Exactly.

This is what I finally got to after finding a unified email box app. I set up K9 to mimic my BB experience... and then, it occurred to me: why do I need all of these in one place? Widgets are infinitely more convenient for me; I can configure everything to come in where I want them to, and how I want them to.

Since I manage multiple networking sites, it really does me no good to feed them into my personal box.
    You can't posibly have a widget for everything at the same time on the screen, and you hit the nail in the head with your coment above, you can download apps to "replicate" what a blackberry does out of the box.

And if I'm not mistaken if you use K9 you lose your push email don't you? Could be wrong.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-11 11:30 AM
    You can't posibly have a widget for everything at the same time on the screen, and you hit the nail in the head with your coment above, you can download apps to "replicate" what a blackberry does out of the box.

And if I'm not mistaken if you use K9 you lose your push email don't you? Could be wrong.

Yes I can (for the things you mention). I can resize widgets.

Plus, there is software that can pull all of these things to one place (Executive Assistant and Omniscience off the top my head).

And when is being able to replicate something a bad thing? I smile when I see BB users smirk "they stole BBM/notification led/whatever from us." They are taking stuff from a platfrom we love, and adding to their stuff. Why isn't RIM doing the same?

K9 does support IDLE IMAP. IIRC, I had it poll.
    08-14-11 11:41 AM
    One thing aabout emailing in my blackberry is the lack of IMAP
    IOS does this pretty well

At the cost of battery life. There are trade-offs for everything.
    08-14-11 11:45 AM
    I just press long on any gmail on my streak to see all the options..reply or whatever. Faster than clicking menu and trackpad on my torch.
    And I can download all my gmails, open any attachment no matters how big. Got into trouble few times with bb's truncated emails. I dont see any real advantage on bb's native email handling.
    And bbos6 is comparable to symbian...archaic. Android froyo and gb is not comparable to bbos..way better interface
    Also another good feature. I long press and get options. I can change labels, add a star (flag) and more.

Yet another way to do messaging easily.
    08-14-11 11:46 AM
    At the cost of battery life. There are trade-offs for everything.
    Fair point.

Trade-offs do exist, IMHO. But it does seem that more people are willing to accept them.
    08-14-11 11:48 AM
    I just press long on any gmail on my streak to see all the options..reply or whatever. Faster than clicking menu and trackpad on my torch.
    And I can download all my gmails, open any attachment no matters how big. Got into trouble few times with bb's truncated emails. I dont see any real advantage on bb's native email handling.
    And bbos6 is comparable to symbian...archaic. Android froyo and gb is not comparable to bbos..way better interface
    I think you haven't discovered the shortcuts in the BB keyboard, you certainly don't have to press menu, just press R-reply, L-reply all, F-forward, W-flag for follow-up etc, and you also somehow missed that the OS6 devices can do the long press too, especially useful to a touch screen.

OS7 gets rid of truncation.
    08-14-11 11:53 AM
    Fair point.

Trade-offs do exist, IMHO. But it does seem that more people are willing to accept them.
    More and more yes. As long as there is a market I could not care less how many others are choosing the same device platform as me. I am not really that susceptible to peer pressure in the way most others seem to be.
    08-14-11 11:53 AM
    Also another good feature. I long press and get options. I can change labels, add a star (flag) and more.

Yet another way to do messaging easily.
    Is the star/flag feature available to all email accounts or just Gmail? On the BB is universal for all and you just press W to accomplish it and W again to mark it as done. Also can you set a reminder alarm for it?
    08-14-11 11:56 AM
    More and more yes. As long as there is a market I could not care less how many others are choosing the same device platform as me. I am not really that susceptible to peer pressure in the way most others seem to be.
    And there is the conceit I talk about. Not everyone using an Android or iOS device is susceptible to peer pressure. not even most, I daresay. believe it or not, some want the same thing as you, and just a prefer a different way of doing it.

Is the star/flag feature available to all email accounts or just Gmail? On the BB is universal for all and you just press W to accomplish it and W again to mark it as done. Also can you set a reminder alarm for it?
    I honestly don't know. I qualify all my statements that all my email accounts are currently through Google/Google apps. With K9, you can flag too.

Reminders? I use my calendar, which allows me to "link" to a contact, or I email the message to the task client. Usually, I could have replied in the seconds it takes me to do that.

I will also admit: I never, used a lot of those features on my BB, and I suspect not many others do, either. I could be wrong.
    08-14-11 12:04 PM
    Not everyone using an Android or iOS device is susceptible to peer pressure. not even most, I daresay. believe it or not, some want the same thing as you, and just a prefer a different way of doing it.
    Yes well my experience runs contrary to your opinion. Sorry.
    08-14-11 12:14 PM
    And there is the conceit I talk about. Not everyone using an Android or iOS device is susceptible to peer pressure. not even most, I daresay. believe it or not, some want the same thing as you, and just a prefer a different way of doing it.

I honestly don't know. I qualify all my statements that all my email accounts are currently through Google/Google apps. With K9, you can flag too.

Reminders? I use my calendar, which allows me to "link" to a contact, or I email the message to the task client. Usually, I could have replied in the seconds it takes me to do that.

I will also admit: I never, used a lot of those features on my BB, and I suspect not many others do, either. I could be wrong.

In a BB you can set the Flag properties and the flag itself can have a reminder due date and time. You can also change the appearance colour and the status, completed or not completed. This for all email accounts.

In messages folder you can press alt+F to filter all flagged emails.
    08-14-11 12:19 PM
    By the way, I should say that while I did not know about the reminder feature (and am rightfully shamed ), I readily concede that it is a nifty feature to have. Where do the email reminders reside? Do you get notified when they are due?
    08-14-11 12:20 PM
    By the way, I should say that while I did not know about the reminder feature (and am rightfully shamed ), I readily concede that it is a nifty feature to have. Where do the email reminders reside? Do you get notified when they are due?
    Read above
    08-14-11 12:24 PM
    I have a bb and a 'bolt. I must say that when I'm at a red light, or any situation where I have only a few seconds, I always grab my bberry to initiate or respond to emails, texts etc. There is NO WAY I can do that with the t'bolt. I have had so many challenges with friends who have droids or iphones. NO ONE can send as many emails/texts with their touch KB's as I can with the bb.

So much more to write about the comparisons but most of it has been regurgitated so many times here.
    08-14-11 01:24 PM
    Well well, what do you know, Flag feature is fully explained on the front page.

08-14-11 03:07 PM
    I have a bb and a 'bolt. I must say that when I'm at a red light, or any situation where I have only a few seconds, I always grab my bberry to initiate or respond to emails, texts etc. There is NO WAY I can do that with the t'bolt. I have had so many challenges with friends who have droids or iphones. NO ONE can send as many emails/texts with their touch KB's as I can with the bb.

So much more to write about the comparisons but most of it has been regurgitated so many times here.
    In those situations i just use my voice, which results in near perfect dictation.

Yes, Verizon 4G is really that fast!
    mrmoe110 and Mr Bigs like this.
    08-14-11 03:23 PM
    I agree with you, BB notification system is 2nd to none. FYI you're able to get push email on your iphone using a gmail acct ( not sure about yahoo). Everyone copies from each other, so you get no points for that. There are a lot of features i wish rim would copy from ios/android/winmo7. BB messenger was a big sell point. Consumers want more than push email & bb messenger. While using other platforms i learned that i can download larger email attachments( pdf files...etc..) download full albums, free turn by turn navigation, download better quality apps, and a host of other things, that i can only dream of doing on my bb. I admit the 9900 looks attractive, but it's not enough to make me switch back over. Hopefully the qnx devices rock....
    Granted that Android appears to be on top. But for some strange reason it's not. Android is 2nd to Apple. And since Apple has the market on everything they seem to slap the logo on, I will concede that. However BB is a damned good product. I have been with iOS and Android for a while. For me it's time to go back. QNX doesn't really excite me yet. I will wait about a year or so before I give it a chance.
    08-14-11 04:43 PM
    I think you haven't discovered the shortcuts in the BB keyboard, you certainly don't have to press menu, just press R-reply, L-reply all, F-forward, W-flag for follow-up etc, and you also somehow missed that the OS6 devices can do the long press too, especially useful to a touch screen.

OS7 gets rid of truncation.
    In the Sense UI Email app you don't even have to hit menu. At the bottom of the opened email screen there are soft-buttons for Reply, Reply All, Forward, Add to folder, and Delete. The Flag button is right next to the subject line at the top. In the Gmail app there's an action bar that stays at the top of the screen no matter how far down you scroll, whether you're in portrait or landscape orientation. It has options to Star (Flag), Reply, Reply all, and Forward. You can do all of those right from the screen, without hitting menu one time.
    08-14-11 07:20 PM
    Good point. You don't even have to open the email to use all those options. That's the beauty of Android, so many options.
    08-14-11 07:28 PM
    In the Sense UI Email app you don't even have to hit menu. At the bottom of the opened email screen there are soft-buttons for Reply, Reply All, Forward, Add to folder, and Delete. The Flag button is right next to the subject line at the top. In the Gmail app there's an action bar that stays at the top of the screen no matter how far down you scroll, whether you're in portrait or landscape orientation. It has options to Star (Flag), Reply, Reply all, and Forward. You can do all of those right from the screen, without hitting menu one time.
    I stand corrected but just makes it on par with a blackberry and its shortcuts.
    08-14-11 07:34 PM
    Good point. You don't even have to open the email to use all those options. That's the beauty of Android, so many options.
    You don't have to open the email on the blackberry either, never did, you had the shortcuts, and with OS6 you have the long press for pop up options too.
    08-14-11 07:36 PM
    I did a comparison between an iphone a storm2 and a htc desire hd for setting up email accounts on the devices, the email account was a corporate one so no hotmail/gmail ect. The desire even with all the settings put in correctly just wouldn't let it be set up, the iPhone took almost half an hour to configure with the settings since the email account wasn't by any means a standard configuration and the storm just asked for the login and password and it was set up in less then 30 seconds it didn't ask for all the actual settings, it just figured them out for its self.

So yes blackberry's may not be the clear winner when it comes to email anymore but for me the little things are what counts and i mean being able to set up email fast it just a very nice feature.
    08-14-11 07:39 PM
    I did a comparison between an iphone a storm2 and a htc desire hd for setting up email accounts on the devices, the email account was a corporate one so no hotmail/gmail ect. The desire even with all the settings put in correctly just wouldn't let it be set up, the iPhone took almost half an hour to configure with the settings since the email account wasn't by any means a standard configuration and the storm just asked for the login and password and it was set up in less then 30 seconds it didn't ask for all the actual settings, it just figured them out for its self.

So yes blackberry's may not be the clear winner when it comes to email anymore but for me the little things are what counts and i mean being able to set up email fast it just a very nice feature.
    And don't forget moving them to a new device only requires pressing the send service books and verifying the passwords. In less then 2 minutes you're good to go.
    08-14-11 07:43 PM
    I forgot all about the Sense client... again, options, options options.
    08-14-11 07:54 PM
    I've been reading all the comments about how the blackberry is better at messaging than the iPhone and android phones. Can someone explain how so?

I've been a blackberry user since the very beginning... and since then, the things that irritated me then still do. For example:

1. Still no imap support. Why do I have to delete / file messages twice when using BIS?
    2. BES implementation is not perfect. Those using filesite within outlook will know what I'm talking about. File a bunch of messages using fast filer and there is a 50% chance that message may or may not be deleted/reconciled from your blackberry.
    3. Why does all my web browsing data have to go through RIM's NOC. In my experience this extra compression does lower data usage - but man does it ever make web browsing slow and unbearable.

The list goes on. With Microsoft activesync using SSL encryption I just don't see the benefit for corporate email anymore.

On top of that, something I thought I would never say, but other phones (iPhone) just do all messaging so much better than the blackberry. Push email with activesync/gmail/yahoo is so much better than RIM's implementation. You have an exact
    The only thing blackberry has going for itself these days is a great keyboard.

... a still frustrated bb user. RIM, you're making it mighty hard to stick around.
    BIS, only need to perform the action once, not twice.
    BES, what you described, isn't so. I've been a BES admin and BES user since the 1st BES, and this simply isn't true. I have never had a message not show up where it's filed, when filing one or multiple message at once. I don't know about this "filesite" app, and don't care, but once the device reconciles, all messages are where the were filed/deleted etc...you must have issues with the BES you use/used, or maybe the filesite app has issues.
    RIM is still better at push than anyone else...and Active Sync plain sucks, try it on an Android or Windows device...not even close to a BES and consumes 10-20 times more data, syncing what, like e-mail, contacts and the calendar? Doesn't even sync tasks, memo's etc...
    I agree with you regarding the browser; sucks that it's so slow, however the new Torch and 9900 are much improved on the browser side. Admittedly, they still have a very long way to go to get to the level of an iPHONE or Android device.
    08-14-11 07:56 PM
209 ... 56789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD