I bought my 9900 from Vodafone UK and unlocked it. Out of the box it didn't have H+ option and that is supposed, since Vodafone doesn't have HSPA+ support. Anyways I updated to .353 leak and I still can't see H+ option in the settings. My network supports H+ but it is not widespread. I am asking this out of curiosity, not that I will use it. What can I do to get H+ option on my 9900?
    Thanks
    09-10-11 03:08 PM
    The Vodafone UK network does support H+ speeds, but their handsets don't show the H+ icon yet, just 3G.

This is supposedly coming in a future .4xx OS update currently being trialled. You won't get H+ to show until then.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-11 03:58 PM
    So my only option is to install Voda UK .4xx update? Another carriers update won't do?
    09-10-11 04:03 PM
    So my only option is to install Voda UK .4xx update? Another carriers update won't do?
    I could be wrong, But im pretty sure whats shown on the screen as far as H+ and 3G etc. is solely dependent on what the carrier decided to show in the OS.

So If you loaded another carriers version of the OS that had the H+ icon, you would indeed get H+. Can someone else confirm cause im only 99.9% sure.
    09-10-11 04:09 PM
    The Vodafone UK network does support H+ speeds, but their handsets don't show the H+ icon yet, just 3G.

This is supposedly coming in a future .4xx OS update currently being trialled. You won't get H+ to show until then.

If this is the case then awesome.
    09-10-11 04:39 PM
    It is not that easy
    09-10-11 04:50 PM
    I could be wrong, But im pretty sure whats shown on the screen as far as H+ and 3G etc. is solely dependent on what the carrier decided to show in the OS.

So If you loaded another carriers version of the OS that had the H+ icon, you would indeed get H+. Can someone else confirm cause im only 99.9% sure.
    That won't work unfortunately... I've already tried.

The whole 4G/H+ thing is carrier and device specific, not OS specific.

DannyJK likes this.
    09-10-11 10:53 PM
    That won't work unfortunately... I've already tried.

The whole 4G/H+ thing is carrier and device specific, not OS specific.

Ah I see, guess I was wrong... I was so sure it would work too. Thanks for the information though.
    09-10-11 11:13 PM
    My 9900s about screen shows that it only supports 3G and Wifi. My 9900 is a Voda UK handset. My carrier supports HSPA+ (no 4G).

How can I get H+ to show up there?
    12-03-11 04:11 PM
    How can I get H+ to show up there?
    You can't... it's a Vodafone device, and until they decide to show anything other than 3G, that's all it will show.
    12-03-11 04:13 PM
    You can't... it's a Vodafone device, and until they decide to show anything other than 3G, that's all it will show.
    Thanks for the quick reply!
    Eventually Vodafone will enable HSPA+ on their devices. But my question is how will my 9900 will be able to use this feature? I am on another carrier using my carrier's official OS.
    12-03-11 04:16 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply!
    Eventually Vodafone will enable HSPA+ on their devices. But my question is how will my 9900 will be able to use this feature? I am on another carrier using my carrier's official OS.
    I have no idea what you're asking

The 9900 is an HSPA+ compatible phone, and Vodafone UK is already an HSPA+ network.

If your carrier supports H+ then that's what speed you're getting, and whatever OS you're using makes no difference.

Only the North American networks use the H+/4G symbols on their 9900's... the rest of the world uses the old 3G symbol on their 9900's.

In short - you're getting H+ speeds but your phone is showing 3G, and always will do.
    12-03-11 04:30 PM

The 9900 is an HSPA+ compatible phone, and Vodafone UK is already an HSPA+ network.

If your carrier supports H+ then that's what speed you're getting, and whatever OS you're using makes no difference.

Only the North American networks use the H+/4G symbols on their 9900's... the rest of the world uses the old 3G symbol on their 9900's.

In short - you're getting H+ speeds but your phone is showing 3G, and always will do.

Oh okay, that's what I was curious about. The symbol won't change but the speed will be HSPA+. And that's what's important.
    Thanks for your help!
    12-03-11 04:33 PM

I'm in canada using a telus 9900 unlocked to fido..it show 3G

My sister uses a telus 9860 on telus it it shows H+
    12-03-11 05:59 PM

Also, the UK 3G is faster than Canada's 4G and HSPA+ on Telus and Bell.
    12-03-11 07:42 PM
    Also, the UK 3G is faster than Canada's 4G and HSPA+ on Telus and Bell.
    You keep saying that, but we don't have the old 3G anymore. All UK networks are HSPA+ the same as you guys, it's just that our 9900's display 3G instead of H+
    12-03-11 08:22 PM

Agreed, I have friends using AT&T branded unlocked phones, and with the same carrier as I am, their phone is showing H+. Mine is just plain 3G.
    12-03-11 10:13 PM

How do you know these things! Lol.
    12-04-11 01:30 AM
    Why not put 7.1 on your phone instead of am OS that is out dated? That OS your using will ruin any performance gains you will get from figuring out HSDPA+.

You know when I updated my Wife's ATT 9810 from .353 to .474 the network indicator changed from HSDPA+ to 4G. Maybe a newer OS will allow yours to go from 3G to HSDPA+.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 12-04-11 at 04:43 AM.
    12-04-11 04:39 AM
    Instead of looking at the icon run a speed test.
    You will find out that on some carriers the 3G is working faster then the H+ on the others(!)
    12-04-11 08:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD