So I saw Adam's video on using NFC with the 9900 and I'm all set to try it out.
    NFC tags in my car and at home and work have the gadgetyMe salivating.
    I just want to know what impact would keeping the NFC on all day long have on battery life?

Currently the 9900 gets me through the day. Probably need to charge it around 10PM. But if it bleeds battery then I would be a little skeptical about the usability.

Anyone has any experience with this?
    01-19-12 08:58 AM
    I don't have a definate answer on this, but I can't imagine that it would use a whole lot of battery. The range of NFC is quite limited, so it's not powering a really strong signal... That's a good question!
    01-19-12 09:07 AM
    Maybe Adam would drop in on this thread and clarify the battery issue.
    01-19-12 09:16 AM
    I too would like to know, thanks for asking.
    01-19-12 09:44 AM
    Not much I guess. Less than Bluetooth maybe?
    01-19-12 11:10 AM
    I haven't noticed it eating much at all. I'm on 7.1.0.205 now and I make it through a day (8am to say 11pm) without issue.
    01-19-12 12:24 PM
    One thing to notice about NFC is that most of it, unlike Bluetooth/WiFi, is off when the backlight is off or when the BB is locked.

Details:
    NFC has 3 modes, P2P (used in for example BB tags), Read/Write (used in apps like Smart Tags and NFCShortcuts) and Card Emulation mode (used for payment apps).
    The first 2 are power hungry while the 3rd one can get all of its power from the external Readers the BB is tapped to.

The first 2 modes are always off when the backlight is off and when the BB is locked (for many this means NFC Off most of the time)

So, NFC doesn't have much impact on the battery life.

I have it on all the time.
    01-26-12 01:42 PM
    Near Field Communication: Niche Tech or the Next Big Thing?

and i quote..
    "Q: Battery life is a major issue with smartphones. How much of a drain is each NFC connection?

K.H.: In standby mode, a correctly designed NFC solution should not consume any power. Given then NFC connection duration is very short -- typically a second -- the power drain is not significant. "
    01-26-12 04:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD