I only had to once when none of the service books came through, after swapping sims multiple times
    That's probably what I'm recalling. Just for clarity, once you turn off 2-Step Verification and get Gmail set up on 9900, can you go back and turn on 2-Step Verification? Or must it remain turned off in order to use 9900 w Gmail?

I personally have zero interest in Gmail but just for sake of clarity... ??
    03-18-17 12:40 PM
    That's probably what I'm recalling. Just for clarity, once you turn off 2-Step Verification and get Gmail set up on 9900, can you go back and turn on 2-Step Verification? Or must it remain turned off in order to use 9900 w Gmail?

I personally have zero interest in Gmail but just for sake of clarity... ??
    Well by two-step verification means logging in with your email and password, as far as I know you always have to do that. But I think maybe people confuse two-step verification with having to go into Gmail and "allow less secure devices."

A lot of people like myself were a little angry when Hotmail made everyone re-register in a certain amount of time otherwise it would've been stuck with an Outlook.com or.ca. So I did mine in time but a lot of people are mad because they were travelling or didn't know how to do it and they basically lost their emails if I recall. So many people like myself, what could we do? I wasn't going to use Yahoo because even back years ago I knew they were crap especially for security. So we flocked to Gmail.
    03-18-17 05:39 PM
    Well by two-step verification means logging in with your email and password, as far as I know you always have to do that. But I think maybe people confuse two-step verification with having to go into Gmail and "allow less secure devices."

A lot of people like myself were a little angry when Hotmail made everyone re-register in a certain amount of time otherwise it would've been stuck with an Outlook.com or.ca. So I did mine in time but a lot of people are mad because they were travelling or didn't know how to do it and they basically lost their emails if I recall. So many people like myself, what could we do? I wasn't going to use Yahoo because even back years ago I knew they were crap especially for security. So we flocked to Gmail.
    Hmm... Instructions in the link you posted earlier refer to "two-step verification". Not knowing the slightest thing G, I'd assumed "two step" might involve a temporary code, or something. Even more confused than before. Lol. That's what I get for attempting to understand something I've never done. Haha.

Since OP is contented and I'm just curious, no real need to spend more time clarifying just for my curiosity.

Hotmail has been working nicely. I get occasional alert warning that someone is attempting to log in from odd locations but it always traces back to me just roaming the world. Lol. Actually glad they notice. Maybe Gmail monitors similarly??
    03-18-17 06:47 PM
    Not knowing the slightest thing G, I'd assumed "two step" might involve a temporary code, or something. Even more confused than before. Lol.
    You're correct. Two-step verification involves sending you a temporary code, usually by SMS.
    03-18-17 07:41 PM
    You're correct. Two-step verification involves sending you a temporary code, usually by SMS.
    Well now it's clarified. I don't remember that part when I did mine. I've seen others referred to two-step verification and others telling them it meant the email and password. I guess this has been a tricky topic.
    03-18-17 10:29 PM
    Wouldn't that be ridiculous? I mean, what are the odds?
    In any case, it's all fine now.

Oh, one other thing, if I may: my 9900 have no capability whatsoever to do wifi calling. Not from the WA, nor from the BBM. The WA doesn't offer that option at all--no phone icon anywhere. BBM has it, but says, "The voice chat connection cannot be established". Just in case it's asked, I do have BIS.
    Through Viber you can make calls.
    They have stopped supporting BlackBerry , unfortunately.

Anyone that has it installed already , is still functioning.
    However , I believe they won't let you install from scratch.

Give it a try :
    http://www.theiexplorers.com/OTA/Viber/2.2.14/Viber.jad
    03-18-17 11:24 PM
    That's it, you get a text with a temporary security code that is entered at login and is often used to ensure that the user is genuine, ie., has the specific phone to hand. Several other companies/organisations use a similar approach eg., some UK banks, the HMRC (tax office).

Personally, I did not find it necessary to disable 2-step verification in order to get G-mail working on my 9900. Google offer an 'application specific password' facility, which I have previously referenced, that allows a user to set up Email etc., without disabling security levels. Worked for me.
    Others have selected the option to enable less secure devices. I was somewhat reluctant to do that.
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 03-19-17 at 08:36 AM.
    03-19-17 04:12 AM
    Just for clarity, once you turn off 2-Step Verification and get Gmail set up on 9900, can you go back and turn on 2-Step Verification? Or must it remain turned off in order to use 9900 w Gmail?
    A critical question that would be good to get an answer for. Ralph are you able to clarify?
    03-19-17 04:15 AM
    I don't think you're likely to find anyone who has the expertise to answer that question here.
    What a refreshing answer. Not having the vaguest clue wouldn't stop the vast majority of CrackBerry denizens from yammering on and on like computer security and encryption consultants for the NSA.

You, on the other hand, offered up a few facts and your appropriately-qualified opinion. Well played, sir!

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    03-19-17 07:32 AM
    BBM has it, but says, "The voice chat connection cannot be established". Just in case it's asked, I do have BIS.
    Ditto on my BBM. I was sure I could, but I had never actually tried it -- no dice.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    03-19-17 07:41 AM
    Okay. So, in other words, one cannot expect to have wifi calling in the current BBOS devices, correct? Can you, or perhaps Ralph, do phone calls with your whatsapp on 9900?
    I was WRONG. After I logged onto the wi-fi hotspot here, I had to turn off the cellular radio -- THEN I was able to place a BBM voice call from my Bold to my Passport.

BBM Voice DOES work on the Bold!

anon(8063781) and idssteve like this.
    03-19-17 07:59 AM
    I was WRONG. After I logged onto the wi-fi hotspot here, I had to turn off the cellular radio -- THEN I was able to place a BBM voice call from my Bold to my Passport.

That is great, David! Thank you!
    03-19-17 08:04 AM
    That is great, David! Thank you!
    You're welcome. It's nice to help solve a problem!

Last edited by David Tyler; 03-19-17 at 01:32 PM.
    03-19-17 08:15 AM
    BBOS traffic is tunnel through BIS right? So I guess in theory, it should still be secured from eavesdropping. But security risk would be more at the browser/OS/app level.
    03-19-17 08:57 AM
    A critical question that would be good to get an answer for. Ralph are you able to clarify?
    I honestly don't remember getting a SMS to set it up, but it has been over a year now so maybe I did. I don't recall ever having to do anything like that once it was all set up. I do know that once mine was all set up I was able to toggle "allow less secure devices" to OFF again, but even after that I do not recall getting any SMS log in codes, etc.

I DO know that if I did not "allow less secure devices" there was NO WAY it was allowing me to verify my Gmail accounts. That's why I had to research this topic when I first got the 9900 and that link I posted was my saviour.

Like I said this SEEMS to be one of those topics that is tricky because some people are having different experiences.

I've never logged out of my Gmail on the 9900 since setting it up so I have no clue if I would get an SMS for verification. I haven't looked at my Gmail settings in over a year. Everything is working beautifully on the iPad and iPhone (Gmail wise)and the last time I swapped Sims, to the 9900, that was the first time I ever have to phone Rogers and request the service books get sent and then everything magically started working again without me having to worry about Gmail. So In my experience once it's set up, it's set up.
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 03-19-17 at 11:39 AM.
    03-19-17 10:43 AM

I was always wondering why on BBM, some of my contacts had a little green calling symbol, and others didn't. But it might also have depended on their Wi-Fi perhaps, or their settings.

I don't think I ever turned off my cellular signal to see the green wifi calling icon, because when you are connected to wifi that overrides the cellular signal, right? For apps at least .
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 03-19-17 at 12:08 PM.
    03-19-17 10:53 AM
    And to further (attempt) to answer your question I must have turned off the 2 step over a year ago. When something works for me I generally don't mess with it.
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 03-19-17 at 11:17 AM.
    03-19-17 11:05 AM
    Amidst everything, I just want to say that after almost two days playing it for the first time ever I believe it's the tool belt--more so than the keyboard, that gets me head over heel towards 9900. That, and the system that fits so perfectly with that tool belt. Much so that I have this gnawing doubt that I'd get the same awe and joy when I get the Classic later. Even with the same belt, it's essentially different.

I had to switch back to my Q10 at some point due to some work requirements, but my hands just can't help but reaching for the 9900 every chance it gets. I sorely miss the belt. And my eyes--I swear to God the 9900 looks way more appealing and gorgeous than the Q10, just lying there on the desk.

How secure is 9900/9930 as a daily driver?-p_20170318_173126.jpg

How secure is 9900/9930 as a daily driver?-p_20170318_150701.jpg
    03-19-17 11:19 AM
    I have to say guys apologies if I'm not 100% on the ball today, I had a hit and run on my car yesterday and I spent all afternoon at the police station, sorry off topic

The allow less secure devices and two step Gmail settings is of those topics there seems to be so many variables and many many questions that one could ask LOL including myself.

How secure is 9900/9930 as a daily driver?-img_1489941134.713536.jpg
    03-19-17 11:33 AM
    I have to say guys apologies if I'm not 100% on the ball today, I had a hit and run on my car yesterday and I spent all afternoon at the police station, sorry off topic
    Sorry to hear that Ralph. That's a lousy way to spend an afternoon.
    xandros9 likes this.
    03-19-17 12:06 PM
    Sorry to hear that Ralph. That's a lousy way to spend an afternoon.
    Thnx ya still frazzled. At least I got the plate #.
    03-19-17 12:10 PM
    I honestly don't remember getting a SMS to set it up, but it has been over a year now so maybe I did. I don't recall ever having to do anything like that once it was all set up. I do know that once mine was all set up I was able to toggle "allow less secure devices" to OFF again, but even after that I do not recall getting any SMS log in codes, etc.
    That might be because (please correct me if I'm wrong) "allow less secure devices" and "two-step verification" are two different settings? I didn't see in the preceding posts whether you said that you're normally using two-step verification. If not, then you would not get a text.

If you were using two-step verification, you probably would have had to generate an application-specific password to bypass it, as mushroom_daddy mentioned above.

I did a little reading, and apparently, "less secure devices" are not necessarily "insecure". They just don't use Google's proprietary OAuth2 for authentication. The device or app may use other authentication methods. Google says these methods are "less secure". Some open source developers refer to their non-OAuth2 methods as "standards-compliant" and offer no apologies, so there's definitely a difference of opinion respecting whether OAuth2 is more secure or just different.
    03-19-17 12:30 PM
    LOL. Whoever hit you is going to be some kinda sad when the police show up!
    03-19-17 12:31 PM
    LOL. Whoever hit you is going to be some kinda sad when the police show up!
    Michael Clayton: Cops like hit and runs. They work them hard and they clear them fast. Right now there's a DCI unit pulling paint chips off a guard rail. Tomorrow they're going to be looking for the owner of a custom painted hand rubbed Jaguar XJ12. If the guy you hit, if he got a look at the plates? It won't even take that long.
    [the phone rings]
    Michael Clayton: There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess the easier it is for me to clean up.
    Mr. Greer: [points to the phone] That's the police isn't it?
    Michael Clayton: No. They don't call.

idssteve likes this.
    03-19-17 01:16 PM
    Bummer... From photo, looks like a competent shop should make quick work of it. Metal is stretched in creases, tho.

Good thing you, or someone, were near by to get plate #, tho. Sounds like a runaway coward is too past due for learning some action-reaction reality in their life. Sometimes mentoring isn't planned.
    03-19-17 01:25 PM
109 12345