Hi Everyone - Short version: Used to own a Curve a few years back, went iPhone, then a few Android devices. Picked up the PlayBook a few weeks ago and made me want to come back to BB. I picked up a Torch 9850. Coming from a Droid X2, I wanted an all touch screen.

I did play quite a bit with the Bold though. On the Torch, let's say I'm typing a work like "tomorrow". As soon as I type the first few letters, it comes up with suggestions. I couldn't figure out how to do that on the Bold.

Also, the Torch will auto correct. So it I want to type "your", but type it as "yourk", it corrects it you the proper spelling.

I'm still within my return window, and I like the fact the Bold has both the touch screen and keyboard, so I may swap. I just want to know if the Bold has the auto-suggest and auto-correct features.
    10-15-11 12:15 AM
    you can go into the keyboard options and change it from corrective, predictive or direct. corrective will auto-choose the most likely work it thinks you want. predictive will start giving you options once you type and direct will do neither.
    10-15-11 12:23 AM
    you can go into the keyboard options and change it from corrective, predictive or direct. corrective will auto-choose the most likely work it thinks you want. predictive will start giving you options once you type and direct will do neither.
    Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for. I'll give it a try tomorrow when I go back to Verizon.
    10-15-11 01:01 AM
    I just want to add that most people who use BBs don't know that Word Sub is highly customizable.

You can also add new "Word Substitutions" (aka auto-corrects). For example, I added, "ur" to correct itself to "you're" and "usig" to add my email signature for University mail. When ever I send an email to a prof at the end of the message I type usig and hit space, boom! the "usig" is replaced by my Name, Faculty, Student ID, etc, etc. Then I have "esig" for other email and so on and on and on... LOL

You can add anything you like. Go to Word Substitutions in the Options OR type word on your universal search and click on the Options icon and it will be in that list.

I have so many short cuts from "u" turn in to "you" to complex email signatures.
    NickA likes this.
    10-15-11 01:12 AM
    Is the 'corrective' option exclusive to the Torch? I've never seen this one before... or have I been shrinking something out I shouldn't have for all these years?

I've only ever had the direct and predictive options in OS5, 6 and 7. Direct obviously does nothing, and predictive only suggests words but doesn't auto-correct them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-15-11 02:34 AM
    Is the 'corrective' option exclusive to the Torch? I've never seen this one before... or have I been shrinking something out I shouldn't have for all these years?

I've only ever had the direct and predictive options in OS5, 6 and 7. Direct obviously does nothing, and predictive only suggests words but doesn't auto-correct them.

i think its only for touchscreen phones like the 98xx or 95xx since they are prone mistyping more than a physical keyboard. the iphone has a whole website dedicated to corrective typing lol.

Damn You Auto Correct! Page not found
    10-15-11 03:19 AM
    i think its only for touchscreen phones like the 98xx or 95xx since they are prone mistyping more than a physical keyboard. the iphone has a whole website dedicated to corrective typing lol.

Damn You Auto Correct! Page not found
    That makes sense, thanks for the info.

I presume the corrective option is part of the SureType file that is present in OS6 and 7 builds, but doesn't get installed on devices without a virtual keyboard.

10-15-11 03:28 AM
    That makes sense, thanks for the info.

I presume the corrective option is part of the SureType file that is present in OS6 and 7 builds, but doesn't get installed on devices without a virtual keyboard.

well corrective can only be used with direct intput. if you use the reduced suretype keyboard, only predictive can be used. im not sure what cod files associate predictive/corrective with the keyboard.
    10-15-11 03:40 AM
    I just want to add that most people who use BBs don't know that Word Sub is highly customizable.

You can also add new "Word Substitutions" (aka auto-corrects). For example, I added, "ur" to correct itself to "you're" and "usig" to add my email signature for University mail. When ever I send an email to a prof at the end of the message I type usig and hit space, boom! the "usig" is replaced by my Name, Faculty, Student ID, etc, etc. Then I have "esig" for other email and so on and on and on... LOL

You can add anything you like. Go to Word Substitutions in the Options OR type word on your universal search and click on the Options icon and it will be in that list.

I have so many short cuts from "u" turn in to "you" to complex email signatures.
    Thanks for this info; I didn't know this was possible. There are certain words I always mistype, so I'll just add a substitution for them.

I did end up swapping my 9850 for the 9930 and I love it.
    10-17-11 09:03 AM
    Can u add your own words or u can only edit the ones that are there allready?
    Thanks

10-17-11 11:58 AM
    Thanks

You can add your own words. To add your own, go in to the "Word Substitution" and click BB button, on the menu click "New".

You can also specify how it should behave. For example, if you set it as smart case, you go, "ESIG", the whole signature will be in bold. I prefer non smart case where no matter what I type it will come up with what I already have typed.

I have many many custom words that my friends are surprise how fast I send them texts. For example, just now I typed, "Meet me at TFDL at 2pm." on a text, it came out as: "Meet me at Taylor Family Digital Library at 2pm". Cool and time saving.
    Last edited by mss-ca; 10-17-11 at 12:09 PM.
    10-17-11 12:06 PM
    Thanks

you can do both
    10-17-11 04:18 PM
    I have 9900 but it does not have a corrective option, only direct or predictive.
    yet I think I had all of them in the Torch 9800 before.
    10-17-11 05:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD