ZERO updates, wouldn't it?
    You should be looking at the number of unpatched vulnerabilities, that would be a far better indicator.

Would be pretty "obvious" to me if you're concerned with security on your desktop you ought to be using OpenBSD...

I would agree, if a perfectly secure OS with zero vulnerabilities had ever existed. But, since there's never been such an OS, I'll stick with the ones getting patched.

Thanks for pointing out my use of sarcastic language. I'll try to avoid that in the future. My apologies to bhoqeem.
    Last edited by Shuswap; 03-17-17 at 10:21 AM.
    03-17-17 09:49 AM
    Thanks for pointing out my use of sarcastic language. I'll try to avoid that in the future. My apologies to bhoqeem.
    it's OK.

03-17-17 11:37 AM
    Ralph, I'm gonna be out of topic a bit. I've just bought a used 9900, I've set it up with BIS for a week (just trying if it works), BBID is connected, BBM is connected, BBW connected, but when I try to setup my email, even though it recognizes my email address as being associated with my BBID, it keeps on failing when I try to set it up. It keeps asking for my correct password, even though I am damn sure to have inserted the correct one (show password is on).

Kindly help me, please.
    BBID is not or does not have to be the same as your email password they're different, or can be.

If you are using Gmail this is a common problem, you have to go into your Gmail settings on your computer and find "allow less secure devices "toggle the switch for that too ON, and then re-log in on your 9900 with email and pw for the email.

If that doesn't work I would resend the service books, you can do that yourself on the 9900.

Also I would go to each email icon folder on your home screen that's giving you problems, click the icon, then open up the options by pressing the dotted BB button and then click reconcile now.

See if that helps
    03-17-17 11:44 AM
109 123 ...