I read a review stating that RIM used something they call "hard glass" or something similar. I have a tendency to carry my phone in my jeans pocket along kets and coins.. at the moment I have plastic screen saver on the screen which I hate, but I hate scratched screens even more!

Does anyone have any real day experiences/views of how hard the glass is?

wayn0
    09-15-11 04:23 AM
    We know it is NOT Corning Gorilla Glass, but hardened glass of some (lesser) kind.

But really? In the same pocket with keys and coins?

Why??? Jeans have minimum of 4 pockets. Couldn't the keys and coins move in with another room-mate and let your phone have the pocket to themselves?
    09-15-11 06:34 AM
    I read a review stating that RIM used something they call "hard glass" or something similar. I have a tendency to carry my phone in my jeans pocket along kets and coins.. at the moment I have plastic screen saver on the screen which I hate, but I hate scratched screens even more!

Does anyone have any real day experiences/views of how hard the glass is?

wayn0
    First off, and please no offense, but what the heck are you thinking? You need at least a sleeve or something to put that phone in. That should give a decent buffer at least. No other pockets? You should have at least one more pocket......I keep keys and coins in one and phone in the other.

Just a thought and hopefully no offense, just a suggestion. But there are decent sleeves you can use since a case sounds out of the question (beltclip case).
    09-15-11 07:12 AM
    No offence taken, but back pockets are useless as I sit on my *** at my desk. Leaving 2 front pockets - to hold:
    coins, car keys, office and home keys ( 7 keys!), coins, credit card - I have a messneger bag holding all other goodies, but dont using it when going to the gym or meeting a client for lunch..
    09-15-11 10:17 AM
    grab a best skins ever total body kit... phone looks naked but well protected (at least from scratches)
    [email protected] likes this.
    09-15-11 10:20 AM
    No offence taken, but back pockets are useless as I sit on my *** at my desk. Leaving 2 front pockets - to hold:
    coins, car keys, office and home keys ( 7 keys!), coins, credit card - I have a messneger bag holding all other goodies, but dont using it when going to the gym or meeting a client for lunch..
    I have to agree with AW and tell you the same thing as he did or even better, just get a small case to put it in even if you dont wear it but keep it there at your desk and pick it up when you have to get up to go somewhere.

Eventually you are going to scratch that glass no matter how hard the glass.
    09-15-11 10:23 AM
    My house/work keys consist of about 10 keys and are always in my pocket with my wallet on top, leaving my phone in my pocket on its own!
    Mines bezel has still got scratched though....

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-15-11 10:35 AM
    I always keep my naked 9930 in the same pocket as my keys and loose change and sometimes a pen and a box cutter, just to enrage everyone who is too anal about their phones :P

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    southlander and Big_Ern like this.
    09-15-11 10:38 AM
    I always keep my naked 9930 in the same pocket as my keys and loose change and sometimes a pen and a box cutter, just to enrage everyone who is too anal about their phones :P

i can't say I agree, but i can definately LOL at your reasoning.
    09-15-11 11:10 AM
    you have jeans so i suggest a carbiner keychain your keys they hang nicely off your side as you "sit on your ***" i cannot imagine how uncomfortble 7 keys are in a pocket. I know how 3 keys are and i dont like it; but to each his own.

Image:

Link:
    carabiner keychain - Google Search

but you can get them at your local dollar store or walmart etc... for cheap. so now you can keep your phone in one pocket and the coins in the other. credit card... back pocket Its flat you wont notice unless you are on a hardened plastic seat... and no it wont "burn" an imprint in your back pocket.
    09-15-11 11:40 AM

LOL!

This is a kinda "Don't move or I shoot the puppy" moment!
    09-15-11 12:02 PM
    Or you could spend 79 cents at Amazon and get some cheap screen savers. My wife has a DroidX. We always kept a screen saver on it till my youngest son told her the deal about "Gorilla Glass". She looked at me defiantly and ripped off the screen saver. 2 weeks later, her screen is scratched up, but she is still defiant.
    [email protected] likes this.
    09-15-11 12:14 PM
    I have a plastic cover on the 9900 but it looks like sh1t.... thanks, looks like i'm keeping the plastic cover!
    09-15-11 12:17 PM
    The plastic cover won't protect the plastic parts. Need a pocket pouch it sounds like. I always take my phone and wallet out before I sit down anywhere, including a car, work, restaurant, etc.
    09-15-11 01:51 PM
    Seems plastic to me.....fwiw.

09-15-11 03:16 PM
    what kind of crappy screen protectors are people buying? Clear screen protectors you can't even see or feel the difference...
    09-15-11 03:41 PM
    The 7 keys in their key holder!
    09-16-11 01:06 AM
    wow took some of those keys straight out of the medieval age huh
    09-16-11 01:22 AM
    Still waiting for electricity and hot running water here in Europe!
    09-16-11 01:27 AM
    DUDE! Skeleton keys FTW! That's sweet. I'd rock those on a carabiner to show them off.
    09-16-11 04:53 AM
    Even Gorilla glas would be harmed by keys and coins in the pocket. Just think of what it would do to the rest of your 9900.

If you continue to do this, do not complain when your device looks like sh*t! That is if it does not already.
    clitrenta likes this.
    09-16-11 06:21 AM
    greggebhardt Just taken delivery of a rubber skin< and bought a pack of 10 screen covers made for the 9900 ( 10? for �2.99? bargain!) so will change the screen cover whenever it gets scratched.

Alienswanter: I'm a trader, not a safecracker!!. Skeleton keys!!
    09-16-11 07:41 AM

I think the laugh would be on you with that one. As someone who also does not like scratches and the like, I NEVER carry my phone (any phone) in a pocket with other stuff. Sorry but that's just asking for trouble and I don't think it's being anal to want to keep something you paid that much for nice. I've seen way to many people who just toss around their phones when they're home. They look like crap too (the phone ). Oh and it's a whole lot easier to sell your hand-me-downs if they don't look they've been dipped in peanut butter and run over by your car. Just sayin.....
    09-16-11 08:15 AM
    And yet after almost a month my 9930 is still scratchless, even after flying down a flight of stairs and onto pavement, face down

09-16-11 11:41 AM
    greggebhardt Just taken delivery of a rubber skin< and bought a pack of 10 screen covers made for the 9900 ( 10? for �2.99? bargain!) so will change the screen cover whenever it gets scratched.

Alienswanter: I'm a trader, not a safecracker!!. Skeleton keys!!
    Keys and coins will eat any exposed parts of your device UP!

If you do not give a **** do not worry about it!
    09-16-11 12:16 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD