I believe bricking is a rare exception rather than norm, so you shouldn't worry about it...

like one poster here, I have flashed my bold 9900 many times, dropped it hard on the floor a few times, and have not had any issues.

There was once my bold became extremely sluggish with the hour clock appearing every few seconds. I figured it was due to a bad app installed. I hard reset it to factory state to wipe out any bad apps installed and got it back to running smooth and fast.

It is an amazing device, I think it doesn't warrant many of the negative things that have been said about it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-03-12 06:07 AM
    I believe bricking is a rare exception rather than norm, so you shouldn't worry about it...

like one poster here, I have flashed my bold 9900 many times, dropped it hard on the floor a few times, and have not had any issues.

There was once my bold became extremely sluggish with the hour clock appearing every few seconds. I figured it was due to a bad app installed. I hard reset it to factory state to wipe out any bad apps installed and got it back to running smooth and fast.

It is an amazing device, I think it doesn't warrant many of the negative things that have been said about it.

"Rare" around my office is three out of four 9900 devices.
    01-03-12 06:29 AM
    "Rare" around my office is three out of four 9900 devices.

Your office guys must be the unluckies bb users in the world...if your statistic is the norm, RIM should recall all their devices.

jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    01-03-12 07:31 AM
    My girlfriends 9930 bricked over weekend and, we were unable to reload the OS. That was 3rd time her 9930 bricked. I think she is going to another platform now.
    01-03-12 09:05 AM
    Do Not use the Charger that came in the box somehow that is somewhat associated with the bricking or nuking.
    This isn't necessarily true. The charger provided in the box works just fine.
    01-03-12 10:04 AM
    I left the phone with an oem charger over night everyday since I bought it,npb at all
    01-03-12 10:19 AM
    Like I said no one knows what is causing it except RIM!
    01-03-12 11:17 AM
    Any KNOWN apps that seem to cause issues more than others?
    And any benefit to one OS over another on a VZW 9930?
    01-03-12 01:17 PM
    I don't know if it's the reason of the brickings but now I never let my phone charging all night long. The two problems that I had happened in this situation so now I just avoid it and no problems since that moment...
    01-03-12 01:34 PM
    It is sad when one dares not let his RIM device charge while sleeping.
    01-03-12 01:52 PM
    For some reason I'm having a better charging experience with my older charger (from my 8900, the one with the folding blades) it gets to 100% in no time.
    01-03-12 02:43 PM
    It is sad when one dares not let his RIM device charge while sleeping.
    I completely agree with you, unfortunately....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-12 03:45 PM
    This is a snippet of an email that my bell mobility rep sent me today.

---------------
    Here is a rundown of our Bold 9900 client warranty issues.

Units Sold: 13,690
    Units DOA: 2
    Units Returned For Repair: 319

Warranty Claim Types:

Broken Screen: 71
    Water Damage: 58
    Electrical Surge: 19
    OS/App Install Errors: 74
    Broken Chassis: 26
    Battery Failure: 11
    Broken Keyboard/Trackpad: 4
    Broken USB Port: 22
    Broken Headphone Port: 17
    Broken Side Button: 6
    Broken USB Charger: 5
    Crushed Device: 6
    -----------------

All of these with the exception of battery failure, were caused by physical damage done by the end user. Whether they dropped them or ran over them with their car or dropped them in liquid or forced on the ports to break them, or forced on the keys to break them or whatever the case might be.

This is right from my bell mobility rep and represents all units sold at one small bell mobility location. As you can see, they have experienced ZERO "bricked" devices.

For my work, we have 278 units deployed. We have had one broken screen that happened during shipping, and one device that the user dropped in the toilet. Otherwise our fleet is 100%.

These are real numbers. Out of a total of 13,968 devices, we have zero bricked phones.

BTW: He also told me that DOA iPhones and iPhones that just randomly stop working, are in the hundreds. As are Android devices. So in your face iphone and android guys.
    Last edited by EvilmasterMMA; 01-03-12 at 06:57 PM.
    01-03-12 06:54 PM
    about letting the battery running too low - I agree.

About the charger - a USB charger is a well defined uniform standard - is there any explanation why this specific charger could cause a brick?

If so - please enlighten me - I do not know anything that could prove this theory right.
    There have been many theories and user opinions of why the charger that came in the box is faulty. To each their own. I am not saying you Don't have to use it. You can, but I am being cautious.
    I have also charged my phone with the Usb cable provided in the box and it works just fine with my Laptop. I do not use the Fixed Blade Micro-USB charger.

Some might argue it's the battery, or the charging unit inside their phone. I am not an expert on this. I am just stating from what others have experienced to lead me to avoid charging a certain way.
    Last edited by calicocat2010; 01-03-12 at 11:25 PM.
    01-03-12 11:18 PM
    This isn't necessarily true. The charger provided in the box works just fine.
    I Said Somewhat. I did not say for certain. I will say that it may work for You, but others who have Had problems can argue about this.
    01-03-12 11:22 PM
    I completely agree with you, unfortunately....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    That's just plain dumb - it makes NO difference if it's charged at night while sleeping - or any other time.

Fact is that most people plug the phone in to charge before they go to bed.

Waking up to a bricked phone happens when the phone has been plugged in to charge - not because it was charged at night while they were sleeping. Those who think that charging while sleeping at night causes bricking really need to use their heads. They must be one in the same who believe it bricks because they're sleeping....or that the OEM charger is what's causing the bricking.
    01-04-12 12:18 AM
    has anybody noticed a corelation between carrier and bricking occurencies? Maybe the devices that a carrier has are more prone to bricking because of the loaded service provider specific firmware (service provider logo splashscreen etc...) and the service books each carrier pushes to its bolds?

if you have had a bricked bold 99xx, what carrier was the phone with?
    01-04-12 01:24 AM
    I do not know what bricking or nuking is, but I do know that the Verizon 9930 is unlike any other BB I have owned (about 5 over 10 years). The first one had garbled phone transmission but not reception. The next two lasted about one month before going completely dead with no wake up, even with a freshly charged battery that worked in another machine. When I plug in the USB charger (regardless of make) I just get a red light on the upper right. Nothing else irrespective of time. The service people go through the technician who says ask Verizon to send a new one, Verizon does not even want the old one back! (That will change the statistics on returned phones).

My latest guess is that it has something to do with the new design, half touch screen. Has anyone with similar problems kept the bb in a holster when not being used, not a pocket?
    01-04-12 02:56 AM
    I do not know what bricking or nuking is, but I do know that the Verizon 9930 is unlike any other BB I have owned (about 5 over 10 years). The first one had garbled phone transmission but not reception. The next two lasted about one month before going completely dead with no wake up, even with a freshly charged battery that worked in another machine. When I plug in the USB charger (regardless of make) I just get a red light on the upper right. Nothing else irrespective of time. The service people go through the technician who says ask Verizon to send a new one, Verizon does not even want the old one back! (That will change the statistics on returned phones).

My latest guess is that it has something to do with the new design, half touch screen. Has anyone with similar problems kept the bb in a holster when not being used, not a pocket?
    vzw will want the phone back, whoever told you to keep it dosent know what they're talking about. you get charged for unreturned phones from warranty replacements.
    01-09-12 06:25 PM
    Charge fully and do battery pulls for the first couple of weeks.

Dont be scared of it if its going to happen it will.

If it does you will be part of the Crackbricky Fraternity

Good Luck!

PS. Mine has never bricked had nearly 3mths
    01-09-12 08:24 PM
    I bricked my Bold the fifth time today. Funny, I backed it up yesterday, I must be psychic. Anyway - I was upgrading my BBMessenger when it happened, I was upset but I knew what to do.
    At this very moment, I just wiped my BB clean and now downloading the OS. I knew exactly what to do which kinda bothered me. I'm not exactly technically adept, but I shouldn't be an expert on restoring my phone's OS.
    And still, I love my Bold 9900. I must be a masochist.
    01-09-12 08:34 PM
    I bricked my Bold the fifth time today. Funny, I backed it up yesterday, I must be psychic. Anyway - I was upgrading my BBMessenger when it happened, I was upset but I knew what to do.
    At this very moment, I just wiped my BB clean and now downloading the OS. I knew exactly what to do which kinda bothered me. I'm not exactly technically adept, but I shouldn't be an expert on restoring my phone's OS.
    And still, I love my Bold 9900. I must be a masochist.
    I would be bothered if you Didn't know what to do, lol.
    01-09-12 09:23 PM
    I bricked my Bold the fifth time today. At this very moment, I just wiped my BB clean and now downloading the OS.
    I'm glad it's still working, but your BB wasn't bricked. Bricked is 'send it back to the carrier' dead. Not reload a corrupted/nuked OS.
    01-09-12 09:27 PM
    I have always seen people discuss on this forum about bricking and how to avoid it, etc etc. However I must say I have little idea what it is or what causes it.

Reading through so far though it seems I am a 'bad user' haha.

Almost every night my Bold hits the charger and remains on and charging while I sleep, this is using the out-of-box charger.

At least once a week my phone's battery gets to the low point where it flashed its green light. I have even been known on some occasions to let it go so low to the point where it will turn off its cellular antenna.

I treat my phone like all my other devices. It has been dropped, had greasy food on the keyboard, experienced an in pocket experience with the car keys and even slept with me every few weekends, I download apps and update OS' but still though this phone looks new, has never 'bricked' or frozen or exploded.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is no matter how careful or strict you are with your phone, if it wants to brick, it will brick. Why add more stress to your life by running around and doing the 'don't brick' dance every evening, that's what a warranty is for
    Last edited by tyler_JC; 01-09-12 at 10:00 PM.
    01-09-12 09:57 PM
    I won my 9900 so I don't have a warranty or insurance

I charge my phone at night every night from the charger the phone came with... if I wake up be4 my alarm to it fully charged ill take it off the charger and shut it off... I only charge it once during the day if needed... I never let my battery go below 20% and I have a spare battery for the days I know im going to be out and about and heavily using the bb

I hope I don't ever have a brick issue (knock on wood) I can't imagine not using this BB but I do still have my 9780 for backup just in case

The only issue I had was my 9900 rebooted itself and that has only happend once

Other then that its by far the best BB I have ever used
    01-09-12 10:31 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD