Hi everyone,

So apparently the Sprint Torch 9850 has the Wi-Fi Hotspot option, but my Bold 9930 does not. What confuses me is that in terms of (relevant) hardware specs, aren't the two devices identical? Is there some limitation to the Bold's Wi-Fi radio that I don't know about or is this just Sprint's doing? Is it something that could perhaps be activated later? Thanks!

-mtmjr90

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    08-27-11 03:23 AM
    From hardware side 9900/9930 have wifi hotspot capability..
    Its blocked by carrier.. If your carrier allowing wifi hotspot, maybe they will fixed it with software update..CMIIW..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-11 03:38 AM
    Or i guess that could be implemented by an app?
    08-27-11 07:59 AM
    Or i guess that could be implemented by an app?
    No, I don't think that is going to happen.
    08-27-11 08:00 AM
    No, I don't think that is going to happen.
    Why? Is the SDK lacking the APIs for it?
    08-27-11 08:07 AM
    Why? Is the SDK lacking the APIs for it?
    Exactly...
    08-27-11 09:15 AM
    The Hotspot capability will come as a software update, later on... BOTH the 9930 AND the 9850 (On Sprint) will be Hotspot Capable...
    08-27-11 10:00 AM
    The Hotspot capability will come as a software update, later on... BOTH the 9930 AND the 9850 (On Sprint) will be Hotspot Capable...

Just out of curiosity, how do you know this? I mean, from day 1, the 9850 has been advertised at Hotspot capable, but never has Sprint mentioned enabling the feature on the 9930.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    08-27-11 12:14 PM
    It's printed on the back of the Sprint 9930 box. The playbook had the 9850 as having hotspot capability but now the Sprint store says it doesnt have hotspot after all. They must be having some problems with the feature.
    08-28-11 11:50 PM
    Sorry, but..says who?..

There is no argument that the 9930 is hotspot capable but that and a dollar buys a crummy coffee.

Of course a new o.s. will be required for the 9930 for this so where do you get the information that hotspot will be available for the 9930 on Sprint?.. it is fatally incorrect to simply "assume" such an event will take place.

10-07-11 01:47 PM
    In Canada, both Bell and Telus said they will roll out an update with FREE (yep, free) hotspot for Bold 9900. The OS 7.1 which is coming out soon will have hotspot capabilities.

Depend on what kind of controlling freaks run your carrier company, you may or may not get the hotspot for free. I am 99.99% sure that NFC and wifi hotspot won't be free in companies like AT&T if they ever release 9900. No wonder finally people in US getting up against the cooperate greed. (read the news on US protests)

Same thing should happen in Canada.... Rogers CEO reported record high revenue that will NEVER go to the hard working Rogers employees, but rather go towards the bonuses of CEO and other high end people.

The reason the hotspot is not released is because RIM is still finalizing the FCC signal standards for it. Another reason is that AT&T and some other companies want to control NFC and wifi hotspot by charging customers extra money even if you are under your data limit for the plan. Some service providers want the RIM have a code in OS 7.1 so that every time you use hotspot a single will be sent out to the carrier so they can track you who much you use it and charge you on that. The physical radio antenna for wifi hotspot is already built in to the phone.
    Last edited by mss-ca; 10-07-11 at 02:08 PM.
    10-07-11 02:01 PM
    Sorry, but..says who?..

There is no argument that the 9930 is hotspot capable but that and a dollar buys a crummy coffee.

Of course a new o.s. will be required for the 9930 for this so where do you get the information that hotspot will be available for the 9930 on Sprint?.. it is fatally incorrect to simply "assume" such an event will take place.
    On the Box that the 9930 gets shipped in from Sprint, it states that the phone is Hot Spot capable. So, unless this was a complete oversight by Sprint, this phone should become Hot Spot capable at some point.
    10-07-11 02:08 PM
    On the Box that the 9930 gets shipped in from Sprint, it states that the phone is Hot Spot capable. So, unless this was a complete oversight by Sprint, this phone should become Hot Spot capable at some point.
    The physical antenna is there. Just an OS update is needed. The Sprint is RIGHT.
    10-07-11 02:10 PM
    I was able to find a pic of the box online, it states "Sprint Mobile Hotspot Capable"

See Below

10-07-11 02:10 PM
    The physical antenna is there. Just an OS update is needed. The Sprint is RIGHT.
    I understand, I was just pointing out that the box from Sprint specifically said it and no one was assuming anything. I know they are not capable at this point, but with the box stating it, I would believe it will come eventually.
    10-07-11 02:12 PM
    so its like being given a car with no ignition key?..
    10-07-11 02:12 PM
    I understand, I was just pointing out that the box from Sprint specifically said it and no one was assuming anything. I know they are not capable at this point, but with the box stating it, I would believe it will come eventually.
    I hope Sprint will provide this to for free.... Some companies are looking at ways to charge us that that's why it was delayed. RIM's OS 7.1 send a digital tag to the service provider every time you turn on and use it. Some will use this tag to monitor your data usage and charge additional fees. How do I know this? Let's say I have a close relative who work for RIM.
    10-07-11 02:15 PM
    I hope Sprint will provide this to for free.... Some companies are looking at ways to charge us that that's why it was delayed. RIM's OS 7.1 send a digital tag to the service provider every time you turn on and use it. Some will use this tag to monitor your data usage and charge additional fees. How do I know this? Let's say I have a close relative who work for RIM.
    Oh Sprint's going to charge. I had an Evo 4G with hotspot and it was $30/month. Sucks, but I'd be willing to bet on it.
    10-07-11 02:22 PM
    I want one of these phones!
    10-07-11 02:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD