Hi all,

I am a Bold 9700 user with Telus and am now eligible for an upgrade.

I just broke my screen on my 9700 and purchased a new one; I figured I'd make the 9700 last a few more months until I switch to the 9900 on a new 3-year contract to get promotion pricing...

In everyone's experience, how long after release do the promotional prices start coming down? It can be had for $150 on a 3-year plan with Telus (which I don't find expensive, mind you) right now...

Will these prices come down next month or is it safe to assume that they will stick around for a bit? Just curious if anyone has every studied a pattern into the pricing...

My thoughts are that with Christmas season around the corner we will start seeing better deals; and also in Canada around Christmas time the big electronics stores (like Future Shop/Best Buy/etc) give out large gift cards with new activations (usually $75 or $100)...

Please give your feedback if you have any!

Cheers!
    08-22-11 07:26 AM
    You have the 9900 available for sale and can actually resist the temptation to buy it? and for only $150??? Dude I paid $707 USD for mine here in Dubai! Thank god for the price you got and go grab one now
    nvestn likes this.
    08-22-11 07:35 AM
    With T-Mo selling their 9900 at $300 with a two year contract, it should not be long.
    08-22-11 07:41 AM
    You have the 9900 available for sale and can actually resist the temptation to buy it? and for only $150??? Dude I paid $707 USD for mine here in Dubai! Thank god for the price you got and go grab one now
    Haha thanks... I'm a bit of a tight *** when it comes to spending on electronics as it's so easy to keep buying new technology every time something new comes out... Just looking for the best deal; and either way I have to wait for 9700 screen to come in so that I can sell it with a working screen before I buy a new one...
    08-22-11 07:42 AM

Fully agree.

You have a good phone now nvestn, but 9900 is a totally different device you would not regret paying a lot of money for.
    You will understand what I am talking about when you get it.
    08-22-11 07:43 AM
    Ah ok, good luck to you then.
    08-22-11 07:44 AM
    You sound like a level headed person wanting to get the most bang for the buck. I would suggest you wait until mid October and check prices then. The hype for the 9900 will have settled down and your carrier will have gotten all the early adopters and people that want to be the first on the block with a new device at that time. Also, the iPhone 5 will be out as well as the Droid Bionic and other Android offerings. These will all work to drive the price down for the 9900. I have a Tour and am going to use that strategy since for my purposes there really is no legitimate reason to rush.
    nvestn likes this.
    08-22-11 08:05 AM
    Yeah, like the prices for the old Bold came down quickly? Not likely for many months to come.
    08-22-11 08:33 AM
    This is an ever changing marketplace where RIM at least appears to want to become competitive in the consumer market. Everything here is speculation. I'm going to wait myself because I do believe after the new Android and iPhone devices are released in October, the OS7 devices are mainly going to be purchased by people that were going to buy a BlackBerry anyway especially at current price.
    The average consumer will be seeing phones with better specs, front facing cameras, tons of apps, better marketing for these phones will be prevalent as well. All right before the holiday season.
    If carriers don't reduce the prices for these phones, I don't believe they will sell well to consumers after October. IMO
    08-22-11 08:41 AM
    With the huge demand for this phone. I doubt the prices will come down anytime soon but this is just my speculation. Where I live in Dubai the phone is out of stock within 4 days! and the price was staggering high @ $707 USD but people bought them like hot pan cakes.
    08-22-11 08:43 AM
    The prices will come down when the iPhone 5 comes out and RIM realize their price mistake.
    08-22-11 08:46 AM
    If money is a consideration, the 9780 can be found at a good price
    08-22-11 08:50 AM
    If money is a consideration, the 9780 can be found at a good price
    I have a 9700, definitely not going to a 9780 for a bit more RAM!

I am set on the 9900, I just hate buying technology immediately after release... I remember buying a Storm 9530 for like $250 on a 3-year gig and the next month it was down to $99 for the same plan. That was a ****-off!
    08-22-11 08:52 AM
    havent read the replies but i know even the 9650 is still available for sprint for 199 still. berrys dont often go down fast
    08-22-11 09:15 AM
    Yeah, like the prices for the old Bold came down quickly? Not likely for many months to come.
    Well, perhaps not too long knowing that we might see a QNX phone early in 2012 and thus, knowing carriers like VZW, they may want to clear out inventory of their OS7 devices.
    08-22-11 09:20 AM
    One thing you need to remember, Telus like Rogers, treats new customers like gold when it comes to "New activation" costs on phones. Every 2-3 years when I do an upgrade on Rogers, even though I spend $100-150 a month on my cell bill depending on my phone usage (calls), its like pulling teeth with Rogers to get new customer pricing, and I have 2 friends that work at the Telus head office here in toronto and they said its the same thing with Telus to get upgrade pricing like a new customer. Soooooooo good luck and usually November is when Rogers does the big price drops on Flagship devices that were released a few months before hand
    08-22-11 09:28 AM
    Great observation, though I've already called Telus and I can get a Bold 9900 for $150 right now (which is new-customer pricing) at any time. That has never been an issue for me...
    08-22-11 09:30 AM
    Great observation, though I've already called Telus and I can get a Bold 9900 for $150 right now (which is new-customer pricing) at any time. That has never been an issue for me...
    Oh wow, now im jealous cause i always have to fight with rogers lmao usually when one carrier drops the price, the others follow suit, so with that great price, either go for it now, or wait it out until november
    08-22-11 09:33 AM
    I'm gonna wait it out I think!

That being said I haven't physically held a 9900 in my hands yet, so when that moment comes I may succumb early... lol

Thanks for all the comments, very constructive!
    08-22-11 09:35 AM
    With the huge demand for this phone. I doubt the prices will come down anytime soon but this is just my speculation. Where I live in Dubai the phone is out of stock within 4 days! and the price was staggering high @ $707 USD but people bought them like hot pan cakes.
    867$ here in Denmark.
    08-22-11 09:58 AM
    I have T-Mobile service. My upgrade is coming in October. But there is no way I'm paying $300 for the 9900 when Sprint has it for $200 (http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop...dt_phones&ptn=) on a web-only special price.

I would not like to change carriers, but if price of the Bold is still that high come October, I will look at my options veeeewy carefuwy...
    08-22-11 10:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD