Everytime I buy a new BlackBerry, I always tell myself I'm holding on to it for the next 2+ years, but end up getting a new one every 12-18 months. I know people who have used their Bold 9000 going on 3 years and still dedicated to their phone! I'm buying the Bold 9900 at full retail price and want to make the most out of it. I will definitely keep this one for 2+ years (or until the QNX based devices come out).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-11 11:44 PM
    I primarily upgrade as the OS changes and relevance have. The generational cycles from OS 4.3 to 4.7, to 5.0, and 6 have prompted me to utilize upgrading to learn how to deal with new changes.

As long as an Operating System is viable, the longer the device is useful to me. Each new span is a learning opportunity, and I can usually backtrack for older devices easily enough.

The Bold Touch would probably be in my stable for a while, though.

06-15-11 12:11 AM
    I've kept my 9700 for 2+ years now and plan to get the 9900. I was interested in the 9800 but didn't end up getting it. I'm trying to keep my phones for more then a year/year 1/2. I'll probably get the 9900 then fall in love with a QNX phone and get it. I'm a sucker for cool things especially BB things.

06-15-11 12:13 AM
    I get a new Blackberry every year whenever RIM releases a new one. So when the successor of the 9900 is out next year, I will get that. I tend to keep my Blackberries though. Still have my 9000 and 9700.
    06-15-11 12:49 AM
    Until the Torch 2 releases. Then I'll use that until the Apollo releases. then I'll use all three as the mood strikes. Then I'll get a non-BB, probably an iPxx......

I have a problem.
    06-15-11 04:05 AM
    I'm content with keeping my device for the full two year contract. I've been able to upgrade my Sprint Curve 8330 I originally got 06/09 since last year and held off hoping for a device like the Bold 9930, which I'll get soon as it's released and be happy with it until 2013, when QNX & 4G will be up and running for RIM and Sprint,

06-15-11 04:44 AM
    1 year bold 9700 -> 1 year bold 9900 -> QNX
    06-15-11 04:59 AM
    I've kept my 9700 for 2+ years now and plan to get the 9900. I was interested in the 9800 but didn't end up getting it. I'm trying to keep my phones for more then a year/year 1/2. I'll probably get the 9900 then fall in love with a QNX phone and get it. I'm a sucker for cool things especially BB things.

FYI, Bold 9700 came out approximately in second week of November 2009. Now it's June 2011. Your Bold 9700 is 2+ years old? Do the math.
    06-15-11 05:50 AM
    I kept my last BlackBerry for about 16months. but thats the longest ive ever owned a phone for.
    I normally sell then or give them to a friend after 6months when I get bored. however I've never actually waited for a phone like this, and or been excited, so i may keep it for a whole 18months! unless rim bring out another better bold next year!

06-15-11 06:38 AM
    Why don't we wait to see how much it has improved and how much we like it? But if it's a good solid reliable phone with much needed improvements I'll have it or one of the other new bb's until my contract is up.

I'm not into chasing the greatest thing out, if I were I'd be poor and constantly disappointed.
    06-15-11 06:58 AM
    Everytime I buy a new BlackBerry, I always tell myself I'm holding on to it for the next 2+ years, but end up getting a new one every 12-18 months. I know people who have used their Bold 9000 going on 3 years and still dedicated to their phone! I'm buying the Bold 9900 at full retail price and want to make the most out of it. I will definitely keep this one for 2+ years (or until the QNX based devices come out).

I will keep mine (supposing I get it) for the rest of my 3 year term.
    I have a Torch right now and I CANNOT see myself using it for 3 years. I got the Torch in December and I like it but... I would prefer the 9900 because of the size...
    It's tiny probably smaller than the I phone 4 so....
    06-15-11 07:06 AM
    I try to control myself and keep my BB for at least two years. The very first BB I had, I kept for two years because it was paid for by my parents. Now that I am independent, I may buy the 9900 soon. But most likely I will buy the Bold 9900 at the end of November. This way I reduce the cost of breaking my 3 year super long Canadian contract.

Also, I will be keeping an eye on what people has to say about their new Bold Touch several weeks after its release. This way you guys be my field testing lab rats.

06-15-11 07:26 AM
    Brilliant question. How long will I keep something that I haven't got yet and don't know when it will be released to be in my possession.

Yes, I'm really enjoying the object I do not have. And will probably keep it for at least 1000 years.
    Hmmm, how's that imaginary steak taste? So your single, how's married life treating you. You know what I'm feeling generous, you can have a 9900/9930 on me. So how do you like it so far? Hahahaha!

06-15-11 08:00 AM
    Stop by Starbucks again for that Machiato with a double shot???
    06-15-11 08:15 AM
    Well, since I am still rocking an 8330 waiting on the 9930 to drop, I would say that I plan on holding onto a 9930 for a 2-year contract period and possibly more if it meets my daily needs. My 8330 has been a great device and served me well, but it has been out-dated for some time now, and I am really ready for a solid upgrade, but there is no point in doing it until at least the 9900/9930 drops.
    06-15-11 08:16 AM
    Well, since I am still rocking an 8330 waiting on the 9930 to drop, I would say that I plan on holding onto a 9930 for a 2-year contract period and possibly more if it meets my daily needs. My 8330 has been a great device and served me well, but it has been out-dated for some time now, and I am really ready for a solid upgrade, but there is no point in doing it until at least the 9900/9930 drops.
    LOL I have a Curve 8330 also, I think the 1st day when I get the Bold 9930, it's gonna feel like having played an Atari console, then hooking up a PS3 or a xbox w/kinect ...err PONG anyone? Lol

06-15-11 09:39 AM
    No idea, will have to wait until I have one to see. If it actually has real browsing, it could be a keeper for quite some time. I get bored easily with devices, but I'm married to the portrait qwerty keyboard form factor. There's nothing notable from Android for Verizon on the horizon, so this may be the ticket. Currently on a Droid Pro for 7 months, longest I've had any single smartphone.
    06-15-11 09:51 AM
    I usually keep devices for full 2 year contracts and sometimes a bit more if I'm waiting on another device to drop.

In this case I'm not putting a time frame on it. I just won't upgrade until QNX is implemented and the kinks are well worked out (a few devices in), and 4G is up, running, and usable on a Blackberry. Otherwise there is no point in upgrading for another BB device. For this reason some people say to skip the 9900. But I believe this process will be much longer than some are speculating, so I think I'll be able to get plenty of life out of the 9900 before all of this happens.
    06-15-11 10:13 AM
    I usually keep devices for full 2 year contracts and sometimes a bit more if I'm waiting on another device to drop.

In this case I'm not putting a time frame on it. I just won't upgrade until QNX is implemented and the kinks are well worked out (a few devices in), and 4G is up, running, and usable on a Blackberry. Otherwise there is no point in upgrading for another BB device. For this reason some people say to skip the 9900. But I believe this process will be much longer than some are speculating, so I think I'll be able to get plenty of life out of the 9900 before all of this happens.
    Thats pretty much my plan as well, but we'll have to see.

EDIT: It really depends on when it will actually come out.
    Last edited by chillson1386; 06-15-11 at 11:16 AM.
    06-15-11 10:39 AM
    FYI, Bold 9700 came out approximately in second week of November 2009. Now it's June 2011. Your Bold 9700 is 2+ years old? Do the math.
    I swear I've had it longer then that! : ) must just feel like its been forever. So this means I'm only coming up on having it for 2 years...hmm. Well then. Thanks for the correction.

06-15-11 10:40 AM
    Stop by Starbucks again for that Machiato with a double shot???
    According to your avatar you are getting CLOSE to the big day! Do you think he/she will be before or after the 9900 comes out?
    06-15-11 11:11 AM
    You are in for a GIANT upgrade and will appreciate the 9930 more than we will!
    06-15-11 11:13 AM
    I'm a sucker for new devices, especially a BB. I'll pick one up at launch and any new ones that launch and decide which one I'll use as my daily driver, looks like the 9900 will be a keeper for me until QNX units roll out. Still loving the torch though.
    06-15-11 11:14 AM
    According to your avatar you are getting CLOSE to the big day! Do you think he/she will be before or after the 9900 comes out?
    Not getting close at all!!! Just turning into a BIG FAT PIG!!! At four months Ive already gone from 115 lbs to 130 lbs. I'm starting to waddle....

Yes, he (Caleb) will be arriving after the release. He already BBMd me to ask me to set aside a 9900 for him!

Looking at Nov 14ish....count back and you'll know how my Valentines Day celebration went!

EDIT don't know about that little question mark thingie...don't remember putting that on...
    06-15-11 11:22 AM
    I'll hold on to it as long as it works. I've had my Trusty Tour for 22 months now, no issues. So I'm hoping to have my 9930 for the Same.

06-15-11 11:36 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD