I stand corrected but just makes it on par with a blackberry and its shortcuts.
    I have been using my cousin's Atrix in the interim after I sold my Torch for a 9900 , from my 1 month experience with various clients like K-9, Moto Blur solution and Gmail the email experience on Android is crap, period. No amount of menus/widgets on the phone can make the email and communications as seamless as a Blackberry and also the notifications suck when compared to a Blackberry. Messaging on android is all over the place with no unified way and has redundancy with various overlapping apps providing the same service. On top of that although email on Android is Push based but it comes in when ever it wants to.

To all the posters saying active sync and BIS preform same are mistaken, BIS/BES is a true push service meaning it is event based, a BES agent runs on the exchange/domino server and alerts the BES server whenever something changes on user's inbox whereas Active sync is a also server side component polling the exchange server constantly as opposed event based like BES/BIS. So the push on Activesync will see some delay.

The simplicity of universal inbox(in btw RIM holds a patent on this and license to others) bringing all Facebook, Twitter, BBM, Email and SMS communications under one umbrella right out of the box is something that makes a Blackberry more organized and unified. Also BlackBerry offers the best social connectivity on Facebook and Twitter, you need not have the those app's up and running to receive updates/notifications.
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    08-14-11 08:00 PM
    I have been using my cousin's Atrix in the interim after I sold my Torch for a 9900 , from my 1 month experience with various clients like K-9, Moto Blur solution and Gmail the email experience on Android is crap, period. No amount of menus/widgets on the phone can make the email and communications as seamless as a Blackberry and also the notifications suck when compared to a Blackberry. Messaging on android is all over the place with no unified way and has redundancy with various overlapping apps providing the same service. On top of that although email on Android is Push based but it comes in when ever it wants to.

To all the posters saying active sync and BIS preform same are mistaken, BIS/BES is a true push service meaning it is event based, a BES agent runs on the exchange/domino server and alerts the BES server whenever something changes on user's inbox whereas Active sync is a also server side component polling the exchange server constantly as opposed event based like BES/BIS. So the push on Activesync will see some delay.

The simplicity of universal inbox(in btw RIM holds a patent on this and license to others) bringing all Facebook, Twitter, BBM, Email and SMS communications under one umbrella right out of the box is something that makes a Blackberry more organized and unified. Also BlackBerry offers the best social connectivity on Facebook and Twitter, you need not have the those app's up and running to receive updates/notifications.
    One underrated feature in os6 is the social feeds, it can update your status to all social networks and IMs in one move and show all your friends statuses as well, again, from all. Any other platform have that?
    08-14-11 08:06 PM
    And don't forget moving them to a new device only requires pressing the send service books and verifying the passwords. In less then 2 minutes you're good to go.
    If BIS is not down...

I could compare that to Gmail set-up on Android... IMAP set up and access to all emails, contacts, Blogger, Music and Calendar, with the entry of one email and apassword.
    08-14-11 08:09 PM

Your experience (expressed by a series of absolutes) differs from my experience. Then again, if i was forced to use Motoblur to begin, I would have returned to BB.
    08-14-11 08:12 PM
    If BIS is not down...

I could compare that to Gmail set-up on Android... IMAP set up and access to all emails, contacts, Blogger, Music and Calendar, with the entry of one email and apassword.
    What about Yahoo, Hotmail, work email or any other email account, no matter how obscure the provider is?

And in case you didn't know Gmail for BB does sync contacts and calendars, and it gives you access to older emails and folders.
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 08-14-11 at 08:18 PM.
    08-14-11 08:15 PM
    ActiveSync v BES

The last post of the above link gives a good overview of BES vs. Activesync.
    Problem is BES is expensive. EAS is often free.
    08-14-11 08:23 PM
    What about Yahoo, Hotmail, work email or any other email account, no matter how obscure the provider is?

And in case you didn't know Gmail for BB does sync contacts and calendars, and it gives you access to older emails and folders.
    Unfortunately the contacts sync does not work well.
    08-14-11 08:26 PM
    Unfortunately the contacts sync does not work well.
    Sorry, works perfect for me, I'm in a habit of wiping my BBs and starting fresh every few months or when I install a new OS and I never had any problems. Calendars as well.
    08-14-11 08:31 PM

I know that (re: syncs calendar and contacts). I was comparing both scenarios.

I truly do not know how other emails act on Android. My wife seems to do fine with Hotmail.

My overlying point is this: I am not here to necessarily say one OS handles it better; I do prefer how Android handles mine.

I don't think that is something the most fanatical folks here can wrap their heads around... the fact that people of sound mind and clear judgment would not select (gasp!) a BlackBerry for email management.

RIM is still a messaging powerhouse, but the competition is doing some good things, and pilfering ideas. Android's pitch is easy... with more users adopting Google Apps for Business and Android devices, why not marry the two? Makes sense.

I spent an inordinate amount of time, as noted, trying to create email on my Android in the image I wanted it to be in: the BB image. And then I figured simple works better for me (which, is where iOS excels, IMHO).

Most users nowadays may not care for intricate email shortcuts. For those of us that do, BB exists... along with other options.
    08-14-11 08:33 PM
    Sorry, works perfect for me, I'm in a habit of wiping my BBs and starting fresh every few months or when I install a new OS and I never had any problems. Calendars as well.
    Perhaps you don't put actual street addresses in your contacts. I do and the BIS sync mangles them.
    08-14-11 08:37 PM
    Syncing more then one calender two ways from a Google account /w Google sync app is a pain, usually ends up having all other calenders doubled/tripled/etc in your main calender. For me this is at a point where I think about making a complete switch to Android (or WP7, waiting for the new Mango devices, especially Nokia's N9 WP7-brother) for my private use. For business, nothing else then a Blackberry IF your company supports it.
    There is no need for the google sync app any more, gmail bis setup can handle this now.
    08-14-11 08:41 PM
    Problem is BES is expensive. EAS is often free.
    BES is free for a year now. BES express...and does what most BES users need.
    southlander likes this.
    08-14-11 08:46 PM
    OMG!!! That timeclock & reboot time gets on my last *&$%# nerves!!!!
    08-14-11 10:21 PM
    OP is right. Abandon BlackBerry now! Give all your money to Google! All hail Google!
    08-14-11 11:27 PM
    The biggest reason why I think the BB is by far way better at messaging than any other phone out there(and I've had a lot of phones) is when you use the BB with a BB holster and you receive a ton of messages, emails, etc., you do not have to swipe phone to open it. I get a lot of messages during my busy day and when my BB vibrates/rings/beeps in my holster, I take it out and my message(or whatever alert) is on my screen. I basically read it, reply and put it back in my holster, no buttons pushed, swipes, unlocks, etc, nothing. For me and my experience, this is priceless to me as it makes my day go smooth and I am not waisting time playing with my phone, as they say in the business world, time is money and this BB saves me a ton of time with all my alerts throughout my day. I have wandered to all other OS's but I keep going back to BB for this one big reason for me, and this is why I think BB is the best at messaging, period.
    08-14-11 11:47 PM
    Not to offend anyone, and this is just my opinion, but I think the "time is money" argument is pretty lame. The BB does save some time but also sacrifices some time. When I wanted to book a hotel the other day, the browser was so slow, I just called the hotel directly. The phone, as noted previously, does spin and has to reboot at times (last week I had to reboot mine when I was in a meeting and everyone had to wait for the phone to get info). Having the ability to be able to hook up a keyboard to the iPhone will allow me to type even faster (although I am pretty fast with both touchscreen and BB keyboard). Having HDMI and VGA out will also save time by not having to fire up a laptop to give presentations, etc. The camera on the iPhone is much faster than the BB. You can argue each side of the fence for the "time saver".

On top of this I have to laugh at all the people who say their time is so valuable but then those same people end up writing a ton on their Facebook page, Crackberry posts, Twitter accounts, etc. The really busy people don't have time to be on Crackberry.
    Last edited by Caymancroc; 08-15-11 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Typo
    08-15-11 02:26 AM
    Not to offend anyone, and this is just my opinion, but I think the "time is money" argument is pretty lame. The BB does save some time but also sacrifices some time. When I wanted to book a hotel the other day, the browser was so slow, I just called the hotel directly. The phone, as noted previously, does spin and has to reboot at times (last week I had to reboot mine when I was in a meeting and everyone had to wait for the phone to get info). Having the ability to be able to hook up a keyboard to the iPhone will allow me to type even faster (although I am pretty fast with both touchscreen and BB keyboard). Having HDMI and VGA out will also save time by not having to fire up a laptop to give presentations, etc. The camera on the iPhone is much faster than the BB. You can argue each side of the fence for the "time saver".

On top of this I have to laugh at all the people who say their time is so valuable but then those same people end up writing a ton on their Facebook page, Crackberry posts, Twitter accounts, etc. The really busy people don't have time to be on Crackberry.
    This is a thread for the OS7 9900, unless you haven't noticed, the browser is now on par with iphone and android, maybe a second slower
    Also this new 9900 has and improved, larger keyboard and also touchscreen.
    Bluetooth keyboards can be added to any smartphone but it implies you're sitting down at a desk.
    Time is valuable but we spend it the way we want to.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-11 02:39 AM
    Trying to sync google calendars and contacts on my 9780 has always been a PITA. The Google Sync app was only one-way (just tried it last month), and the BIS google sync didn't put my existing calendar events into my google calendar as well as not being able to view multiple calendars from one gmail address. Wasted so much time on this BS that the seconds I save from using keyboard shortcuts on the BB are pointless.
    08-15-11 03:50 AM
    AUTO TEXT !!!!!

No Autotext on apple ios(without jailbreak), android or WP7

If you send out a lot of emails daily it cuts typing time down like crazy
    08-15-11 04:14 AM
    Trying to sync google calendars and contacts on my 9780 has always been a PITA. The Google Sync app was only one-way (just tried it last month), and the BIS google sync didn't put my existing calendar events into my google calendar as well as not being able to view multiple calendars from one gmail address. Wasted so much time on this BS that the seconds I save from using keyboard shortcuts on the BB are pointless.
    Start with a clean phone and you'll not have a problem. The calendars that didn't get synced were probably saved under a different calendar, every email account gets one. Also you can always use the duplicate removing feature in gmail to clean your contacts, the changes will sync to your BB, and make sure you set gmail as default for contact list and calendar.

08-15-11 04:52 AM
    Start with a clean phone and you'll not have a problem. The calendars that didn't get synced were probably saved under a different calendar, every email account gets one. Also you can always use the duplicate removing feature in gmail to clean your contacts, the changes will sync to your BB, and make sure you set gmail as default for contact list and calendar.

I avoid syncing contacts with any service on my BB because of previous bad experiences. I only update my contacts on my BB, back them up on DM and leave it as it is.

As for calendars, when I get sync to work the feature set available to BB handsets are just dismal. Just like you said that each e-mail account gets one calendar and this is a major PITA. I have one gmail account and multiple calendars on it (I have a few categories myself, and I share calendars with others at the same time). Syncing them to my BB makes them appear all under 1 single color, whether I use BIS sync or the Google Sync app. The problem has been around since 2009 and it is STILL here in 2011. The work around is simply this: create multiple gmail accounts for each calendar you have. In 2011? No freaking way RIM! That's how antiquated BBOS is. In this regard, Google Sync app is slightly better because I have a choice to do a manual sync. If I add an event on gCal and expect BIS sync to do it for me, I've to wait from 10mins up to 30mins for it to be pushed to my BB calendar. Is it a big deal? Yes, especially when you're changing details and what not.

And that's without taking Outlook sync into consideration and trying to do a 3-way sync. Freaking nightmare on the BB, and I swallowed the "BB is a workhorse" saying hook, line and sinker. Right now if I want to view my calendar with color-coding (ONLY in Week/Day/Agenda view, none in Month view which is again, another issue which RIM has failed to address) I still have to create multiple e-mail accounts for different colors. My workaround is using a physical planner and using color pencils/highlighting pens for color coding.

I wish BB can do all these because I like the keyboard and battery life, but organizing my calendar, and consequently my life, is just crappy on this platform.
    08-15-11 05:23 AM
    I avoid syncing contacts with any service on my BB because of previous bad experiences. I only update my contacts on my BB, back them up on DM and leave it as it is.

As for calendars, when I get sync to work the feature set available to BB handsets are just dismal. Just like you said that each e-mail account gets one calendar and this is a major PITA. I have one gmail account and multiple calendars on it (I have a few categories myself, and I share calendars with others at the same time). Syncing them to my BB makes them appear all under 1 single color, whether I use BIS sync or the Google Sync app. The problem has been around since 2009 and it is STILL here in 2011. The work around is simply this: create multiple gmail accounts for each calendar you have. In 2011? No freaking way RIM! That's how antiquated BBOS is. In this regard, Google Sync app is slightly better because I have a choice to do a manual sync. If I add an event on gCal and expect BIS sync to do it for me, I've to wait from 10mins up to 30mins for it to be pushed to my BB calendar. Is it a big deal? Yes, especially when you're changing details and what not.

And that's without taking Outlook sync into consideration and trying to do a 3-way sync. Freaking nightmare on the BB, and I swallowed the "BB is a workhorse" saying hook, line and sinker. Right now if I want to view my calendar with color-coding (ONLY in Week/Day/Agenda view, none in Month view which is again, another issue which RIM has failed to address) I still have to create multiple e-mail accounts for different colors. My workaround is using a physical planner and using color pencils/highlighting pens for color coding.

I wish BB can do all these because I like the keyboard and battery life, but organizing my calendar, and consequently my life, is just crappy on this platform.
    Wow, sounds like you're really complicating things, if I were you I would just sync with outlook, which by the way, you can do it over bluetooth with the DM, don't need the usb cable.

08-15-11 05:44 AM
    AUTO TEXT !!!!!

No Autotext on apple ios(without jailbreak), android or WP7

If you send out a lot of emails daily it cuts typing time down like crazy
    SwiftKey X keyboard on Android. It scans your Twitter, gmail, Facebook posts, and text messages and learns what words you type together. The prediction box above the keyboard then gives you the three best options depending on the last word and the speech patterns of the language you're using. That means sometimes I type whole sentences by typing just one or two keys and the space bar multiple times. It's really quite brilliant.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    08-15-11 05:57 AM
    SwiftKey X keyboard on Android. It scans your Twitter, gmail, Facebook posts, and text messages and learns what words you type together. The prediction box above the keyboard then gives you the three best options depending on the last word and the speech patterns of the language you're using. That means sometimes I type whole sentences by typing just one or two keys and the space bar multiple times. It's really quite brilliant.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    Just adding to this...

SwiftKey X only scans your email, Twitter, Facebook, etc if YOU select that option in the settings.

IMO, SwiftKey X and SwiftKey Tablet X rock!
    08-15-11 06:35 AM
    "However, the iPhone OS still suffers from a major security vulnerability, which is
    called jailbreaking. Jailbreaking allows the user to modify iPhone�s 9ile system. The software lets the user unlock the phone and download any applications they desire. This allows the user to bypass Apple�s security and management systems, rendering the phone susceptible to security threats such as malware and hackers. In addition, the platform still lacks critical security features such as on device data encryption and over the air 9irmware updates. As a result, the iPhone security solution fails at the 9irst line of defense, which is device level security. Vulnerabilities, such as using the emergency call feature to gain access to the home deck, are still being discovered. It also relies on thirdparty vendors to supply security at other levels such as VPNs.

Overall enterprises should proceed with caution and limit the use of iPhones, especially for sensitive data."
    And when you Jailbreak the phone the FIRST thing you should do as all devs recommend is change the root password. So it becomes more secure than a stock phone. OTA updates are here in iOS5 so your argument about security is a moot point as RIM has released it's info on it's own Security Flaws. So no one is king of security anymore. iOS and Android OS have caught up quickly and have in some cases passed RIM. QNZ may be their saviour but that will be determined when they release a phone with it. Our enterprise has no issues with iPhones at work.......and we are regulated by the gov't.
    08-15-11 07:19 AM
209 ... 6789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD