New themes always take a long time to drop....that annoys me to no end.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-13-11 12:39 PM
    i have a droid 2 for sale if anyone wants it
    06-13-11 01:14 PM
    I bought a 3 week old Curve 3G on Craigslist in perfect condition to do exactly this. I tweaked the heck out of it, loaded the most recent OS on it, added the OS7 icons from Six Dot X and also Tether, which I thought would add to resale value. It's flawless and scratch free.

I paid $50. It will sell for nearly $200 once I have it all said and done. I do this all the time. Works great!
    Sorry, just kinda looking into what you said.. So by "tweaking the heck out of it" you simply loaded the most recent OS (that anyone can do easily, as they push you to do so), downloaded a $1 theme to get OS7 Icons, and threw away money ($25 assuming that's what you paid as it always goes on sale for half off) for Tether app? (I say 'threw away' because every carrier and their mother can see the Tethering coming from your phone and they are legally able to (and do) just add a nice little monthly tethering charge on your phone bill because of it.)

From that, you spent $26 between Tether and a theme and you are expecting to quadruple what you paid for it a year ago? I mean I'm sorry.. I see you're a salesman and all, but you have to go re-do some math.. I have all of the same stuff on my phone in mint condition on a newer phone (Bold 9650) and I would be amazed if someone gave me $150 for it..

I'm not "coming at you" or anything, just simply trying to bring you back to the real world, that's all (I guess your username kinda sums up what is going on through your head though )

PS. MrBiznessman, the OS7 icons come with just about every new theme that has come out ever since the old "OS6.1" was announced. You might be confused in your head with OS7, but OS7 and OS6.1 are the same thing, so when you go to a current theme and they say OS6.1 icons, they actually mean OS7)
    Last edited by flip4life4751; 06-13-11 at 03:03 PM.
    06-13-11 02:27 PM
    wow... that's smart as ****... where did u get the OS7 icons???
    They come as part of Six Dot X, a great OS7 theme.
    06-13-11 02:58 PM
    Sorry, just kinda looking into what you said.. So by "tweaking the heck out of it" you simply loaded the most recent OS (that anyone can do easily, as they push you to do so), downloaded a $1 theme to get OS7 Icons, and threw away money ($25 assuming that's what you paid as it always goes on sale for half off) for Tether app? (I say 'threw away' because every carrier and their mother can see the Tethering coming from your phone and they are legally able to (and do) just add a nice little monthly tethering charge on your phone bill because of it.) So....lots of assumptions on your part, bub....lots of assumptions....

From that, you spent $26 between Tether and a theme and you are expecting to quadruple what you paid for it a year ago? I mean I'm sorry.. I see you're a salesman and all, but you have to go re-do some math.. I have all of the same stuff on my phone in mint condition on a newer phone (Bold 9650) and I would be amazed if someone gave me $150 for it..You need to start re-thinking your strategy, my friend....that phone would collect $275 in my market if super clean

I'm not "coming at you" or anything, just simply trying to bring you back to the real world, that's all (I guess your username kinda sums up what is going on through your head though ) impressive....did you think of that all by yourself?
    Actually........

I'm not a salesman. I am a corporate trainer.

I bought the Curve 3G two weeks ago from someone who had it for three weeks. For $50.

I have had Tether for quite some time, and Six Dot X the day it came out.....and yes, I paid half price for Tether, so what? Never had them add a tethering fee to my bill. Must suck to be you if that has happened to you.

I didn't list everything I have done, no need, I just know it works.

As for the OS, I have done the hybridization and shrunken the OS so it doesn't run out of memory so quickly. I optimized it.

Sorry you feel the way you do, but I have sold every one of my Blackberry's on Craigslist for a profit since I started using them years ago....works like a charm. You just have to know 'when' to sell them and for 'how much'. It's an artform - writing a simple ad and then offering it at the right 'time' (think payday....) - not sure why you were so ruffled over this.

Oh, another thing, I didn't buy those apps to sell this phone, I used them on previous Blackberry's and have them loaded on this one to increase resale value for the right buyer. I have buyers who look for my ads since I take immaculate care of my phones.

No, I didn't take offense, but I did do my research to know this works.

The username is a old joke for an good friend, when I was working for VW and referencing my hands. If you knew me, you'd get it.

But you don't.

And I am on Earth, making more profit selling my Blackberry's than you.
    Last edited by AliensWanted; 06-13-11 at 03:11 PM.
    06-13-11 03:08 PM
    Actually........
    And I am on Earth, making more profit selling my Blackberry's than you.
    This actually remains to be unknown as i have yet to attempt to sell my blackberry as I am currently using it. I did although sell my LG Dare to someone for $75 under the condition that they let me use THEIR upgrade to buy the Bold 9650, so I have been out of contract for over a year and ready to pounce on this 9900 the second it comes out. So from my previous track record on selling phones, I sold the LG Dare which was worth nothing at the time as they weren't even manufactured anymore for a 7500% markup in that case, AND a FREE upgrade which saved me what? $300 on my current phone? I mean if you are using those statistics than sorry sir, but I blew you out of the water, but this isn't a competition so I honestly do not care.

You entirely missed my point before because you took it entirely wrong.. For instance, do these people know when they are buying your phone that what makes it different from the others on the market for 1/4 of the cost are:

1.) A hybrid OS that might be beneficial UNTIL they do a simple upgrade OTA or on the computer and BOOM, a big portion of what they paid for the phone is thrown out the window because they simply want to keep their phone up to date.

2.) They are using a simple $1.99 theme that makes it appear as the phone is an OS7 device from the home screen, yet it actually IS NOT OS7. Does the average person you target even know what that means? Probably not, so they are probably under the impression that they have an OLDER phone that is running the MOST CURRENT OS7 Software because of the icons and not even realize that you are merely tricking them by not telling them exactly what is going on.

3.) You came at me for making assumptions that were actually pretty much correct, yet seemed to entirely miss what I was talking about with the whole tethering app. Did I say it happened to me? No. Have I seen numerous people get shot with the fees due to the carrier doing this? Yes. I read these forums enough to be in the know with what is currently going on and the fact that you have yet to be hit for a Tethering fee is normal, but I will guarantee to you that if you continue doing it long enough and use the tether feature enough, they will throw it onto your bill. Whether you have At&t, Verizon, Sprint, whatever.. They are all cracking down.

From this being said, I feel that you are almost tricking these people into paying much more than they should for a phone because they do not actually know what is going on. I do not even consider that being good at sales, that is just using your knowledge to take advantage of people. Sure you keep your phones in great condition, but many other people have a perfect condition phone for 1/4 of the cost (aka what you bought yours for) but you throw around the words "I have done the hybridization and shrunken the OS so it doesn't run out of memory so quickly. I optimized it." and people are like OMG when they read it even though it was as simple as running the OS through a program and will be entirely wiped out the second the upgrade, OS7, etc. It is not actually telling people what is really going on... They update their phone once on their own and they lose most of what you are charging them for.. That is taking advantage in my opinion and that is why I took a liking to your post and felt the need to say something. But hey, whatever.
    Last edited by flip4life4751; 06-13-11 at 03:44 PM.
    06-13-11 03:32 PM
    This actually remains to be unknown as i have yet to attempt to sell my blackberry as I am currently using it. I did although sell my LG Dare to someone for $75 under the condition that they let me use THEIR upgrade to buy the Bold 9650, so I have been out of contract for over a year and ready to pounce on this 9900 the second it comes out. So from my previous track record on selling phones, I sold the LG Dare which was worth nothing at the time as they weren't even manufactured anymore for a 7500% markup in that case, AND a FREE upgrade which saved me what? $300 on my current phone? I mean if you are using those statistics than sorry sir, but I blew you out of the water, but this isn't a competition so I honestly do not care.

You entirely missed my point before because you took it entirely wrong.. For instance, do these people know when they are buying your phone that what makes it different from the others on the market for 1/4 of the cost are:

1.) A hybrid OS that might be beneficial UNTIL they do a simple upgrade OTA or on the computer and BOOM, a big portion of what they paid for the phone is thrown out the window because they simply want to keep their phone up to date.

2.) They are using a simple $1.99 theme that makes it appear as the phone is an OS7 device from the home screen, yet it actually IS NOT OS7. Does the average person you target even know what that means? Probably not, so they are probably under the impression that they have an OLDER phone that is running the MOST CURRENT OS7 Software because of the icons and not even realize that you are merely tricking them by not telling them exactly what is going on.

3.) You came at me for making assumptions that were actually pretty much correct, yet seemed to entirely miss what I was talking about with the whole tethering app. Did I say it happened to me? No. Have I seen numerous people get shot with the fees due to the carrier doing this? Yes. I read these forums enough to be in the know with what is currently going on and the fact that you have yet to be hit for a Tethering fee is normal, but I will guarantee to you that if you continue doing it long enough and use the tether feature enough, they will throw it onto your bill. Whether you have At&t, Verizon, Sprint, whatever.. They are all cracking down.

From this being said, I feel that you are almost tricking these people into paying much more than they should for a phone because they do not actually know what is going on. I do not even consider that being good at sales, that is just using your knowledge to take advantage of people. Sure you keep your phones in great condition, but many other people have a perfect condition phone for 1/4 of the cost (aka what you bought yours for) but you throw around the words "I have done the hybridization and shrunken the OS so it doesn't run out of memory so quickly. I optimized it." and people are like OMG when they read it even though it was as simple as running the OS through a program and will be entirely wiped out the second the upgrade, OS7, etc. It is not actually telling people what is really going on... They update their phone once on their own and they lose most of what you are charging them for.. That is taking advantage in my opinion and that is why I took a liking to your post and felt the need to say something. But hey, whatever.
    Nope, I don't take advantage of people at all, like I said, I have people who reach out to me and look for my ads because they KNOW what I have done.

I don't 'target' anyone.....that's a pretty strong claim and quite honestly, fairly offensive. I would never mislead someone. Basically, when I sell a phone, I am selling one that has been pampered, deliberately, to someone who is looking to buy a great quality phone.....at the upper end of market value. If they want the OS I hybridized, I give them that. If not, they know it can go back to a stock build. It's up to them, not me. I have the discussion with them so they know what they're getting into. You sure are accusing me of lots of stuff....which begs me to believe that someone somewhere screwed you over at some point....and I KNOW it was not me.

I do not market it as OS7...again, that's misleading. It is purely aesthetic, but the new icons are directly from OS7 and I say EXACTLY that...along with the build information if they request it.

I make no bones about it, I am making a profit, but I also stand behind what I sell. If someone has an issue, I step in and help them.

I treat people fairly and with dignity when it comes to selling a phone. I tell them EXACTLY what is up; good, bad or indifferent.

The fact that I make it attractive is smart, not deceptive.
    Last edited by AliensWanted; 06-13-11 at 03:54 PM.
    06-13-11 03:49 PM
    Nope, I don't take advantage of people at all, like I said, I have people who reach out to me and look for my ads because they KNOW what I have done. I even state in my ads I am more than happyo to load the normal OS on there.

I would never mislead someone. Basically, when I sell a phone, I am selling one that has been pampered, deliberately, to someone who is looking to buy a great quality phone.....at the upper end of market value.

I do not market it as OS7...again, misleading. It is purely aesthetic, but the new icons are directly from OS7 and I say EXACTLY that...along with the build information if they request it.

I make no bones about it, I am making a profit, but I also stand behind what I sell. If someone has an issue, I step in and help them.

Did some salesperson screw you over and now ALL salespeople suck? Dude, get a grip.

I treat people fairly and with dignity when it comes to selling a phone. I tell them EXACTLY what is up, good, bad or indifferent.

The fact that I make it attractive is smart, not deceptive.
    Alright, fair enough. If you could, send me a link to your ad when you eventually put it up. If you are being honest with what you are saying, it would be interesting to see how you state what you have done unless you are indeed tricking people in a sense.

And no, I have not been screwed over recently that I can recall, but I just know how some people are and there becomes a point when marketing turns into taking advantage of and it looks like selling a $50 phone for $200 with very little differences from its competitors is getting close to the mark, that is all.

Again, with what I called you out on, you probably never want to speak to me so of course not send a link to the ad, but it would be interesting to see.

I like many other are getting stressed about this damn 9900 and just need to TYPE SOMETHING ANYTHING to satisfy myself with how slow these forums are moving.
    Last edited by flip4life4751; 06-13-11 at 04:01 PM.
    06-13-11 03:56 PM
    Alright, fair enough. If you could, send me a link to your ad when you eventually put it up. If you are being honest with what you are saying, it would be interesting to see how you state what you have done unless you are indeed tricking people in a sense.

And no, I have not been screwed over recently that I can recall, but I just know how some people are and there becomes a point when marketing turns into taking advantage of and it looks like selling a $50 phone for $200 is getting close to the mark, that is all.

Again, with what I called you out on, you probably never want to speak to me so of course not send a link to the ad, but it would be interesting to see.

I like many other are getting stressed about this damn 9900 and just need to TYPE SOMETHING ANYTHING to satisfy myself with how slow these forums are moving.
    I was most upset that you took the route of calling me a con man (in that I trick people) without actually asking me anything up-front to validate that, which makes me think you got screwed somewhere. I'll be happy to share my ad with you....doesn't bother me in the slightest. In the future, perhaps you should actually get the facts before you assume so much.....you were fairly assumptive and honestly, not much of it was appreciated. I go out of my way to make sure I treat people with respect when it comes to a business deal....period. I treat them the way I would want to be treated and it shows. This is why they keep coming back to me...and I have people I prefer to do business with as well because I know the quality and care put into the deal.

If something feels wrong or out of place, I will call off a deal. It's about doing the right thing.

I was merely trying to share a great way to capture the best resale value for a Blackberry to fellow Blackberry users. You took it to an entirely other level.

Just know that some people are actually quite honest when they sell something.....and I actually train that to the salespeople that work for my company. It's about ethics, honesty, integrity and value.

I practice what I preach.

And yeah, cannot wait for this 9900....really wish RIM could get it all put together. I am, starting to 'peruse' other OS's like webOS and WP7. Cannot stand iOS.
    06-13-11 04:06 PM
    And yeah, cannot wait for this 9900....really wish RIM could get it all put together. I am, starting to 'peruse' other OS's like webOS and WP7. Cannot stand iOS.
    I am kind of curious how WP7 is... I have actually not really seen any videos of it. I mean I have Windows 7 on my PC and Laptop right now and love it, but I feel as if Windows has never been one of the leaders in the Cell Phone OS market so I am kinda hesitant about it. Either way, I love my physical keyboard that RIM delivers, honestly I do not think I will ever leave RIM for that sole reason. The email and stuff that is special on a BlackBerry obviously help too but yeah
    06-13-11 04:23 PM
    While it won't be much, if BlackBerry still is doing the tradeup program when the Bold 9930 is released, I'll get only $50.00 for my Curve 8330. But $50.00 is $50.00

Just wondering where you got the numbers from. I saw the tradeup program on their site, but wasn't sure how much they give as they say like "up to 130" or something. Any idea how much they give for a Bold9650? I'm sure I could probably sell it on Craigslist or something for a bit more due to its pristine condition (; but I do like to know my options.
    06-13-11 04:27 PM
    I am kind of curious how WP7 is... I have actually not really seen any videos of it. I mean I have Windows 7 on my PC and Laptop right now and love it, but I feel as if Windows has never been one of the leaders in the Cell Phone OS market so I am kinda hesitant about it. Either way, I love my physical keyboard that RIM delivers, honestly I do not think I will ever leave RIM for that sole reason. The email and stuff that is special on a BlackBerry obviously help too but yeah
    I have a good friend who writes lots of blogs and does reviews who recently left Android for WP7...convinced him to try Blackberry but last year he tried the 9000.....oops. he was a long time Nokia guy who went head-first into Android and swore he would never leave, but like us both, the QWERTY of the Dell Venue Pro proved to be his tipping point...said a decent QWERTY eclipsed the OS all day long.

Anyway, he LOVES WP7...and with Mango coming up and the deep level integration, I am seriously tempted.

But as you stated, there has to be a phenomenal keyboard or I am OUT!

Even went to look at the Motorola XPRT on Sprint today since it is loaded with the better battery and Sprint service is superior in my hometown.

Meh.
    Last edited by AliensWanted; 06-13-11 at 05:18 PM.
    06-13-11 05:07 PM
    Just wondering where you got the numbers from. I saw the tradeup program on their site, but wasn't sure how much they give as they say like "up to 130" or something. Any idea how much they give for a Bold9650? I'm sure I could probably sell it on Craigslist or something for a bit more due to its pristine condition (; but I do like to know my options.
    Here's what I do. I spend some time on Craigslist and see what they're selling for......and wait for payday to be close by, that way people have money. Craigslist people tend to burn disposable income quicker than Ebay since they can come get it locally. It's simply the market style. I price reasonably....never the highest, never close to the lowest. Pics always help and too many words freaks people out and too little, well, that doesn't work either.

List a textable number, these people are all about 'buy it now', not later. You'll get a ton of replies quickly. But the thing is to look at how many are available right then....if it is flooded, then no calls happen.

Patience. Be honest, sincere and aggressive in a polite way...let them know you're trying to sell it, not wait for them......if they're serious, they'll show up.

Honesty works. It's not pushy, it's direct.

As for the value of a Bold 9650....today's value goes from $110 to $250 in Dallas, TX (where I am) on Craigslist, just looked it up. So somewhere in the middle to upper middle quality device with a wisely worded ad will fetch $175 all day long - if it's in great shape.
    Last edited by AliensWanted; 06-13-11 at 05:20 PM.
    06-13-11 05:15 PM
    I'll sell my 9700 after a while when I get either the Bold Touch or the Monza/ Monaco.
    06-13-11 05:22 PM
    I have the 9780 and am getting rid of it gor $333 and buy the 9900 for about $533

06-13-11 06:48 PM
    not me im keeping it as backup and rightfully so after 3 years of use.its good for me to have a backup in case something happens to my new one that i will be getting.besides there is no need for me to sell mine to outset the cost of the new one.i have an upgrade available since last year and im happy that i waited.paying $500/600 upfront for a device is just stupid.i never go for the non-commitment pricing.
    06-13-11 11:12 PM
    Here's what I do. I spend some time on Craigslist and see what they're selling for......and wait for payday to be close by, that way people have money. Craigslist people tend to burn disposable income quicker than Ebay since they can come get it locally. It's simply the market style. I price reasonably....never the highest, never close to the lowest. Pics always help and too many words freaks people out and too little, well, that doesn't work either.

List a textable number, these people are all about 'buy it now', not later. You'll get a ton of replies quickly. But the thing is to look at how many are available right then....if it is flooded, then no calls happen.

Patience. Be honest, sincere and aggressive in a polite way...let them know you're trying to sell it, not wait for them......if they're serious, they'll show up.

Honesty works. It's not pushy, it's direct.

As for the value of a Bold 9650....today's value goes from $110 to $250 in Dallas, TX (where I am) on Craigslist, just looked it up. So somewhere in the middle to upper middle quality device with a wisely worded ad will fetch $175 all day long - if it's in great shape.
    Appreciate it!
    [email protected] likes this.
    06-14-11 12:02 AM
    ill probably end up selling my torch which i just bought off craigslist along with the otterbox case i have for it
    06-14-11 02:48 AM
    I'll have an upgrade, but I'll probably give my current device to a friend or family member
    06-14-11 03:18 AM
    I will keep my 8520 as a back up.
    06-14-11 04:24 AM
    My phones are always handed down the family...
    06-14-11 08:53 PM
    Already done!
    Sold my Torch last week for �260...a loss of only �30.
    Not bad after four months of use.

As somebody mentioned earlier, it's only us true CBers who are aware of impending releases so early, an can take advantage by selling before prices drop dramatically upon mainstream announcement.

Am using my Nexus S as a daily-driver for now, which was previously just a bit of a plaything.
    Man do I miss my QWERTY.....not to mention BB battery life!

Have kept my BIS so as to be able to swap straight back, and will be buying a 9900 in week one.

Now HURRY UP please RIM. Please.

06-15-11 08:54 AM
    I shipped mine off this morning... I got $200 for it... exactly what i paid over a year ago to get it...
    06-16-11 09:53 AM
    I shipped mine off this morning... I got $200 for it... exactly what i paid over a year ago to get it...
    What are you using in the meantime? I'm hoping RIM still is doing the tradeup program when the Bold 9930 is released, I'll only be getting $50.00, but for a Curve 8330, that isn't bad
    06-16-11 10:18 AM
    Well since i work for a Sprint Store, we had another 9650 sitting here... so im still using the exact same model lol... #winning
    06-16-11 12:12 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD