I'm considering reviving my 9900 to use as a main phone. I'm not worried about apps, but how feasible is it to use as a phone/text/email device these days? Does the Blackberry email still work? I'm assuming that the browser won't support many webpages these days?

I' in the UK on the O2 network with Giffgaff.
    08-07-18 07:06 AM
    If O2 still supports BIS and will add new BIS accounts... for a basic phone it would "work".

If they don't support new BIS accounts, then I wouldn't bother.
    08-07-18 07:13 AM
    I understand that they do. Mainly interesed in teh mail working. Not so worried about websites.
    08-07-18 08:07 AM
    I understand that they do. Mainly interesed in teh mail working. Not so worried about websites.
    BlackBerry Mail on BBOS is part of BIS....

This was a great reference back a couple of years ago... https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...ut-bis-996682/ there are other email clients that can be used.
    08-07-18 08:33 AM
    Thanks -that's a lot of info!
    08-07-18 10:12 AM
    9930 on Verizon still my daily driver. Supremely handy size and unsurpassed typing experience. Imo. Voice is superb and speakerphone can be set to auto-on via app. SMS is excellent as is most emails. Html email unreliable, depending on how many you get and/or want to get. Lol. A "feature", imo. Lol.

Browsing has slowly gotten hit & miss. Good enough for most uses in a pinch but i typically defer to my "modern" K1 for deep browsing. Even it chokes on some sites so... go figure??

Given the 4 years since last security update, I personally do NO security critical banking, etc, on 99. Not sure I trust android much more than neglected OS7.1, at this point, so my Classic still handles most of secure stuff. Fwiw.

I'd think that if your carrier supports BIS, you'd be positioned to experience 9900. You might just be grateful for the experience! Just be aware that "Judgment Day" for BIS has been scheduled.... 1/1/20... there are some of us who intend to push it to the last key press but it won't be easy without BIS...
    Tech Idiot likes this.
    08-07-18 10:17 AM
    The size is another major factor for me. I like my current Z30, but it's very big and slowly losing ability for apps, and I'm finding more and more websites don't load on it. I've been trying out a cheap tablet to use at home, with the intention of using a litle nokia phone for calls, but it's useful to get email out and about.
    08-07-18 10:24 AM
    If you're willing to supplement browsing with a tablet/phablet, 9900 is a really nice voice/sms/mms/email companion. It's probably a little clunkier than Z30 for browsing but not completely unusable. It CAN get by in a pinch.

It's also an absolute beast for typing, spreadsheet editing, etc. The most compact of truly productive handsets, imo. You'll likely enjoy typing on it better than a Nokia, imo.
    08-07-18 11:55 AM
    If you're willing to supplement browsing with a tablet/phablet, 9900 is a really nice voice/sms/mms/email companion. It's probably a little clunkier than Z30 for browsing but not completely unusable. It CAN get by in a pinch.
    I reinstalled Opera Mini browser again onto the 9900 and Google searches are working for me again! I originally deleted it months ago because it wasn't.

Still have it on yours?

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    08-07-18 05:47 PM
    I reinstalled Opera Mini browser again onto the 9900 and Google searches are working for me again! I originally deleted it months ago because it wasn't.

Still have it on yours?

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    Yep. Opera Mini fills in nicely, still. Between it and native, I certainly don't feel inadequately equipped with solo 99.
    08-07-18 08:48 PM
    I'm considering reviving my 9900 to use as a main phone. I'm not worried about apps, but how feasible is it to use as a phone/text/email device these days? Does the Blackberry email still work? I'm assuming that the browser won't support many webpages these days?
    I' in the UK on the O2 network with Giffgaff.
    The 9900 will work just fine on giffgaff providing that you activate BlackBerry Services (BIS) on the dashboard. All the basic BlackBerry services will work including Email, BBM, browser etc. I have used my 9900 on giffgaff for several years without problems, although recently I've found the Bold's browser performance too limiting and have moved my SIM into the Q10.
    If as you suggest, all you need is phone, text & email – then you should be fine with the 9900 on giffgaff.
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 08-08-18 at 04:28 PM.
    08-08-18 12:29 AM
    Yep. Opera Mini fills in nicely, still. Between it and native, I certainly don't feel inadequately equipped with solo 99.
    I used to be happy with Opera Mini (as an alternative browser option) on my 9900, but in recent months have found that almost every other page load produces an advertisement. Perhaps others haven't experienced that, but for me Opera Mini and it's persistent loading of Ads has become an irritation that I'm no longer prepared to tolerate. Pity ... if there was a reasonable browser solution I'd probably still be using the 9900 as my primary.

I have tried the UC Browser but IMHO it's way too clunky for every day use
    08-08-18 02:51 AM
    The 9900 will work just fine on giffgaff providing that you activate BlackBerry Services (BIS) on the dashboard. All the basic BlackBerry services will work including Email, BBM, browser etc. I have used my 9900 on giffgaff for several years without problems, although recently I've found the Bold's browser performance to limiting and have moved my SIM into the Q10.
    If as you suggest, all you need is phone, text & email – then you should be fine with the 9900 on giffgaff.
    Thanks, I did make some enquiries on their forum a year or so ago, and they seemed to think it should work.

It's good to know I'm not the only 9900 user on Giffgaff.
    08-08-18 09:58 AM
    I used to be happy with Opera Mini (as an alternative browser option) on my 9900, but in recent months have found that almost every other page load produces an advertisement. Perhaps others haven't experienced that, but for me Opera Mini and it's persistent loading of Ads has become an irritation that I'm no longer prepared to tolerate. Pity ... if there was a reasonable browser solution I'd probably still be using the 9900 as my primary.

I have tried the UC Browser but IMHO it's way too clunky for every day use
    I WAS experiwncing that also and deleted it, but now it is working great
    08-11-18 12:06 AM
    Phone & text still work great. If that's all the world has, I'd be supremely happy with the 9900 for it's efficiency and size.
    I have no problem with email send/receive from various providers. The only problem is rendering of HTML emails is pretty hopeless usually.

I do still use the 9900 as my only device every few weeks but even a die-hard like me is spending more and more time on my Q10 and other BB10 devices.
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    08-11-18 10:24 PM