How hard is it to come from Galaxy S2 to BOLD 9900? I feel as if am downgrading but friends and family SAY GET BBM

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-20-11 05:23 AM
    Not that hard. (thats what she said)
    Chrisy and kwalia71 like this.
    09-20-11 05:37 AM
    Depends on how you use your Galaxy, I suppose. If you regularly use features that aren't available on the 9900, then you'll probably feel like you're missing something. If you're compensating for . . . inadequacies elsewhere with the size of your smartphone screen, then you'll probably feel like you're missing something (I've heard big trucks and big guns also serve this purpose, however).

If instead you like to use your phone as a tool to facilitate communication, you should be fine.
    09-20-11 06:10 AM
    I have both phones, need both phones, and the one I would carry on me the most is the 9900. Reasoning behind it; the keyboard is super sweet and still far better than swype, bbm, bbm music, email and NFC.

Yes the Galaxy S2 is probably the best phone in the world right now, but for social integration and business use nothing comes close to the Blackberry...
    wilfreb likes this.
    09-20-11 07:45 AM
    You will dearly miss the giant screen, flash support, and dual core cpu. Everything else the blackberry can do as well or better along with the physical keyboard
    09-20-11 07:53 AM
    The screen I think is a little big I like the size off iphone. Ano the Iphone5 is coming which will be a beautiful device but when you have Ipad I don't see reason to carry iphone aswell cause its not the greatest phone.. Most of my friends have Blackberry but most (Not All). Say get iphone both same price so just dunno which to choose

09-20-11 08:05 AM
    I would say go 9900 so that you have the better phone with a nice keyboard and get a playbook to go with it so you have an even bigger touch screen for your browsing.
    09-20-11 08:06 AM
    I have Ipad2 so don't need Playbook. Really like 9900 just not sure if I will miss apps from Android/IOS. BATTERY life is a big 1 I can get 8/9 hours off Galaxy Which is not enough

09-20-11 08:16 AM
    I wouldn't switch away from Android to a new BlackBerry...yet. personally, I love and need the Android browser, big screen, widgets.

BBM is cool, but give LiveProfile a try. It's the same thing, minus group chats. Google Talk is good too.

Both are cross platform. I definitely would NOT go back to BlackBerry solely for BBM. If for a combo of reasons, I'd say go for it.

Let us know how it goes either way.
    09-20-11 08:20 AM
    Thanks chrisy best answer... I do miss a physical keyboard but only things that I think I would love about BB is BBM, keyboard,Be amongst the hardcore Crackberry Nation LOL

09-20-11 08:26 AM
    Thanks chrisy best answer... I do miss a physical keyboard but only things that I think I would love about BB is BBM, keyboard,Be amongst the hardcore Crackberry Nation LOL

I also miss, at times, the keyboard and notification system. BlackBerry has the best notifications in my opinion.

I thought I would miss BBM, but I don't. Most of my BBM contacts have now moved away from BlackBerry. I much prefer messaging that works cross platform.

Even using Google Voice for SMS is better than being locked Into a platform specific messaging system.

So, keep in mind all the choices for messaging: Google Voice and Talk, LiveProfile, Email, SMS, WhatUp, AIM, etc. So many free, cross use.

I do think going from a current Android to a current Blackberry is a downgrade. Now, that's just my opinion. You need to decide what is important to YOU in a smartphone.

Browser? Big screen? Video calling? BBM? Battery life? Apps?

I have a while until I can upgrade, but I'm evaluating my needs. For me, I could stay Android or get a BlackBerry plus a PlayBook combo to suit my needs.

However, if I went from Android to Blackberry I would miss a lot more than I would going the other way:

Browser with flash
    Widgets
    Awesome, useful apps
    Big screen
    Customizable screens (more than just app shortcuts like on BB)
    Free Google Navigation
    Google app integration
    Front facing camera, video chat
    Netflix
    True HTML email, ability to set auto show images

I love how gmail is handled on Android. Labels, syncing better than with BlackBerry.

Google calendar and contact sync is simple, works well, effortless. Pure Calendar Grid widget is the best I've ever seen on a phone hands down. BlackBerry calendar is lacking in my opinion.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 09-20-11 at 08:47 AM.
    Mylexon20s and kwalia71 like this.
    09-20-11 08:33 AM
    What are your need for a do called Smartphone?

09-20-11 09:39 AM
    What are your need for a do called Smartphone?

Yeah, you might need a physical keyboard! Say what?!
    09-20-11 09:46 AM
    Good advice. OP, find out what works for you.

I am a free spirit. I over research technology. I literally write lists of my needs, the attributes of devices, and compare.

In other words, what can any potential device do to make my life easier. Unfortunately, for me at the current time, BB fell a little short. My job and personal life need a full-fledged communication and social networking device, and I prefer cloud computing, so I picked Android.

As for BBM? Closed platforms, IMHO, have a built-in disadvantage. They are closed. It may work for iOS right now, but even iMessage will have its challenges. BBM almost demands that you and all your contacts stick with BB indefinitely. Before I switched platforms, my 100 BBM friends had dwindled down to less than 10 in a year.

Having said that, the new Berry devices are kinda cool. I recommend them to those who prefer physical keyboards.
    09-20-11 09:56 AM
    Sorry chris lol bad network. I was trying to say what are you needs for a so called Smartphone?

09-20-11 10:22 AM
    I loved my S2 to bits and although I popped back to my iphone now and then for a day or two always ended up back at my S2. When we went away for two weeks on a cruise I needed to keep my data download to a minimum as it was outside of europe and at �10+ per mb it was going to cost so I switched back to my 9780 a couple days before going away. My last day at work was mental, non stop calls and texts and when I finally finished for the day I sat back and thought how the **** would I have coped with the S2 with that much stress and fiddling around trying to type long emails and txts.

Anyway holiday over and after two weeks back on my bb I went back to my S2, and a few days after that went back to my BB. It wasn't until I did a comparison that I realised how much hassle it was to just look someone up from my contacts and send them a txt or email on the samsung. A week later I put the S2 up for sale and ordered a 9900, do I miss it yeah sure but the only real thing I miss is the voice recording feature which worked a treat on the S2, everything else I can do on my ipad, which stays with me 24/7 anyway so I just couldn't see the point any more. The bb whilst lacking a lot of gimmicks and features is 110% in the actual phone department and for me thats the priority.

I'm looking forward to the iphone 5 coming out but even that I dont think will tempt me away from my 9900, its superb and the touch screen is a nice feature even if I didn't think i would use it lol. Give the BB a go until you try that keyboard on the 9900 you aint tried anything, it feels like magic when you rattle out a message without having to read the whole thing back to look for typo's and in a nano second of time to.
    kwalia71 likes this.
    09-20-11 10:49 AM
    Sorry chris lol bad network. I was trying to say what are you needs for a so called Smartphone?

1. Browser
    2. Email/contact/calendar sync
    3. Apps
    4. GPS navigation
    5. Useable keyboard

I also like cloud storage some things like contacts, calendar, apps. I don't want to need to use a computer to backup or restore my device.

One of the biggest factors for me with Blackberry was the errors. My Tour had so many over the two years i had it. Every time I had to find a PC to fix it. Once, i was so frustrated I just got a warranty exchange instead.

BlacKberry Protect was not out back then. I like that it is now available. Still, reading the Bold and Torch forums I am seeing way too many "white screen" and error message threads. I won't deal with that.

I use my phone for communication first and foremost. I don't play games. I do what I would do on a comouter, on my phone. Bills, spreadsheets, booking flights and hotels, travel.

One example was recently I wanted to change the auto pay date for my Verizon bill. I used the Android browser to access the full VZW site, and made the change. In like, 4 minutes. With a BlackBerry, the browser is improved but still can't handle full, image and flash intense sites well. Nor can it deal with filling in text boxes. I tried the 9930 browser in the store and tested sites I visit most. It was clunky still. That's why many folks still use Opera Mini.

I like the big screen so there is also way less scrolling. Even for making and editing Word and Excel files, my Android is better than the 9930. It's just easier on the big screen, and takes less time to edit.

I've come to rely on widgets as well for quick views of info, like Kayak widget for gate and flight info. I like live updating info at a glance. No need to open apps.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 09-20-11 at 11:20 AM.
    09-20-11 11:12 AM
    Tinyk.... That is the kinda answer's... I've had iphone4 before this which btw would be nothing without the app store.. Android i've had Htc desire HD great but BATTERY puffffaaaa. Then had Curve 8520 because my sister gave it me to borrow as Htc had to go back.. So used that for a while until I could decide which phone to go with which I chosen Galaxy2... Great phone eg... Music, apps, camera, great looking apart from feels cheap with bendy plastic as battery door.... My needs as I am 19 years old are.. keeping in touch with friends and family while I'm at Uni/work,, MUSIC is a big 1,I like to have a good battery life on all my product and expect it to make it through day most day heavy user.. Apps wise. Twitter, Facebook, Football/soccer Results, one app I really enjoy is a app called Pulse on ios/android... Thanks guys you are helping me out

09-20-11 11:47 AM
    As a college student my needs for my cellphone are

1) Email
    2) Internet
    3) Text Messages
    4) Phone Calls
    5) Apps

So when it comes to me pretty much any phone would probably do the trick, but I'm thinking a blackberry would help. I have a Droid X currently and everything has broken on it from GPS, to emails, to voicing a text message, etc. I'm really got over the whole "customization" thing when I had to send back my phone 3 times and set it all back up. I mean Android has great potential, but I'm not seeing it with the massive failure of Gingerbread on nearly 50% of all android phones. I'm just wondering whether I will have made the right choice. I came from texting phones with the keyboard and really miss the keyboard considering I have crashed my virtual keyboard more times than I can count cause I'm a fast typer.
    09-20-11 12:28 PM
    I just moved from the HTC Sensation to the Bold 9900 and I will be able to make that comparison for you.

Improvements:
    1. Texting
    2. Email (Not really faster but the spell check and setup options are nicer)
    3. Typing
    4. Calling (the handset is very good but the speakerphone is phenomenal in comparison)
    5. Call logs (adding call notes is something I have missed)
    6. Screen (while smaller, the screen is higher density and brighter, especially outdoors)
    7. Alerts (so much more configurable that it is a big deal)
    8. Calendar
    9. Contacts
    10. Tasks (doesn't even exist on Android unless you buy something)
    11. Office documents (FULL Documents to Go included)
    12. Outlook Notes (Notes application is included and syncs)

What's Worse:
    1. Google Voice
    2. Google Talk
    3. Twitter (HTC has a really nice application that integrates the browser as well)
    4. Google Maps and Navigation (I have to use Telenav now)
    5. Bluetooth headset reception
    6. Web browser (still not as useful)
    7. Battery life (Yes, the the Android powered HTC Sensation did better than my 9900)

I get more done now that I have the Bold instead of using the Sensation. The Bold 9900 is certainly a much better business tool, right from the start, than the Sensation ever could have been. However, the Bold is less fun to use in my off-time. It is mainly a communications toolwhereas the Sensation tried to be both that and an entertainment device. It excelled at the latter and was acceptable for the former.

The only device that have used that came close to giving me what the Bold offers, even an excellent typing experience, was the HTC HD7 Windows Phone device.
    09-20-11 12:40 PM
    I went and picked up an S2 yesterday. Yes it takes getting used with Swype but there is so much to do on this S2.
    09-20-11 12:48 PM
    There are more free task options on Android than on BB, IMHO.
    09-20-11 03:11 PM
    i got both sgs2 and bold 9900. the 9900 accomplish more ( since its easier to type), but i hate reading on small screen. can't have both apparently hehe
    wish rim made bigger screens with candybar phone.
    09-20-11 05:01 PM
    i got both sgs2 and bold 9900. the 9900 accomplish more ( since its easier to type), but i hate reading on small screen. can't have both apparently hehe
    wish rim made bigger screens with candybar phone.
    See that's my dilemma too. Although I have a Torch and can't upgrade til August 2012, I'm just not sure if I want the 9900 because of the small screen. I think I spoiled myself with the Torch because of the Larger screen.

As a College Student my needs are: Email, Internet, Texting, GPS, Any Keyboard (I really like virtual keyboard because they vibrate after each type...BB does not have that, but I would like a bigger keyboard), Great Battery Life that can last me past 10 hours, and a Great Browser. I don't really need BBM because my family and friends all have Iphones and Androids. My mom has a dumbphone, lol so really BBM is not a necessity...unless people decided to add me to their BBM. I think that's about it.

If RIM comes out with a QNX phone (not saying the first one) but A QNX phone with most or all my qualifications then I'm sold.
    If there is a Smartphone Out there right now that has what I'm looking for, Point me in that direction...although I don't think Any device can out maneuver the Blackberry's Battery Life!

I have yet to check out all the other 9900 models....I'm thinking of going to Costco to play with one. I saw the Torch 9860 at Best Buy and sadly could not play with it, nor was it on but the buttons did look weird.
    Last edited by calicocat2010; 09-20-11 at 05:43 PM.
    09-20-11 05:38 PM
    There is no perfect os/phone fevery1. Alot off people are obsessed with BBM but like others are saying there is whatsapp that you can talk to Android Blackberry Iphone Nokia All the main brand which is Rather handy dandy

09-20-11 06:18 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD