I was reading this article on Blackberry Battery Tips:
    Extending BlackBerry 6 and BlackBerry 7 battery life �Inside BlackBerry Help Blog

And the part where it says:

If you don�t already have one, I strongly recommend purchasing a holster or pocket for your BlackBerry smartphone, as it�s a really easy way to save battery life. When you place a BlackBerry smartphone in a holster or pocket, the screen will automatically shut off if desired.

I recently got a new skin and a larger holster (so that the phone would fit inside it even with the skin on). So it's not the holster that came with the phone. I have noticed that everytime I put it in, the light is still on for a few seconds. Does this mean the phone isn't asleep when in the holster and is there a setting that I can change it so that it recognizes when it is in the holster? Is this just because it isn't the BB official holster that came with the phone? Right now, I see the same few seconds of being on before the screen goes dark that I do normally when the phone is just sitting idle on my desk.

Thanks.
    10-28-11 02:16 PM
    Does the holster have a magnet? Where is the magnet located?
    10-28-11 02:26 PM
    You would need an OEM holster to put into sleep mode. An aftermarket holster will not work well.
    10-28-11 02:34 PM
    Download this app it works 100% and free Slide2Open as soon as the screen is off it will lock it to avoid accidental use and it has an icon u can tap to slide lock the phone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-11 02:57 PM
    A magnet just to close the flap... there is one there...

Don't need to lock the phone, just want it to automatically go in sleep mode as soon as it goes into holster...
    10-28-11 03:40 PM
    your phone has a sensor that locks the screen and keyboard when placed in a compatible holster/case with the sleeper magnet. Any bb OEM case will definitely have the magnets and many aftermarket vendors are building in the magnet for the sleeper function. For your holster, I would suggest checking their website to see if it says anything about the magnets.

and yes, its not sleeping if you can still see the screen on for a few seconds.
    10-28-11 03:47 PM
    Here are pics

Last edited by Murtz316; 10-28-11 at 03:52 PM.
    10-28-11 03:49 PM
    that should have the magnets. Is that holster for your device? If not, the magnets would probably not be in the right place.
    10-28-11 03:51 PM
    Not sure, it might be bigger to allow for the skin to fit inside it? The skin wouldn't fit inside the one that came with the phone
    10-28-11 03:53 PM
    you should hear it snore =P.... jkjk

sorry but the 9700 series holster wont work with your 9900 i have that holster and ive tried. All you need to do is put the phone in and peel the front of the holster open a bit to see if the screen is still on if it is then it doesnt work and it shouldnt cus ive tried.
    10-28-11 03:58 PM
    That's what I think too ignites

Any suggestions? Is it worth getting a new one that will put it to sleep? I like this holster with the skin combo much better

And you're right because the screen is still on. That's totally the issue I am having.
    10-28-11 04:03 PM
    I have the Bold 9930 and OEM magnetic holster that came with it. I put the phone in my holster top down with the screen to the inside of the holster so that when I pull it out of the holster it is oriented in my hand to take a call. Less chance of dropping it if I don;t have to spin it around before answering. Have always wondered if this orientation affects the sleep function and this thread seems like a good place to ask.
    Thanks!
    GuardianAngel3 likes this.
    10-28-11 04:10 PM
    I think that's the way you are supposed to put it in.
    10-28-11 04:20 PM
    Find some metal objects (keys, screwdriver) and find the magnet in the OEM case. See if it's in the same spot as the holster you want to use.
    10-28-11 04:22 PM
    Sounds good, will do that and report back as to the findings. Where is the magnet typically located. Is it the one that is used to close the "flap" at the front or is there another one in the back of the holster? It does appear that the case I am using and have pictured above is the 9700 one.
    10-28-11 04:27 PM
    I have the Bold 9930 and OEM magnetic holster that came with it. I put the phone in my holster top down with the screen to the inside of the holster so that when I pull it out of the holster it is oriented in my hand to take a call. Less chance of dropping it if I don;t have to spin it around before answering. Have always wondered if this orientation affects the sleep function and this thread seems like a good place to ask.
    Thanks!
    Missed this the first time. There's your problem.
    10-28-11 04:28 PM
    Sounds good, will do that and report back as to the findings. Where is the magnet typically located. Is it the one that is used to close the "flap" at the front or is there another one in the back of the holster? It does appear that the case I am using and have pictured above is the 9700 one.
    Depends on the holster. Most OEM cases have it in the flap or where the flap closes. Otterbox Defender holster typically puts it slightly below the screen; on my 9930 it's positioned over the back button.
    10-28-11 04:36 PM
    Someone said in another thread that there are two magnet locations in the 9930. I think there's one at the bottom near the mic.
    10-28-11 05:37 PM
    You could go to options, to security, to password and enable the password after 2 minutes. Set it to lock when holstered. Then put your phone in your case, wait a couple of seconds, take it out and if it is password locked, then it works and your phone goes to sleep when put in the holster.
    10-28-11 06:46 PM
    The same way you knw the light is off in your refridgerator....
    10-28-11 09:54 PM
    The same way you knw the light is off in your refridgerator....
    The light goes out in the fridge....REALLY..

Never knew. J/K
    10-28-11 10:11 PM
    Download this app it works 100% and free Slide2Open as soon as the screen is off it will lock it to avoid accidental use and it has an icon u can tap to slide lock the phone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You do know that it is ALWAYS running in background eating battery right? Easier way is just to hit the screen lock button on the top of the device, which doesn't use any processor or memory. It's cool, but screen lock or password lock works better and costs nothing in terms of battery!
    10-28-11 10:27 PM
    Someone said in another thread that there are two magnet locations in the 9930. I think there's one at the bottom near the mic.
    Back and front magnet are in the same location on each side of the case - so you can put the phone in facing in or out, apparently...
    10-28-11 10:33 PM
    I talked to Telus and their advice was to keep the holster I like (which is the 9700 one that allows me to keep the skin I want) and that it doesn't conserve enough battery to warrant me switching to holster I don't prefer simply for the magnet sleep mechanism. Do you guys agree?
    10-29-11 01:29 AM
    I talked to Telus and their advice was to keep the holster I like (which is the 9700 one that allows me to keep the skin I want) and that it doesn't conserve enough battery to warrant me switching to holster I don't prefer simply for the magnet sleep mechanism. Do you guys agree?
    Depends on how often you keep it in the holster - if you're using it a lot then it's not going to be a huge savings. You'd get the same effect simply by hitting the lock button to shut the screen off whenever you aren't using your phone.
    10-29-11 01:44 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD