Why is BlackBerry better for messaging?

Long answer:

- Industry leading keyboard, enough said.
    - Keyboard/convenience key shortcut allows me to access my unified inbox with the press of a single button.
    - BIS not only allows instant message delivery, but also more data and battery efficiency when it comes to e-mail and instant messaging applications.
    - LED notification light
    - Profile settings
    - Battery efficiency means I could message all day and not have to worry. The whole point of a phone is to be able to communicate with people, no matter where you are (well, depends), without being tethered to some sort of cord (whether it be a land line or a charging cable) for an extended period of time.

Short answer:

- Damn You Auto Correct! - Funny iPhone Fails and Autocorrect Horror Stories

On a side note, I don't know what the browser has to do with a phone's messaging capabilities, but BlackBerrys having a slow, crummy web browser is an old notion (plenty of them in this thread) at this point.
    Last edited by Masahiro; 08-13-11 at 11:24 AM.
    08-13-11 11:21 AM
    I use to be a card-carrying member of the "BB does it best when it comes to messaging" club until I tried other platforms. They are catching up...

For me, I find that I am most productive on an Android device. I have a choice of two keyboards: Swype and GB, which I use in landscape to type longer messages. Shocking, since I have posts on here from not too long ago saying virtual keyboards are for the birds.

I rely on fast text entry since I manage social networking for my organization.

My email is more reliable (though all my email accounts are Google/Google Apps-based), and IMAP works well for me.

It's all about personal preference, but once I was able to wrap my mind around being open to looking at my messaging needs from an uninhibited point of view, I was able to see that "first" may not be the "best" for everyone, especially me.
    08-13-11 11:25 AM
    On one hand, people in here love to tout BB's efficiency and how shortcuts save so much time. But on the other hand, these same people are perfectly willing to accept things like 5-10+ minute boot times and that dreaded spinning clock.

I need to reboot once a week, in that time I will have used the spacebar in my emails and C for compose, and R for reply more than 500 times, AND using those times are during billable hours, vs the reboot which usually happens before bed, or while on a plane.

Now to the OP,
    BlackBerry continually gets called a better messaging device because out of the box it is the best, without the need to search for and find apps, and the majority of people use their device at default configuration, they download apps for Entertainment, not for productivity improvements,

With BlackBerry if you take the time to learn ShortCuts, you've got many many second savers built into the device,
    With BlackBerry you've got Social media integration better than the rest, (they are catching up)
    With BlackBerry you have BBM, that doesn't mean much to Non blackberry users, but the way BBM does things, it is an amazing Communication tool, especially when Businesses set up groups and shared calendars.
    BES and BlackBerry PIN's allow broadcast messages when the email server is down ( Our Domino sever crashed, all BlackBerry users received a PIN to let us know why we were not getting emails, and inter company communication continued through BBM, or PIN2PIN.
    RIM's Universal message box is designed to make it fast to get through emails and messages, you can have everything from facebook, to twitter, to BBM, to SMS, and 10 emails all in one place, the fact RIM removes the fluff from HTML emails is a bonus to some a negative to others, for me it is a bonus
    RIM's reduced data usage makes it require a lower signal to send messages, this is a useful feature in places with overloaded cell towers, ( Friday the 13th during the summer in Port Dover Ontario, as an example BBM worked, SMS, MSN, full emails, phone calls, did not work )
    AutoText (word substitution) again something a user needs to learn, but once a user uses this or an admin sets it up for users, simple things like typing mynum can put out 18001234567 ext 1234 or mycontact NAME + title+ office+cell+email making getting information out there much much easier
    OniBerry and Masahiro like this.
    08-13-11 11:26 AM
    For a power user - it seems as though the BB just doesn't cut it so I will be passing on the 9900. I hate to say it, but a power user isn't someone setting up meeting requests. A power user is someone who wants everything in one device (good quality camera, MP3 player, personal organizer, contact management, personal and work email synced across all devices, etc.) - and uses most of those functions to boot. I have yet to play a game on this new iphone. And no, I don't want to carry around a separate camera, music player, video recorder, tablet and whatever else. I want it all in one device. I always thought that was the definition of a power user in the smartphone world.

I hope to be back one day when RIM finally figures it out.

I respect your right to use other platforms, but to say the BB doesn't cut it for a power user is a bit insulting, I travel extensively and BB travel is AMAZING it takes all my emails with confirmation numbers and flight details and rolls them into one place seemlessly, I must go through 100+ emails in the 12.5h North American Business day, in addition to my addiction to BBM with some 30-40 conversations in a day including funny picture competitions, and voicenote karaoke, which mixes fun into the busy day, I listen to pod casts, educational lectures, and music, I have a few games (3D Roller coaster seems like it is going to eat my time I regret downloading it this morning!) and the Keyboard for the BlackBerry allows me to do all my work on the device with a single hand while navigating an airport, bus station, conference hall, or warehouse while keeping my eyes mostly forward to avoid collisions. the tactical response of the keyboard makes this more possible than on a touchscreen device, though not impossible.

I am glad you found a phone that meets your needs, be it an iPhone, and Android Phone, a BlackBerry, a tin cup and string, what ever it is, but don't assume what works for you is what will work for everyone, and anyone who uses what didn't work for you can't possibly be "power users"
    Shadrackc likes this.
    08-13-11 11:46 AM
    BB is best at messaging because it's good enough, exceedingly reliable and durable hardware, and I'm used to it. This assumes your message is small enough to fit the limits of the device/BIS. As an internet browser, my Torch is next to useless. I would never consider using it to surf the web in other than an emergency, or to view a few bookmarked mobile sites I know I can load in under a minute. Anyone who thinks these things are even in the same league as an iPhone or Android device when it comes to web surfing is a delusional fanboy. They are pathetic.
    08-13-11 11:56 AM
    You can turn off conversation view in the settings of GMail.

It is annoying, believe me, I know...lol
    I need conversation view, but I just need to be able to see with whom the conversation is with from my inbox. I don't know if RIM or Google wrote this plugin, but whomever it was it is a stunning example of bad design that's oblivious to basic common sense.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    nliang likes this.
    08-13-11 12:02 PM
    Five to ten minute boot times? I have never had a BlackBerry take that long to boot. Where did you come up with this? Besides, the iPhone isn't exactly a speed demon when fully rebooting either. I have never had an Android device so I can't comment on them, but my guess is they aren't particularly speedy either.

Besides, I rarely would reboot a BlackBerry, and when I did, I would just set it down and let it do it's thing. I've never been in a critical situation where I needed to reboot and needed the phone immediately.
    My Bold 9650 takes AT LEAST five minutes to boot.
    08-13-11 12:24 PM
    Email sent to me 10:00 email received 10:00 my reply sent 10:00, that's why blackberry is better at messaging plus an universal inbox for absolutely everything email, IM, social media and any other kind of notification, all in one inbox quickly searchable by simply pressing S and quickly separated by other shortcuts example alt+I for everything incoming and alt+O for everything outgoing.

Oh, and by the way, does any other platform allow you to move your emails accounts to a new device by simply resending the service books?

08-13-11 12:27 PM
    Hold up.

I currently own an EVO 4G and plan on getting a Bold 9930 for Sprint next Sunday.

Is the OP (or anyone) saying that if I read something on either the blackberry, gmail interface, or Apple mail that the other devices will not see that the email has been marked as read and that pretty much I will have to mark 3 different things as read?

This is a huge feature for me that I need.

Can anyone confirm if that it's true?
    08-13-11 12:42 PM
    Hold up.

I currently own an EVO 4G and plan on getting a Bold 9930 for Sprint next Sunday.

Is the OP (or anyone) saying that if I read something on either the blackberry, gmail interface, or Apple mail that the other devices will not see that the email has been marked as read and that pretty much I will have to mark 3 different things as read?

This is a huge feature for me that I need.

Can anyone confirm if that it's true?
    Sync from blackberry to gmail for read, deleted, contacts, calendar, sent emails etc is instant
    Sync from Gmail to blackberry for sent emails instant, calendars and contacts a few minutes
    For some bizarre reason read and deleted emails from Gmai to blackberry can take 3 hours.

Hope this clears it out for you.
    08-13-11 12:49 PM
    Why is BlackBerry better for messaging?

Long answer:

- Industry leading keyboard, enough said.
    - Keyboard/convenience key shortcut allows me to access my unified inbox with the press of a single button.
    - BIS not only allows instant message delivery, but also more data and battery efficiency when it comes to e-mail and instant messaging applications.
    - LED notification light
    - Profile settings
    - Battery efficiency means I could message all day and not have to worry. The whole point of a phone is to be able to communicate with people, no matter where you are (well, depends), without being tethered to some sort of cord (whether it be a land line or a charging cable) for an extended period of time.

Short answer:

- Damn You Auto Correct! - Funny iPhone Fails and Autocorrect Horror Stories

On a side note, I don't know what the browser has to do with a phone's messaging capabilities, but BlackBerrys having a slow, crummy web browser is an old notion (plenty of them in this thread) at this point.
    +1 Nicely said!
    08-13-11 12:53 PM
    Sync from blackberry to gmail for read, deleted, contacts, calendar, sent emails etc is instant
    Sync from Gmail to blackberry for sent emails instant, calendars and contacts a few minutes
    For some bizarre reason read and deleted emails from Gmai to blackberry can take 3 hours.

Hope this clears it out for you.
    Thanks for the great response.

3 hours can be a long time, but as long as it does it, I'll survive. Was worried something as basic as that was missing.
    08-13-11 12:57 PM

3 hours can be a long time, but as long as it does it, I'll survive. Was worried something as basic as that was missing.
    You can always click on the date bar above and select mark prior read and/or delete.
    You can also easily select miltiple emails for deleting and you also get the option to delete only from the device or device and server. I don't know if the other platforms give you that option, I'm 99% sure iphone doesn't.

08-13-11 01:01 PM

On my 9700 it takes up to 8 hours, and sometimes not at all. This is only for gmail. For any other account (yahoomail, whatever) there is no desktop to blackberry syncing at all
    08-13-11 01:04 PM
    It's all user preference. Some people absolutely must have the keyboard to be able to type 5 seconds faster than they would on a touch screen phone. For people who are practical and realize that this isn't a big deal at all, iPhones/Androids are just fine for messaging as well.
    08-13-11 01:09 PM
    I think you need to look up what "practical" means. Saving five seconds sounds like the more practical option, and can add up to a lot over a hundred messages a day.

08-13-11 01:13 PM

1) Keyboard
    2) Email
    3) Security
    4) BBM�
    5) Reliable (never got a dropped call on my good ol 9700)
    6) Canadian, eh

+1 to being canadian - if only it was required for citizenship
    7) Battery life thanks to push tech

08-13-11 01:20 PM
    I think you need to look up what "practical" means. Saving five seconds sounds like the more practical option, and can add up to a lot over a hundred messages a day.

That would be about 8 minutes a day (if we want to start being technical). Nothing earth shattering in my book and certainly not something to convince me to buy one phone over the other. I believe everyone should just buy what is best for them.
    08-13-11 01:24 PM

Yes I'm sure this would make a drastic difference in your day.
    08-13-11 01:26 PM
    I need to reboot once a week, in that time I will have used the spacebar in my emails and C for compose, and R for reply more than 500 times, AND using those times are during billable hours, vs the reboot which usually happens before bed, or while on a plane.
    Once a week? That's fine except that I know that BB's still experience random reboots, not to mention the fact that you have to reboot it any time that you install something (for some reason). 500 times? OK, and how much time are you really saving? I can set up shortcuts on my screen to achieve the same things just as fast. And what are billable hours anyway? Everything that I do is unlimited anyway.
    08-13-11 01:33 PM
    That still doesn't answer the question of how that isn't "practical". Besides, there are many side benefits of physical keyboards; it's far easier for me to type on one. They are far less battery draining than a virtual keyboard due to the extra screen size. I can type without looking at the keyboard and pay attention to where I'm going. Lastly, they allow keyboard shortcuts.

That is "practicality".

08-13-11 01:36 PM
    They are far less battery draining than a virtual keyboard due to the extra screen size.
    Iphone 4 disproved that theory.

I can type without looking at the keyboard and pay attention to where I'm going
    This one is a little troubling.
    08-13-11 01:40 PM
    Iphone 4 disproved that theory.

This one is a little troubling.
    It's just plain common sense... All other factors equal, physical keyboard takes up less power than an LCD display. I don't see how that can be disputed.

I also don't see anything wrong with the other point I made.

08-13-11 01:47 PM
    On my 9700 it takes up to 8 hours, and sometimes not at all. This is only for gmail. For any other account (yahoomail, whatever) there is no desktop to blackberry syncing at all
    That's pretty ridiculous. How can something as basic as that not be fixed?

I still want the phone but this is kind of a huge bummer....
    08-13-11 01:52 PM
    Once a week? That's fine except that I know that BB's still experience random reboots, not to mention the fact that you have to reboot it any time that you install something (for some reason). 500 times? OK, and how much time are you really saving? I can set up shortcuts on my screen to achieve the same things just as fast. And what are billable hours anyway? Everything that I do is unlimited anyway.

You don't have to reboot when you install an app, only when you update an already installed app, and even then not all the time, some apps don't require a reboot when updated. My 9700 never had a random reboot, os5 or os6.

Michelle Haag likes this.
    08-13-11 01:54 PM
209 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD