Sometimes mentoring isn't planned.
    I'm totally stealing that.

-- but you're right. The driver is already toast.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    03-19-17 01:32 PM
    Amidst everything, I just want to say that after almost two days playing it for the first time ever I believe it's the tool belt--more so than the keyboard, that gets me head over heel towards 9900. That, and the system that fits so perfectly with that tool belt. Much so that I have this gnawing doubt that I'd get the same awe and joy when I get the Classic later. Even with the same belt, it's essentially different.

I had to switch back to my Q10 at some point due to some work requirements, but my hands just can't help but reaching for the 9900 every chance it gets. I sorely miss the belt. And my eyes--I swear to God the 9900 looks way more appealing and gorgeous than the Q10, just lying there on the desk.

Attachment 419779

Attachment 419780
    I frequently feel the same way. Back at the office, Classic, Passport, Z30 & D60 all beckon from desk. Hand reaches for 99, 90+% of time. It's just TOO agreeably eager!

That said, Classic's toolbelt has matured some refinement in the latest 10.3.3 updates. Subtle but welcome. Little things like the threshold between panning or jumping focus... Etc... Give Classic with latest os a try and you might just find it tolerably "mature".

It'll never match our 99's, simply because of size if nothing else, but Classic frequently finds its way into my right hand while 99 simultaneously leads the way from left hand. A VERY productive double fisted combo made enjoyable by single handed friendly toolbelts .
    03-19-17 02:07 PM
    I didn't see in the preceding posts whether you said that you're normally using two-step verification. If not, then you would not get a text.

Correct I do not think I have two step verification turned on. And as I've learned since this thread was started 2 step and allow less secure devices are two different things.
    03-19-17 02:23 PM
    Bummer... From photo, looks like a competent shop should make quick work of it. Metal is stretched in creases, tho.

Good thing you, or someone, were near by to get plate #, tho. Sounds like a runaway coward is too past due for learning some action-reaction reality in their life. Sometimes mentoring isn't planned.
    The driver was also from another province according to the license plate, hence the reason I was told I have to go through the police. Otherwise the provincial government would just take care of it here. (Liscense issuer) They will definitely get points off their drivers license and I should have everything paid for no charge to me.

I also had two witnesses. So I was sure to get their name and plate number etc.
    03-19-17 02:25 PM
    I have to say guys apologies if I'm not 100% on the ball today, I had a hit and run on my car yesterday and I spent all afternoon at the police station, sorry off topic ....
    Very sorry to hear that Ralph, bad news; I hope you're OK in yourself
    03-19-17 02:29 PM
    Sometimes mentoring isn't planned.
    That could be a bumper sticker.
    03-19-17 03:40 PM
    Very sorry to hear that Ralph, bad news; I hope you're OK in yourself
    Thnx dude. It's not like someone stole my 9900 or anything

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    03-19-17 03:55 PM
    Okay. So, in other words, one cannot expect to have wifi calling in the current BBOS devices, correct? Can you, or perhaps Ralph, do phone calls with your whatsapp on 9900?
    I still have to pop the sim into the 99 to check but the last time NO, it would not work.

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    03-19-17 04:12 PM
    I was WRONG. After I logged onto the wi-fi hotspot here, I had to turn off the cellular radio -- THEN I was able to place a BBM voice call from my Bold to my Passport.

BBM Voice DOES work on the Bold!

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    Here's a quote where David found BBM voice worked on wifi after shutting off cellular radio...
    Great find I wasn't aware of. Even better if BBM voice "counts"...
    03-19-17 04:23 PM
    Here's a quote where David found BBM voice worked on wifi after shutting off cellular radio...
    Interesting: When I ran that little experiment this AM, I was in an airline lounge at SeaTac
    . Here at the house, I had no trouble making a BBM Voice call with the cellular radio on.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-19-17 11:28 PM
    Interesting: When I ran that little experiment this AM, I was in an airline lounge at SeaTac
    . Here at the house, I had no trouble making a BBM Voice call with the cellular radio on.

So it very much depends on cellular condition on both phones, then.
    03-20-17 03:11 AM
    So it very much depends on cellular condition on both phones, then.
    To be clear: On a BlackBerry 10 device, I (or anyone) can place or receive BBM Voice calls without wi-fi (although in my experience, using wi-fi can really help the audio quality for overseas calls).

On a BBOS device like the 9900, you must have wi-fi on for BBM Voice. What I found was that using a public wi-fi hotspot, I also had to turn off the cellular -- I'm not at all sure why. In my home, I could use BBM Voice on the Bold without turning off the cellular.

mushroom_daddy likes this.
    03-20-17 09:04 AM
    All I know is I bought a new unopened in box 9900 AT&T model a few months back. To get my personal email accounts I needed to go through ridiculous steps that included entering the email password on the 9900 while logged into the email server on my laptop because it doesn't recognize the phone anymore. I then needed to lower all security parameters and accept terms for both Yahoo and Gmail essentially signing off that I recognize the risk of putting their email on an unknown device. I've had 27 smartphones now. Yes, 27. Literally all the way back to the beginning with RIM/BlackBerry. I'm not saying the device isn't secure, but I don't feel comfortable with the email server or apps being secure on a device they basically warn you about and make you sign off on. Just my opinion.
    04-04-17 11:18 PM
    For what it's worth, I bought the 9900. Toyed around with it seriously for about a week. I love the soft keyboard and the effectiveness of the belt and track pad with the system, but finally gave up because I couldn't allow my Gmail to be made unsecured. As such, I couldn't be sure it's really safe to use my bank app on the platform, and the fact that I don't have the ability to make WiFi calls at all, both on BBM and whatsapp. It really pained me, but I had to let go. Put it back in the box.

I am sorry.

I ended up buying a Classic and stay with it. This marks the end of my obsessive adventure with BB10 devices. Meaning I will stop buying any more of such device and stick with my Classic until it's no longer make sense to be used as a daily driver.

I also still keep the Q10, Z10, Z30, OG and SE. Don't know if I'd be bothered to switch around my main SIM card on those devices. Guess not. But I'll keep 'em all, nonetheless.

Thank you, everyone!!

Posted via CB10
    04-05-17 12:10 AM
    All I know is I bought a new unopened in box 9900 AT&T model a few months back. To get my personal email accounts I needed to go through ridiculous steps that included entering the email password on the 9900 while logged into the email server on my laptop because it doesn't recognize the phone anymore. I then needed to lower all security parameters and accept terms for both Yahoo and Gmail essentially signing off that I recognize the risk of putting their email on an unknown device. I've had 27 smartphones now. Yes, 27. Literally all the way back to the beginning with RIM/BlackBerry. I'm not saying the device isn't secure, but I don't feel comfortable with the email server or apps being secure on a device they basically warn you about and make you sign off on. Just my opinion.
    First of all, no one should be still using yahoo after all the hacks into the millions that happened a couple of times now.....

And second, you only have to "allow less secure devices" for the email recognition process for the 9900 and then later you can turn it back on. At least I was able to.
    04-07-17 07:31 PM
    First of all, no one should be still using yahoo after all the hacks into the millions that happened a couple of times now.....

And second, you only have to "allow less secure devices" for the email recognition process for the 9900 and then later you can turn it back on. At least I was able to.
    Agreed, [expletive deleted] Yahoo or Oath or whatever it's going to be named.

As for email security a decent provider should have the option to create app passwords for clients that predate 2FA; set it up with the username and app password rather than username, regular password and second factor. That way you don't endanger the account in the name of accommodation.
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    04-07-17 07:34 PM

Point well taken Ralph. I have 2 Yahoo Accounts that are 10+ years old and heavily needed. What would you suggest I do. I've tried to slowly move away from them but there are certain things where these emails are necessary. I have at least stopped using them for banking, mortgage, car payments, etc. Nothing of value or transactional.

And sincerely when you respond, respond like you're talking to someone clueless. I truly meant that. While I'm pretty tech savvy I like getting directions like a 3rd grader so I don't miss anything.
    04-08-17 09:35 PM
    Point well taken Ralph. I have 2 Yahoo Accounts that are 10+ years old and heavily needed. What would you suggest I do. I've tried to slowly move away from them but there are certain things where these emails are necessary. I have at least stopped using them for banking, mortgage, car payments, etc. Nothing of value or transactional.

And sincerely when you respond, respond like you're talking to someone clueless. I truly meant that. While I'm pretty tech savvy I like getting directions like a 3rd grader so I don't miss anything.
    I understand. I'm curious what features are there that the others might not offer. Well I can only speak for myself but I would create a new Gmail as much as I hate Gmail or a Hotmail now called outlook and just slowly tell everybody about your new email address and eventually migrate everyone over if you can. Any photos attached to old emails, save them and if you can send a Broadcast email alerting people that you intend to shut down yahoo as soon as possible.

There was a good article in AppyGeek not too long ago about how to properly shut down a yahoo account (and they were recommending this to everyone). I will try to find it and you can see if it is doable or not.
    04-08-17 10:03 PM
    I understand. I'm curious what features are there that the others might not offer. Well I can only speak for myself but I would create a new Gmail as much as I hate Gmail or a Hotmail now called outlook and just slowly tell everybody about your new email address and eventually migrate everyone over if you can. Any photos attached to old emails, save them and if you can send a Broadcast email alerting people that you intend to shut down yahoo as soon as possible.

There was a good article in AppyGeek not too long ago about how to properly shut down a yahoo account (and they were recommending this to everyone). I will try to find it and you can see if it is doable or not.
    There are a handful of alternative email providers: I use Fastmail for my personal mail, and I've been meaning to give Protonmail a whirl. Still, just use something that isn't Yahoo.
    04-08-17 10:05 PM

Of course I'm not telling you what to do or anything my friend, you'll have to decide if it's the right thing to do but I found the article and you can read it and decide if it's worth it or not.

http://www.businessinsider.com/1-bil...swords-2016-12

Security is something I try to take seriously and last week when my iPhone 5c could not be updated anymore I got an iPhone 7 because I do things like phone banking and stuff so I think we just have to commit to doing it if we really care about security, etc.

But it is strange I don't mind using the 9900 that is not updatable but I don't do banking on it.
    04-08-17 10:07 PM
    There are a handful of alternative email providers: I use Fastmail for my personal mail, and I've been meaning to give Protonmail a whirl. Still, just use something that isn't Yahoo.
    Absolutely and I've never even heard of fastmail, I just kind of stick with what I know and I have a few different Gmail accounts and one Hotmail and that seems to suit my needs. I wonder if any of the bigger budget ones would have better security say Gmail over fastmail? I don't know I have to research that as I don't know about the newcomers.
    04-08-17 10:09 PM
    I guess as long as the fast mail and proton mail aren't Chinese ;-)
    04-08-17 10:10 PM
    Absolutely and I've never even heard of fastmail, I just kind of stick with what I know and I have a few different Gmail accounts and one Hotmail and that seems to suit my needs. I wonder if any of the bigger budget ones would have better security say Gmail over fastmail? I don't know I have to research that as I don't know about the newcomers.
    Thanks for the multiple post. I do already have an Outlook account and use it for pretty much anything that matters. Unfortunately, the Yahoo accounts go back to things like College and Graduate School and Alumni stuff that for ridiculous reasons 15 years later can't be changed. So I just have to monitor those but I'm heavily involved in Alumni and Academia so I have to keep them. But thanks again, I'll look into things.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    04-08-17 10:19 PM
    Alternative mail services have the caveat of not being free, at least the good ones. Fastmail has different pricing tiers based on storage size, personal domains, stuff like that (starting at $3/mo IIRC). They also insist they don't further handle your data unless you turn on spam filtering. Protonmail is specifically designed around security and anonymity, so all emails are end-to-end encrypted such that even the admins can't read them. However, and since you're posting this in the 9900 forum, you should know it needs a custom app to work, not a consumer email client. Hence, no Android/iOS, no Protonmail.

I guess as long as the fast mail and proton mail aren't Chinese ;-)
    Australian and Swiss, respectively.

https://www.fastmail.com/

https://protonmail.com/
    04-08-17 10:20 PM
    Alternative mail services have the caveat of not being free, at least the good ones. Fastmail has different pricing tiers based on storage size, personal domains, stuff like that (starting at $3/mo IIRC). They also insist they don't further handle your data unless you turn on spam filtering. Protonmail is specifically designed around security and anonymity, so all emails are end-to-end encrypted such that even the admins can't read them. However, and since you're posting this in the 9900 forum, you should know it needs a custom app to work, not a consumer email client. Hence, no Android/iOS, no Protonmail.

Australian and Swiss, respectively.

https://www.fastmail.com/

https://protonmail.com/
    Well those sound better than my suggestions! I guess it's true when they say you get what you pay for, and if you pay a little you probably get better.
    04-08-17 10:25 PM
109 ... 2345