The first question when a new OS is released is how is the battery life. Although I have never understood how can a OS affect the battery life? I always thought it was the applications installed and the refresh rate to which they check for new feeds which affects the battery.

Seriously, can someone explain how can an OS magically improve a battery?
    08-17-11 01:14 PM
    Not magical at all, coding gets improved, bug fixes to how it handles memory so the device is not processing for nothing. signal code improvements as networks increase. etc. Nothing is bullet proof in real world, therefore enhancements are always made. And so you're clear, not "every" OS upgrade makes changes to how code is handled for battery unless there is a serious issue addressed.

Windows 7 on my old Laptop increased it's battery life a ton for example
    08-17-11 01:18 PM
    It CAN have some effect on battery consumption but after owning many RIM devices, I have NEVER seen a new OS make a big difference in battery use.

Yet people will claim they can go "weeks without charging"! LOL!

Sure it can make a difference but these new updates are only tiny tweeks on the original and have a very small, if any, real effect.

Beware of wild exaggeration by some of the users in this forum.
    08-17-11 01:24 PM
    the software handles the power management.. not magical at all.
    08-17-11 01:25 PM
    It CAN have some effect on battery consumption but after owning many RIM devices, I have NEVER seen a new OS make a big difference in battery use.

Yet people will claim they can go "weeks without charging"! LOL!

Sure it can make a difference but these new updates are only tiny tweeks on the original and have a very small, if any, real effect.

Beware of wild exaggeration by some of the users in this forum.
    And I thought I was the only one not seeing any huge difference.

I hope this is not true for the 9900 though as the battery life sure could use some better management now

But you also must admit, the device is so addictive I have been playing with it for 2 hours straight , installing apps, rebooting, voice notes via BBM, browsing, and the discharge rate went all the way up to 15% I am not judging now offcourse I know it needs 3 or 4 days to settle in

This is my new addiction
    08-18-11 12:12 PM
    You will find in time you will play a little less and the battery will last a little longer. Just beware of any installed software that is constantly polling the server for information like any of the social things like Face book, Twitter and also weather software that updates too often.

Blackberry was the original battery miser as it did not have to poll your email account to see if there was something there. The push system saves a LOT of power as you phone just sit there till a message is pushed to it, no constant requesting.

But today everyone wants more so more take more power!
    08-18-11 12:16 PM
    You will find in time you will play a little less and the battery will last a little longer. Just beware of any installed software that is constantly polling the server for information like any of the social things like Face book, Twitter and also weather software that updates too often.

Blackberry was the original battery miser as it did not have to poll your email account to see if there was something there. The push system saves a LOT of power as you phone just sit there till a message is pushed to it, no constant requesting.

But today everyone wants more so more take more power!
    I set BerryWeather to auto refresh every 6 hours

Berry Reader auto refresh for new feeds every 6 hours

Wallpaper changer to change wallpaper every 30 mins

Facebook notifications = OFF (I refresh manually)

Do you think these settings are ok or over kill?

What do you recommend?
    08-18-11 12:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD