Just got my BlackBerry Bold 9900 on AT&T this morning, and I just have a question.
    Is there any way to PREVENT my Bold 9900 from bricking or becoming nuked?
    My Bold was made in Mexico 4, OS .440, and I notices it has the long white elongated sticker when you remove the battery.
    I don't want my Bold to f-up on me. How to prevent it?
    01-02-12 05:12 PM
    Just got my BlackBerry Bold 9900 on AT&T this morning, and I just have a question.
    Is there any way to PREVENT my Bold 9900 from bricking or becoming nuked?
    My Bold was made in Mexico 4, OS .440, and I notices it has the long white elongated sticker when you remove the battery.
    I don't want my Bold to f-up on me. How to prevent it?
    i think that would only be possible if u were to leave it in your dresser drawer!!
    lol
    i've had mine since it was released and havent had any problems what so ever. great device
    HollyDolly likes this.
    01-02-12 05:20 PM
    The only sure way... leave it in the box, and just gaze lovingly at it once in a while
    pcgizmo#IM likes this.
    01-02-12 05:21 PM
    Not exactly no
    But DON'T charge your phone overnight because most people charged their 9900 and woke up to a bricked phone
    01-02-12 05:56 PM
    Not exactly no
    But DON'T charge your phone overnight because most people charged their 9900 and woke up to a bricked phone
    Thats correct but ipI charge my phone in bedside mode every night and it has never bricked or nuked or had any sort of problem. However, i dont know if this has anything to do with bricking
    01-02-12 06:13 PM
    Not exactly no
    I would hardly use the word "most", unless by most you mean about <1%

If it was anywhere close to even 10% you'd be reading about it in the news and not simply a dedicated forum where most come to complain...

OP, just use the phone as you would any other. Worst case if something happens (and chances are remote), you have a warranty through AT&T.
    01-02-12 06:19 PM
    Same here. Have a Rogers and an AT&T 9900 both since release on the carriers. Both charge over night. Never had one brick on me. Rogers on the 7.1 leak and AT&T on .585.
    01-02-12 06:21 PM
    Sadly after my fourth 9930 phone exchange (two for bricking) My answer was droid 3. I still have my Playbook32 but its not the tool I thought it would be because I cant bridge anymore but its fun to surf with at home. I went from BB strong supporter to a disenchanted former customer. I even went to RIM CUSTOMER SERVICE AND THEY BASICALLY said through e-mails they don't care call the carrier.
    01-02-12 06:22 PM
    Sadly after my fourth 9930 phone exchange (two for bricking) My answer was droid 3. I still have my Playbook32 but its not the tool I thought it would be because I cant bridge anymore but its fun to surf with at home. I went from BB strong supporter to a disenchanted former customer. I even went to RIM CUSTOMER SERVICE AND THEY BASICALLY said through e-mails they don't care call the carrier.
    Unlike Apple, RIM does not handle warranty support directly (aside form the Playbook). It can only be done via the carrier the device was purchased through. Therefore it's normal that RIM would direct you back to your carrier.
    01-02-12 06:28 PM
    Do Not use the Charger that came in the box somehow that is somewhat associated with the bricking or nuking.

Use a different charger. I got my phone Dec. 15th no bricking or nuke so far. I use my Torch 9800 charger er actually the Rocket Fish Charger that works for any phone.

Do Not let the battery run too low.
    gtifreak190 likes this.
    01-02-12 06:41 PM
    I have had a VZW 9930 since Thanksgiving....I am using the RIM supplied charger and have NOT had ANY issues with bricking. I do NOT run my Bold down to the point it cuts off and I always charge the phone overnight.
    01-02-12 06:45 PM
    I agree. Some torch 9850/60 have bricked also. I don't let mine get below 20% charge before it is getting plugged in.
    01-02-12 06:59 PM
    No problems with my 9900, its been dropped, I dont particularly take too much care of it and I have flashed it 20x in last 3 months and now running a hybrid os7.1

I wouldnt worry too much, like any modern device, keep a back up often...enjoy the phone man!
    01-02-12 07:42 PM
    The last thing I need if for my Bold to brick. I will not let it run below 20% and I will charge it with my old Torch charger.
    I'm also scared to update apps if it bricks how will I fix this?
    01-02-12 07:48 PM
    You don't need to be scared. Only install apps for it.
    01-02-12 07:54 PM
    So far from AT&T no reported bricking issues
    01-02-12 09:25 PM
    I charge overnight with the charger that came in the box, I even use my boyfriend's old droid charger. I don't let it get below 20%, I have an extra battery in my purse, just in case.
    01-02-12 09:39 PM
    I'm on my second 9900. The first one did a half bricking type thing. The phone would shut off on it's own and won't turn back on until I either did a battery pull or turn it on. This happened several times so I got a brand new replacement. On my second one, same thing happened, but only once. I've updated the software and I'm hoping it fixed the issue. I also charge my phone overnight.
    01-02-12 10:13 PM
    I suggest getting the iPhone Brick Emulator.
    01-02-12 10:41 PM
    Not exactly no
    Crap! Really? I put mine on the charger every night (turned off) and in the morning it turns on for me ..... Well so far anyhow.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-12 12:16 AM
    Crap! Really? I put mine on the charger every night (turned off) and in the morning it turns on for me ..... Well so far anyhow.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I also charge my phone overnight while it is off and I have had no problems with bricking. Anyway, I refuse to tippy-toe around a device and will use it as I use all my other devices. Should it crap out I will just get a replacement.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about the bricking if I were you. Just backup regularly.
    tyler_JC likes this.
    01-03-12 02:18 AM
    Can anyone explain the terms "bricking" "nuked" ?
    01-03-12 02:51 AM
    I think your concerns for bricking it are going to very much ruin your experience of the phone. Just run with whats been said, use it abuse it if you are very very unlucky and have problems then get it replaced by your carrier. If it did brik it wouldn't be your fault but if its going to happen worrying about it wont change it so go ahead enjoy it.
    tyler_JC likes this.
    01-03-12 05:13 AM
    None here know what is bricking our phones.

This is only known by RIM and they are NOT talking.
    01-03-12 05:32 AM
    We've rolled out hundreds of 9900s here. No problems at all.

I use a 9900. No problems at all.

I have multiple friends with 9900s. No problems at all.

I've asked my bell rep who supplies our company with communications gear on multiple occasions if he has had or heard of any "bricked" bold 9900s. Of the thousands of units he has processed, he hasn't had nor heard of any problems that weren't attributed to user error. No bricked devices just nuked devices from people screwing up their OS installs or physically busted screens from people dropping them and stuff.

I'd say...The problem is not nearly as bad as people think. More than likely, a very high percentage of the user names crying about bricked devices, are just viral marketing trolls who work for competitors of RIM like Apple or Google and are here to talk trash about their competition.

Just use your amazing phone and love it.

And btw...I've charged mine over night almost every night since I have gotten it.
    Fnord likes this.
    01-03-12 05:40 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD