But on the other hand, these same people are perfectly willing to accept things like 5-10+ minute boot times and that dreaded spinning clock.
    Five to ten minute boot times? I have never had a BlackBerry take that long to boot. Where did you come up with this? Besides, the iPhone isn't exactly a speed demon when fully rebooting either. I have never had an Android device so I can't comment on them, but my guess is they aren't particularly speedy either.

Besides, I rarely would reboot a BlackBerry, and when I did, I would just set it down and let it do it's thing. I've never been in a critical situation where I needed to reboot and needed the phone immediately.
    OniBerry and Sharma15 like this.
    08-13-11 09:12 AM
    Was that a "you" problem, or an Android problem?
    I doubt I was the problem. I set it up the way I was told to.

If I forgot to do something more complicated to set it up properly than that sucks.
    08-13-11 09:15 AM
    Was that a "you" problem, or an Android problem?
    Probably a "you problem". Gmail on Android is INSTANT as with my blackberries it was anywhere from instant to up to 15 mins.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-11 09:20 AM
    Probably a "you problem". Gmail on Android is INSTANT as with my blackberries it was anywhere from instant to up to 15 mins.

Gmail on my 9780 is anywhere between 2-10 seconds.
    08-13-11 09:22 AM
    Gmail on my 9780 is anywhere between 2-10 seconds.
    Are you able to 2-way sync?
    08-13-11 09:24 AM
    Five to ten minute boot times? I have never had a BlackBerry take that long to boot. Where did you come up with this? Besides, the iPhone isn't exactly a speed demon when fully rebooting either. I have never had an Android device so I can't comment on them, but my guess is they aren't particularly speedy either.

Besides, I rarely would reboot a BlackBerry, and when I did, I would just set it down and let it do it's thing. I've never been in a critical situation where I needed to reboot and needed the phone immediately.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post6437084

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...ml#post6548790

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post6466019

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post6087286

Just a few examples of where I came up with these boot times (well these, and personal experience.).

Oh, and my original Droid booted in 31 seconds.
    08-13-11 09:26 AM
    Are you able to 2-way sync?

Read messages on my phone appear as read in my Mail for mac.
    08-13-11 09:28 AM
    Read messages on my phone appear as read in my Mail for mac.
    How about from your mac to blackberry? If you read on desktop does it show read/deleted on your blackberry?
    08-13-11 09:34 AM
    I've been reading all the comments about how the blackberry is better at messaging than the iPhone and android phones. Can someone explain how so?

I've been a blackberry user since the very beginning... and since then, the things that irritated me then still do. For example:

1. Still no imap support. Why do I have to delete / file messages twice when using BIS?
    2. BES implementation is not perfect. Those using filesite within outlook will know what I'm talking about. File a bunch of messages using fast filer and there is a 50% chance that message may or may not be deleted/reconciled from your blackberry.
    3. Why does all my web browsing data have to go through RIM's NOC. In my experience this extra compression does lower data usage - but man does it ever make web browsing slow and unbearable.

The list goes on. With Microsoft activesync using SSL encryption I just don't see the benefit for corporate email anymore.

On top of that, something I thought I would never say, but other phones (iPhone) just do all messaging so much better than the blackberry. Push email with activesync/gmail/yahoo is so much better than RIM's implementation. You have an exact copy of your folders - push is true push. You name it.

The only thing blackberry has going for itself these days is a great keyboard.

... a still frustrated bb user. RIM, you're making it mighty hard to stick around.
    How is messaging better? It is not. BB users used to have the delivery confirmation but now imessage and other apps like whatsapp killed that argument.

My personal phone (a 9780) stinks with messaging. Whenever i get a message I have to scroll down to the very bottom of the page to read the message. It takes forever to scroll through all the previous messages.

Folder sync on BES is not perfect as you stated and i have to clear conflicts often to get this to work right.

My email will sometimes all disappear from the email app. A simple battery pull which takes 5 minutes cures this, but why? This happens at least 2x a week.

Using the browser is slow as you have indicated and i agree on RIM making it hard to stick around. Combine this with the lack of apps, poor camera, and lack of other features like HDMI out, no BT keyboard natively, etc., and you have yourself the reason why iPhone 5 will end up cleaning up this fall in the smartphone war.
    08-13-11 09:34 AM
    for gmail, i think this may help
    BlackBerry - Gmail Help
    08-13-11 09:35 AM
    How about from your mac to blackberry? If you read on desktop does it show read/deleted on your blackberry?

I don't think so. But not sure.
    08-13-11 09:38 AM
    On iPhone, Android and WP7 when I enter my work email (Zimbra account) it requires me to enter advanced settings (pop/imap and smtp). Two problems emerge from here (1) there's a difficulty with a certificate being accepted, this isn't huge as it doesn't really affect anything but (2) in none of these three can I send email from the work account. It simply doesn't go. So I need to enter the smtp settings for gmail in order to reply to email sent to my work account. It replies through gmail.

On a blackberry I enter my username and password and everything runs perfectly.

This is (a) better and (b) builds trust with Blackberry.

I've also experienced annoying little problems with Android and WP 7 replying to mail sent to my .mac address. I usually need to play around with the port in order to get it perfect. Again, a hassle and >Blackberry.

Also, my Blackberry receives email before my computer on all my accounts, it will ding and flash the led before my computer using outlook receives it. This is not the case on other phones. I have a Mac account, a Gmail account and a Live account. All three phones (iphone, android and WP 7) Excel with their own email but the Blackberry excels with all three.

It's a safer, quicker more stable and more efficient system. It also handles "difficult" email like my Zimbra based work email where the others simply can't. Ergo it's a LOT better than all the others.
    08-13-11 09:41 AM
    Blackberry's are great, but you don't have to have a phone that's better than Android or IOS to use it. I use my blackberry because I needed a keyboard on a solid OS. My friends had IOS and Android devices and would complain about the battery life, the OS bugging out/crashing and even the lack of physical keys made it hard for them to type messages some times. The Blackberry offers alternatives to some of these issues. Are Blackberry's the leader in smartphones? Statistically and market wise, no, but I use my phone because it works for me and me only. Other OS' have their perks and that's great but not exactly what I want in the long run. Here are some selling points of Blackberry's if you still need them:

1) Keyboard
    2) Email
    3) Security
    4) BBM�
    5) Reliable (never got a dropped call on my good ol 9700)
    6) Canadian, eh

Last edited by vsharm01; 08-13-11 at 09:52 AM.
    08-13-11 09:47 AM
    Who cares about the advantages? What kind of businessmen don't use BlackBerry model phones?
    Oh.. I don't know
    I can think of thousands I see everyday in Seattle that don't.
    for gmail, i think this may help
    BlackBerry - Gmail Help

I can't seem to find advanced options to change to imap when setting up the email address.
    People can say whatever they want. To me an iPhone doesn't feel like a phone. It feels like a toy for grownups that allows you to talk with people.

Plus, I was never a fan of touch screen and will never be (need the physical keyboard).

It's just a BlackBerry organizes your stuff in an amazing way! No phone can replicate that.

Sure, there are 34223424234234 apps in the "App Store" but honestly, are you going to use all of them? And besides, wouldn't you rather have less app to worry about?

My 2 cents.
    08-13-11 10:03 AM
    Htc status looks attractive if you need a qwerty keyboard. I played with a live demo unit and it was surprisingly usable. Screen isn't as great as 9900, but the keyboard was awesome
    08-13-11 10:12 AM
    I've been reading all the comments about how the blackberry is better at messaging than the iPhone and android phones. Can someone explain how so?
    snipped...
    copy of your folders - push is true push. You name it.

The only thing blackberry has going for itself these days is a great keyboard.

... a still frustrated bb user. RIM, you're making it mighty hard to stick around.
    Good questions. As I use both daily (hourly) in a business environment I'll try and explain why I still keep both. Note that this is for attach to a very large and robust BES (5.x) and EAS environment.

Blackberry-
    * Level 1 messages - I get 50-75 work emails a day but only a select few require immediate attention
    * Message flagging with reminders
    * Ability to add/rename/delete Outlook folders
    * Access to files on share drives
    * Ability to "reply all" to meeting attendees
    * Ability to forward a meeting
    * Ability to read a file embedded in a meeting invite
    * Ability to expand/collapse Outlook folders
    * More granular control of meeting entries in calender
    * Bullet proof email delivery
    * Set Outlook OOO responses from BB
    * and others

iPhone-
    * Better email rendering
    * Much better Gmail integration
    * Exchange functions are "just good enough" for much of my day.
    * Much better for data consumption whether it is via applications, corporate intranet, or Internet

For a user not on BES and/or EAS (Activesync) the BB advantages in a corporate environment become much less.

If I did not require the Exchange function/feature set and only had to keep one device, I would probably choose the iPhone.
    ADGrant likes this.
    08-13-11 10:32 AM
    Reading these forums I am constantly amazed at the amount of "other" phone users show up with opinions on here.
    The reason I am surprised is I have NEVER been to an apple/android forum just to comments and try pop the bubble of the people who like their product.
    I personally can't stand the iPhone, and it isn't because of the product itself as I do think that Apple makes some very smart and well made products, but it is the arrogance of their owner, and their users, that turns me off of the product.
    From the beginning when you couldn't change your own battery....is it water proof? Then things like Jobs trying to cut down RIMs phones because the iPhone 4 would drop calls instead of admitting they made a mistake, and the fix....here is a 22 cent ugly rubber sleeve that fixes everything.
    Ever try running iTunes on a PC?
    Ever wonder why the apple computers are twice what the SAME hardware is for PC?
    Ever since the early days of Apple suing everyone for everything. Jobs stole his OS from Xerox PARC as did Gates, but Apple sues Microsoft?
    To repeat....like the product...hate the ownership and mentality.
    I was a Windows phone user on HTC products until 3 years ago. Because of my work environment, like a real work environment, not another apple web design shop running iphones, I had to change.
    Never looked back.
    Mail works so much better in my eyes under BES and gives the security that Enterprise needs. I was sitting at a supper with 3 directors, and 3 vice presidents of companies and we all pulled out phones at the end of supper to setup an appointment. Not to make this a male/female thing but there was one female director. Everyone had a blackberry....except the female director. iPhone. We asked her why and she said her husband gave it to her so she couldn't get rid of it, but she missed her Blackberry. Oh, also, her battery was almost dead, another iphone 4 issue.
    I use a phone for productivity first. I can type accurately so much better on my Bold 9900 than on anything I have ever used. Mail works. Security is there. (Android users...so now Norton has released a product for your phones..that says something doesn't it?)
    I produce more on a BB, and do it with the knowledge that it is secure.
    08-13-11 10:57 AM
    I'm surprised nobody has pointed out the fact that Blackberry does REAL push email...ie a notification is pushed to your device over the phone network telling it to connect to the server and download the message. "Push" email on other devices requires that your phone frequently (or constantly) connects to the server to check for new messages. This is obviously a battery drain and is the main reason why Blackberry push is superior. I've never had a problem with delay, except maybe those rare occasions when the RIM servers are screwy.

But I agree its Gmail implementation is poor, stemming from the point at which RIM introduced its Gmail plugin. To this day I still can't believe that the threaded conversations in my inbox just show the subject line and not the sender's name(s) like it does on desktop Gmail. It's unbelievable that they haven't fixed this. Sometimes I have multiple threads with the same subject line and I have to open them to see which is which.

08-13-11 11:01 AM
    Good post @Shadrackc. At the end of the day though, if someone has to ask why a Blackberry is better at messaging, then there is no use explaining it to them.

If you are not messaging with a Blackberry, then you are not messaging with a Bllackberry
    08-13-11 11:04 AM
    I'm surprised nobody has pointed out the fact that Blackberry does REAL push email...ie a notification is pushed to your device over the phone network telling it to connect to the server and download the message. "Push" email on other devices requires that your phone frequently (or constantly) connects to the server to check for new messages. This is obviously a battery drain and is the main reason why Blackberry push is superior. I've never had a problem with delay, except maybe those rare occasions when the RIM servers are screwy.

But I agree its Gmail implementation is poor, stemming from the point at which RIM introduced its Gmail plugin. To this day I still can't believe that the threaded conversations in my inbox just show the subject line and not the sender's name(s) like it does on desktop Gmail. It's unbelievable that they haven't fixed this. Sometimes I have multiple threads with the same subject line and I have to open them to see which is which.

You can turn off conversation view in the settings of GMail.

It is annoying, believe me, I know...lol
    08-13-11 11:05 AM
    Reading these forums I am constantly amazed at the amount of "other" phone users show up with opinions on here.
    The reason I am surprised is I have NEVER been to an apple/android forum just to comments and try pop the bubble of the people who like their product.
    I personally can't stand the iPhone, and it isn't because of the product itself as I do think that Apple makes some very smart and well made products, but it is the arrogance of their owner, and their users, that turns me off of the product.
    From the beginning when you couldn't change your own battery....is it water proof? Then things like Jobs trying to cut down RIMs phones because the iPhone 4 would drop calls instead of admitting they made a mistake, and the fix....here is a 22 cent ugly rubber sleeve that fixes everything.
    Ever try running iTunes on a PC?
    Ever wonder why the apple computers are twice what the SAME hardware is for PC?
    Ever since the early days of Apple suing everyone for everything. Jobs stole his OS from Xerox PARC as did Gates, but Apple sues Microsoft?
    To repeat....like the product...hate the ownership and mentality.
    I was a Windows phone user on HTC products until 3 years ago. Because of my work environment, like a real work environment, not another apple web design shop running iphones, I had to change.
    Never looked back.
    Mail works so much better in my eyes under BES and gives the security that Enterprise needs. I was sitting at a supper with 3 directors, and 3 vice presidents of companies and we all pulled out phones at the end of supper to setup an appointment. Not to make this a male/female thing but there was one female director. Everyone had a blackberry....except the female director. iPhone. We asked her why and she said her husband gave it to her so she couldn't get rid of it, but she missed her Blackberry. Oh, also, her battery was almost dead, another iphone 4 issue.
    I use a phone for productivity first. I can type accurately so much better on my Bold 9900 than on anything I have ever used. Mail works. Security is there. (Android users...so now Norton has released a product for your phones..that says something doesn't it?)
    I produce more on a BB, and do it with the knowledge that it is secure.
    I don't think anyone is trying to burst anyone's bubble here... at least I'm not. I'm just frustrated with the new Bold 9900 and how it can't handle seemingly basic email functionality that users have come to expect. I thought I was missing something here - something simple as IMAP setup. I was hoping somoeone would enlighten me. That's not the case unfortunately.

If I was using a device strictly for work, that blackberry would be fine, but that just isn't the case today. I have three email accounts (one work, two personal). I like (need) to be connected. I don't want to waste time managing accounts from both my device and then again on my desktop.

... and guess what, I like using my phone as a toy. I've been using my blackberry as a point and shoot camera since they made cameras available on them. I've been using my blackberry as an MP3 player at the gym. I use it to read the news while on the subway to work.

I've just started using an iPhone and it does everything better and then some. I was on a flight and watched a movie on it. Offline email actually worked, unlike my blackberry. I can't count how many times I have been in the subway deleting/filing emails on my blackberry, only to come into service and all those changes disappearing into a black hole.

For a power user - it seems as though the BB just doesn't cut it so I will be passing on the 9900. I hate to say it, but a power user isn't someone setting up meeting requests. A power user is someone who wants everything in one device (good quality camera, MP3 player, personal organizer, contact management, personal and work email synced across all devices, etc.) - and uses most of those functions to boot. I have yet to play a game on this new iphone. And no, I don't want to carry around a separate camera, music player, video recorder, tablet and whatever else. I want it all in one device. I always thought that was the definition of a power user in the smartphone world.

I hope to be back one day when RIM finally figures it out.
    Last edited by nkouts; 08-13-11 at 11:30 AM.
    08-13-11 11:09 AM

ActiveSync v BES

The last post of the above link gives a good overview of BES vs. Activesync.
    08-13-11 11:14 AM
    not true in my book. i have a droid charge. it still freezes more when i try to open emails or messages. plus, if you plan on actually typing email, the bb still havs the benefit of the keyboard.

and email (especially aol) doesn't get pushed as fast as bis.

Email being a blackberry competitive advantage is an outdated notion.
    08-13-11 11:16 AM
209 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD