As probably suggested from my signature below, I have managed to set up the newly bought used 9900 with BIS and everything. I even type this post directly from the device. the typing experience sure is nice. somewhat better than the Q10, but some things are still amiss:

1. I cannot seem to register my main email account, a gmail, which also serves as my BBID, but i could easily entered another one, a hotmail, without any hassle. How is that possible? I mean, is anything google persona non grata here in BBOS?

And how come the email fetching capability is sooooo slow? i mean, is there a setting somewhere i could tinker with to make it better?

2. I have installed onedrive app from BBW, but i have no idea how to make it work. I wonder if there is anyone here perhaps would be kind enough to help me in this matter?

3. Whatsapp is available but wortless. Said its been shut down since Dec 2016. yay

4. is dropbox available for 9900?

I'm still figuring things out and will post more, anon. Thanks in advance, guys!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-17-17 11:59 AM
    3. Whatsapp is available but wortless. Said its been shut down since Dec 2016. yay
    I can't respond to the other issues, but have you tried the version of Whatsapp from WhatsApp for BlackBerry (that's the link to the beta version). It still works for me, although it warns that it will not work after June 30, 2017.

It would probably be best to uninstall your currently installed Whatsapp first, and then reinstall from the beta link.
    03-17-17 12:11 PM
    I can't respond to the other issues, but have you tried the version of Whatsapp from WhatsApp for BlackBerry (that's the link to the beta version). It still works for me, although it warns that it will not work after June 30, 2017.

It would probably be best to uninstall your currently installed Whatsapp first, and then reinstall from the beta link.
    Holy cow! It actually works! Thank you very much!!
    Yippeeee!!
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    03-17-17 12:42 PM
    But one cannot upload media, ya? I've just tried, and that's what it said.
    Oh well... can't have everything, I guess.

ooops! I was wrong. It was just sent. Took a wee bit of time, apparently.
    03-17-17 12:55 PM
    4. is dropbox available for 9900?
    I do have a DropBox app on my 9900, which did work last time I tried. It has rather limited capability but does allow you to up/download files. I'm not sure whether its still available on BB World, or may be some other archive repository.
    03-17-17 02:40 PM
    Dropbox still works on this old 9930. So does "Cloud Explorer for OneDrive". As pointed out in another thread, these are third party solutions so... AYOR. Lol.

I use them to move around & share spreadsheets of control cabinet terminal designations. Maybe the time Putin wastes reading them will be time diverted from real mischief?? Lol. We don't store anything on them we wouldn't post on a highway billboard. Fwiw.

I, personally, don't use 9900 for anything sensitive or financial. Just out of an abundance of caution. That said, I can't claim to have ever heard of anyone who's ever heard of anyone that's experienced a validated case of security compromise troubles. Fwiw. I've asked this question about half dozen times around here and never gotten a link to ANYone claiming a validated case of banking theft, etc because of using a 9900. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened. Just that I haven't heard about it. Fwiw.

I, for one, would really appreciate hearing ANY corroborated stories about that??
    03-17-17 05:13 PM
    If I'm reading this correctly, the banking process is done entirely over SMS? In that case the transaction is only as secure as the protocol, so it wouldn't matter which phone one uses (unless they're using some really ancient 1990s phone or something).
    03-17-17 06:01 PM
    If you want to know what's what, ask Steve Gibson of GRC.com, and of "Security Now" (TWiT) fame. He's the king of security and flaw reporting/documentation. Watch "Security Now" and get to know him, he's amazing.
    03-17-17 10:08 PM
    Thank you very much for the inputs thus far. It's actually rather amazing that after a 5 years of active production and 6 years of going EOL, there's still no definitive answer about this. Not even an official response ever from RIM? With regards to security of their legacy devices, like, really?

I don't mean to come up as rude or undermine anything, just wonder out loud.

Again, I thank you very much for your inputs thus far. Methinks it'd be good to keep it opened, as it would benefit many others as well.

03-18-17 12:00 AM
    Thank you very much for the inputs thus far. It's actually rather amazing that after a 5 years of active production and 6 years of going EOL, there's still no definitive answer about this. Not even an official response ever from RIM? With regards to security of their legacy devices, like, really?

I don't mean to come up as rude or undermine anything, just wonder out loud.

Again, I thank you very much for your inputs thus far. Methinks it'd be good to keep it opened, as it would benefit many others as well.

Officially BBOS 7 is end of life: http://us.blackberry.com/support/bus...ort-life-cycle
    xandros9 likes this.
    03-18-17 12:50 AM
    Any follow up on the gmail tip I gave you? Gmail needs that 2 step verification probably because they were criticized over security. Yes Hotmail always seems to work nice on the 9900. But once you get gmail entered properly you never have to set it again.

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    03-18-17 03:47 AM
    Any follow up on the gmail tip I gave you? Gmail needs that 2 step verification probably because they were criticized over security. Yes Hotmail always seems to work nice on the 9900. But once you get gmail entered properly you never have to set it again.

Alas, no, Ralph. I guess I'm just not that competent. Lol. So I just ended up setting up the gmail to forward all of its incoming email to my hotmail. So far it works out fairly well. Just the fetching that seems a tad slow for some reason.

03-18-17 04:06 AM
    Alas, no, Ralph. I guess I'm just not that competent. Lol. So I just ended up setting up the gmail to forward all of its incoming email to my hotmail. So far it works out fairly well. Just the fetching that seems a tad slow for some reason.

Here is a MUCH better explaination of what you have to do, you will laugh how simple it is after.

I should have posted this before....

http://support.blackberry.com/kb/art...nguage=English

03-18-17 04:12 AM
    Here is a MUCH better explaination of what you have to do, you will laugh how simple it is after.

I should have posted this before....

Unable to integrate Gmail accounts to a BlackBerry Internet Service account

I have actually tried that route, but after about five minutes later, I have an email from Google reporting that someone located in America (there's mentioned a city too, but I can't remember) was trying to break through my gmail. I immediately put back the 2 step verification process, changed my gmail password into something even more complex, and decided to settle just with the forwarding feature. I also set it not to forward anything too crucial. I could always check gmails from my BB10.

Heheh. Sorry, Ralph.
    03-18-17 04:48 AM
    I don't use Gmail (or G anything, for that matter)(long story) but thought I saw where others had re-instituted the two step verification once the bis handset was verified?? Or did I misunderstand that?
    03-18-17 05:23 AM
    I don't use Gmail (or G anything, for that matter)(long story) but thought I saw where others had re-instituted the two step verification once the bis handset was verified?? Or did I misunderstand that?
    First time I've heard about this, honestly. In my part, though, even after knowing this I guess I just don't want to risk it. I'm good as it is.
    03-18-17 05:53 AM
    First time I've heard about this, honestly. In my part, though, even after knowing this I guess I just don't want to risk it. I'm good as it is.
    Well, like I said, no first hand experience there. Could've easily misinterpreted or mis-remembered.... Fwiw.
    03-18-17 06:40 AM
    Well, like I said, no first hand experience there. Could've easily misinterpreted or mis-remembered.... Fwiw.
    Of course, Steve. Thank you for sharing it. I appreciate it.
    03-18-17 06:43 AM
    I have actually tried that route, but after about five minutes later, I have an email from Google reporting that someone located in America (there's mentioned a city too, but I can't remember) was trying to break through my gmail. I immediately put back the 2 step verification process, changed my gmail password into something even more complex, and decided to settle just with the forwarding feature. I also set it not to forward anything too crucial. I could always check gmails from my BB10.

Heheh. Sorry, Ralph.
    I wonder if that someone was you, routed through a BlackBerry server in America.
    03-18-17 09:09 AM
    I wonder if that someone was you, routed through a BlackBerry server in America.
    Wouldn't that be ridiculous? I mean, what are the odds?
    In any case, it's all fine now.

Oh, one other thing, if I may: my 9900 have no capability whatsoever to do wifi calling. Not from the WA, nor from the BBM. The WA doesn't offer that option at all--no phone icon anywhere. BBM has it, but says, "The voice chat connection cannot be established". Just in case it's asked, I do have BIS.
    03-18-17 09:15 AM
    Wouldn't that be ridiculous? I mean, what are the odds?
    In any case, it's all fine now.

Oh, one other thing, if I may: my 9900 have no capability whatsoever to do wifi calling. Not from the WA, nor from the BBM. The WA doesn't offer that option at all--no phone icon anywhere. BBM has it, but says, "The voice chat connection cannot be established". Just in case it's asked, I do have BIS.
    The only app I know of like that is the Dell Voice app, which works with Fongo, a VOIP provider in Canada.

I don't know if LINE or WeChat have voice... or even work still. Viber used to have voice, but it's dead.
    03-18-17 09:41 AM
    The only app I know of like that is the Dell Voice app, which works with Fongo, a VOIP provider in Canada.

I don't know if LINE or WeChat have voice... or even work still. Viber used to have voice, but it's dead.
    Okay. So, in other words, one cannot expect to have wifi calling in the current BBOS devices, correct? Can you, or perhaps Ralph, do phone calls with your whatsapp on 9900?
    03-18-17 09:47 AM
    Okay. So, in other words, one cannot expect to have wifi calling in the current BBOS devices, correct? Can you, or perhaps Ralph, do phone calls with your whatsapp on 9900?
    I've only ever used Whatsapp to message and send the odd picture. I use SMS/MMS most of the time. I don't see any option for voice calls. I can get into the contacts from Whatsapp and place a regular phone call, but that's it as far as I can tell.
    03-18-17 10:19 AM
    I've only ever used Whatsapp to message and send the odd picture. I use SMS/MMS most of the time. I don't see any option for voice calls. I can get into the contacts from Whatsapp and place a regular phone call, but that's it as far as I can tell.
    I see. That clears things up for me. Thank you for this.
    03-18-17 10:26 AM
    I only had to once when none of the service books came through, after swapping sims multiple times
    03-18-17 12:10 PM
109 1234 ...