I havve the 9700 now, and i have apps that i would like to keep and of course contacts and others memos and files. now that i am receiving my 9900, how do i transfer the files on to my 9900 without losing the info/files and everything?

btw, should i upgrade the 9900 to 7.1 first then do a transfer?
    01-14-12 01:28 AM
    Open Desktop, select Device Transfer Wizard.

Personally I'd upgrade, but I'll let those who've experienced the OS give you their thoughts.
    01-14-12 01:45 AM
    Open DM and select device switch.
    01-14-12 03:36 AM
    Don't use the device switch wizard when going to an OS 7 device. I don't know if it is documented. Speaking from personal experience and what RIM rep told me when my problem was referred to RIM by T-Mobile customer service.

Instead, do a full backup on the old BlackBerry. Start the OS 7 BlackBerry as is, frsh out of the box. Log in with BlackBerry ID and complete the initial setup stuff. Then just restore the user data from your backup. Just the data such as messages, calendar, etc. but not settings.

Then download your apps, those that are supported on OS 7 anyway.
    Last edited by aiharkness; 01-14-12 at 08:25 AM.
    thisissun likes this.
    01-14-12 08:23 AM
    Don't use the device switch wizard when going to an OS 7 device. I don't know if it is documented. Speaking from personal experience and what RIM rep told me when my problem was referred to RIM by T-Mobile customer service.

Instead, do a full backup on the old BlackBerry. Start the OS 7 BlackBerry as is, frsh out of the box. Log in with BlackBerry ID and complete the initial setup stuff. Then just restore the user data from your backup. Just the data such as messages, calendar, etc. but not settings.

Do exactly this. I restored my settings along with messages/calendar and such. Definitely
    don't do apps.

Fulfilling my Crackberry addiction from my 9930 via Tapatalk
    01-14-12 11:24 AM
    For me I used BB protect to restore all my contact and others that bb protect can,easy and fast
    01-14-12 11:54 AM
    That's another way. If you have been using Protect that is what I would do.
    01-14-12 12:03 PM

should i update to the 7.1 after the initial setup stuff and then do the restore?
    01-14-12 03:01 PM
    should i update to the 7.1 after the initial setup stuff and then do the restore?

Yes... Update to 7.1 first and then restore.

Fulfilling my Crackberry addiction from my 9930 via Tapatalk
    thisissun likes this.
    01-14-12 05:19 PM

Are there known problems using the device switch wizard when upgrading to an OS7 device? The reason I ask is because I had problems when transferring from my 9780 to my 9900 tonight. First off the wizard kept giving me an error loading App World onto the new device. I was able to get past that by deleting App World from my 9780.

At this point I thought all was great, but not the case. It brought over all my BES emails (in folders as well) and contacts, but that's about it. It didn't bring over my BBM list, speed dials, profile settings, bookmarks, or any device settings. I've used the device switch wizard many times over the years, and this is the first time this has ever happened.
    01-15-12 12:22 AM
    This came at the perfect time as I am getting my 9900 tomorrow.
    01-15-12 11:27 PM
    Interesting I went from 9780 - 9900 last week (on a mac), I used the device switch wizard in DM and it worked like a charm. A couple of apps never made it across but I expected that but everthing else was seamless.

Maybe I got lucky?
    01-16-12 10:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD