How often are you having to do a battery pull/reboot with the 9900/9930 in comparison to the older OS 5 and OS 6 models? I find myself going about a week without having to do a battery pull/reboot with OS 7. With my other berries I had to do a battery pull/reboot almost daily to keep something from hanging or freeing up memory.
    09-26-11 08:44 AM
    How often are you having to do a battery pull/reboot with the 9900/9930 in comparison to the older OS 5 and OS 6 models? I find myself going about a week without having to do a battery pull/reboot with OS 7. With my other berries I had to do a battery pull/reboot almost daily to keep something from hanging or freeing up memory.
    If I were doing a bttery pull it would be to retrieve memory leaks like I use to have on my Tour but I don't find that as much so far on the 9930 I have so I have pulled my battery only once for another reason. Otherwise all seems good so far.
    09-26-11 08:52 AM
    I think my brother has only battery pulled (with the keyboard) for installing applications.
    it is relatively fast so he doesn't mind.
    09-26-11 08:53 AM
    ...same here, I've only done a soft (or 'required') reset when newly downloaded apps necessitate it, or when deleting them from my phone when I decide I don't like / want them. I've never needed to do a full-on battery pull - which I'm glad about, since I'm also using an Otterbox!!
    YourMobileGuru likes this.
    09-26-11 10:59 AM
    Almost everyday... I too have two batteries

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-26-11 12:06 PM
    ...same here, I've only done a soft (or 'required') reset when newly downloaded apps necessitate it, or when deleting them from my phone when I decide I don't like / want them. I've never needed to do a full-on battery pull - which I'm glad about, since I'm also using an Otterbox!!
    Yeah really...I love the otterbox commuter I have but it is a PITA to get back on after you remove it!
    09-26-11 12:19 PM
    When I start my 9900, I have about 50mb free of application memory (most of the 512mb which is taken up by "other", whatever that is), and when this app memory leaks down to 2 or 3 mb, after about 8 hours, coming back from sleep mode can take up to a minute. That's when I have to do a battery pull. Since I'm only getting 12 hours at best (and I'm sure this leak has a lot to do with it), I have to use my alternate battery anyway.

I hope a fresh install of an upcoming new OS will make this better.
    09-26-11 12:36 PM
    Wow, I have no idea how you even managed to get the memory down to 2mb, let alone 50mb after a reboot...

I have 387mb memory free after a reboot
    09-26-11 12:52 PM
    Yeah really...I love the otterbox commuter I have but it is a PITA to get back on after you remove it!
    second that! i have never done the batt pull, just rebooted for apps.. and i have the otterbox commuter too
    09-26-11 12:57 PM
    Wow, I have no idea how you even managed to get the memory down to 2mb, let alone 50mb after a reboot...

I have 387mb memory free after a reboot
    Well, although I still keep all my email messages on my 9900 for the last 4 years (which is only about 35,000 emails, and I think about 30 mb - "database sizes" report on my 9900 doesn't seem to work), I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. I'd like to see if it's my personal data that is taking so much of the "other" space. I guess I'll see that on the next OS install. At boot up, on app memory, I have 250 mb used by system, 81.2 mb of apps, and 170 mb or so taken up by "other"

The other question is, how far would this leak go? I mean, even if I boot up with 200mb free of app memory, will that all be eaten up in time, or does it stop at a certain point? Only time will tell. I've uninstalled "YouMail" an app which I though might have been the memory leak culprit, but, in all honesty, I'm not running a lot in the background.

Sucks......

But, PS - I tend to always push devices to their limits. I only have less than 1gb left on my iPhone 4 32gb, and I don't even have any videos loaded (but have a few hundred CDs downloaded offline on Napster and Rhapsody, but, they are relatively low quality, don't take up too much space). My 500 iPhone apps do take a lot of space!
    Last edited by jeffharris; 09-26-11 at 01:04 PM.
    09-26-11 01:01 PM
    I have 200Mb of available memory after a reboot and tend to have to do one every 4-5 days. My memory holds steady typically for 2-3 days before gradually leaking about 30Mb. This is better than previous devices for me. This is the first device since my 8703 that I have not used QuickPull to schedule a daily reboot.
    09-26-11 01:13 PM
    Any apps outhere that can show my remaining ram memory in the notification bar?
    09-26-11 01:23 PM
    I pulled my battery about a week or so ago. I don't usually see any need to but I like to give all my devices a hard reset every now and then.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-26-11 01:29 PM
    I haven't even removed the battery cover since I first fitted it 3 or 4 weeks ago
    09-26-11 01:48 PM
    I have never removed the battery since I bought the thing. Never checked available memory either. The thing just works and never slows down.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-26-11 01:51 PM
    Almost no leak at all for me after installing OS .353, I had 245.9Mo of free mem and now 245.6Mo

I guess I won't be doing battery pulls as much as I did with my 9700 on OS6...
    09-26-11 01:53 PM
    I do one, once a week just for good house keeping.

I do not do it because my phone is lagging or misbehaving, one of those "just cause" reasons.
    09-26-11 03:42 PM
    I do it once or twice a week. Really though im not sure why. I think I have been in such a habit of doing multiple pulls a day with my old phones that I will just randomly pull the battery on the 9930 because I think it needs it. LOL talking about developing bad habits.
    09-26-11 03:57 PM
    Haven't done a battery pull in years.....

My 8520 though, every second day...lmao
    09-26-11 04:01 PM
    so far, never. been flawless since launch date
    09-26-11 06:57 PM
    I don't believe I have ever done a battery pull on my 9930, at least not to free up memory or because the device locked up. About the only time I power cycle the thing is when software is installed or removed and it is required.
    Last edited by VZWRocka; 09-26-11 at 08:31 PM.
    09-26-11 08:27 PM
    Am I missing something? I thought battery pulls were no longer needed.
    09-26-11 10:36 PM
    Am I missing something? I thought battery pulls were no longer needed.
    Generally they aren't. They are just old habit to some people and some people load so many apps on their device that they have a limited amount of extra memory on their devices so they find it helpful

Like I said above I don't believe I have ever done one for those reasons on the 9930 and honestly rarely did it on my 9650 either (maybe once a week or so)
    09-26-11 10:52 PM
    I've had to do a battery pull at least 3 times a week since I've bought the 9930 from Sprint in October! Mainly because the touchscreen would constantly stop working. Sprint hasn't issued any new updates, and I'm wary of using a version of os they do not support. I've already reinstalled current version once, and that helped during the first week I got it, but it didn't fix my touchscreen issues at all

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-11 06:28 AM
    Since roll out on Sprint I have only messed with battery two times.
    12-09-11 06:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD