Ever since my battery drained for the 2nd time and my phone wouldn't start up until I did a battery pull. My battery life is amazing!! Today I unplugged my phone @ 13:30 it is now 22:30 approx and I am @ 65%!!! I used to only get 10-12 hrs of use but this is awesome!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    11-01-11 12:39 AM
    I've heard people doing this and getting better battery life, yet it's to my knowledge that li-ion batteries shouldn't be fully drained.

Perhaps doing this would cause poor battery health (won't be able to hold a charge) down the road.
    11-01-11 12:42 AM
    Subscribed.

11-01-11 01:06 AM
    I've only done it twice, once unintentionally and once on purpose. Yes someone told me not to do a battery drain, I won't do it again though. Just hope this battery life keeps up!

11-01-11 01:11 AM
    Good to hear wingsung! I've also been experiencing great battery life lately. It's starting to get to the point where I can comfortably last 3/4 of my daily routine to a whole day. Yesterday I broke into the second day and didn't have to charge overnight.

I think .374 helped a LOT for me. While I don't think having to completely drain and recharge is necessary, I'm inclined to believe battery pulls may partially clear the state of the memory and activity in the background. This might result in less battery leaks and improved life.

I bet we'll see battery continue to improve with newer builds. If they match the 9700's life I will be extremely impressed.

It's a great technological feat to double the processing power and decrease battery capacity while improving battery life. So I'm hoping....
    11-01-11 01:25 AM
    In general, you shouldnt drain the battery down to the last drop often but doing so once in a while is actually ok.

On my Lenovo laptop, there is this Power Management application where it will calibrate my battery (not extending the battery) to show a more accurate estimate when my battery will be fully drained. They do so by draining the battery and recharge it full again.

So maybe you can follow what Lenovo did with their Li-On batteries to our Blackberry. Again, don't do it too often.

So for me, I just charge it whenever I can BUT I know where will be time where i forgot to turn off some applicaitons and the battery will drain to the bottom. I make use of such situation to recharge (calibrate) my battery

- Charles
    Chrisy and JR A like this.
    11-01-11 02:02 AM
    It has now been almost 12 hours since unplugging my phone and still @ 60%!!! Awesome!!

11-01-11 03:31 AM
    I have somewhat of a similar story. Two days ago my phone was draining like crazy. I had to charge twice throughout the day (under 18 hours from when I woke up to going to bed) because it was in the yellow. Today, I have had my phone off the charger for 18 hours and I'm currently at 48%. Impressive. I have even been texting, emailing, and streaming from slacker quite a bit. I love this battery life but this erratic battery life is somewhat disturbing as I don't know when I have to worry about my battery life. It's like using an Android again. sigh
    11-01-11 03:34 AM
    Same thing happened to me. My battery was usually drained in 5-6 hrs. One day I left it in the truck and came back to a dead phone but it wasn't completly drained as I still had a little red showing. Plugged it in so I could use it then unplugged it until I got home. Pulled the battery for 10 minuets then charged it full. Since then it has been great. On an average day, 12 hrs I still have over 50% when I return home. I would say moderate use. I have wifi off but GPS is on. Veryyyyyyyyyy happy with my verizon 9930.
    11-01-11 04:38 AM
    Draining a Li-On battery causes its dead. Fortunately, all of them are protected from this event. When you actually "drain" your phone or laptop battery (0% showed in you device) it still has juice on it. So bringing your battery to 0% it's absolutely save, and won't shorten your battery life, since you are not draining all of it's power.

By the way, I'm absolutely pleased by my 9900 battery life, for sure isn't as good as my old 9700, but it lasts me for a day.
    JR A likes this.
    11-01-11 05:23 AM
    Why are there so many variations of battery life on the same device? You would think with the advanced technology today there would be more consistency with this...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-01-11 06:17 AM
    I noticed the same thing when I went to Android, and the Thunderbolt. I think the drastic variations are because of the added customization on the OS7 phones.

Everyone has their devices set up to pull social feeds at different rates, or not at all, apps updating in the background or closed out, brightness level of the screen.

Reading about the Bolt battery, some were getting 4 hours all the way to 23 hours or more! I get about 8 on stock but I think it is because I have no social feeds updating, few widgets. Of course signal affects battery too. Maybe the same devices have better or worse radios, or are in better or worse coverage areas. How much someone streams YouTube, music etc.

The more choices on a device, the more settings, the more you'll see folks with the same device have different battery life.

That's just my theory.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 11-01-11 at 06:52 AM.
    11-01-11 06:24 AM
    1) Calibrating battery will helps alot
    2) 2g only will help alot
    3) Wifi will helps
    4) Deleting some programs like ilock, Helps. This one is a big leak for me .

I think software like whatsapp will cause battery drain too .

Thank Q.
    11-01-11 06:48 AM
    I've heard people doing this and getting better battery life, yet it's to my knowledge that li-ion batteries shouldn't be fully drained.

Perhaps doing this would cause poor battery health (won't be able to hold a charge) down the road.
    Just not repeatedly, over and over. A full disacharge is expected on occassion.

11-01-11 06:55 AM
    Not everyone will get great battery life as there are too many variables from user to user. The OP is getting great battery but the next guy/girl may not. Factor in signal strength, applications used, running applications, current OS, what the phones is being used for (telephone, SMS, BBM, etc) on a daily basis and that will play into what type of battery life you get.
    11-01-11 07:18 AM
    Woke up today to find my phone off, completely drained. Lost about 60% in 4 hours. Not cool, will be wiping and pulling the battery and see what gives.
    11-01-11 08:11 AM
    I have tried each and every solution on this forum.I can even list them for you guys.

1. upgrading to .440 from .296
    2. draining battery to 0% for 2 days.
    3. wiping the phone completely for any garbage left over while restoring from old 9000.
    4. downgrading to stock .296 (advised by Orange UK)
    5. Lowering the brightness and refresh period for apps etc etc etc.
    6. bluetooth off, wifi off.
    7. and other 1000 tips

But, nothing has helped. on a normal day (usage- 4,5 BBM & whatsapp + 3,4 emails + 5,6 webpages + 30 mins of music) battery will last only 6-7 hours with 3G on and on GPRS it will last 9-10 hours.

It is really frustrating for me. I have always loved my Bolds.... but this bad boy is really annoying.
    11-01-11 10:23 AM
  18. T
    In general, you shouldnt drain the battery down to the last drop often but doing so once in a while is actually ok.

On my Lenovo laptop, there is this Power Management application where it will calibrate my battery (not extending the battery) to show a more accurate estimate when my battery will be fully drained. They do so by draining the battery and recharge it full again.

So maybe you can follow what Lenovo did with their Li-On batteries to our Blackberry. Again, don't do it too often.

So for me, I just charge it whenever I can BUT I know where will be time where i forgot to turn off some applicaitons and the battery will drain to the bottom. I make use of such situation to recharge (calibrate) my battery

- Charles
    +1 on this. My Lenovo ThinkPad has this feature, and that's exactly how it's explained. An occasional complete discharge followed by a recharge is necessary to recalibrate the battery gauge. It makes it so the gauge doesn't show empty when there's power left in the battery.
    11-01-11 11:00 AM
    1) Calibrating battery will helps alot
    2) 2g only will help alot
    3) Wifi will helps
    4) Deleting some programs like ilock, Helps. This one is a big leak for me .

I think software like whatsapp will cause battery drain too .

Thank Q.
    I use ILock too to lock my text and calls.. you think its draining the battery?
    11-01-11 11:59 AM
    It has now been almost 12 hours since unplugging my phone and still @ 60%!!! Awesome!!

are you doing anything with the phone or was this sitting idle?? i.e. how many calls? how many texts?? facebook??twitter?
    11-01-11 12:22 PM
    I have tried each and every solution on this forum.I can even list them for you guys.

1. upgrading to .440 from .296
    2. draining battery to 0% for 2 days.
    3. wiping the phone completely for any garbage left over while restoring from old 9000.
    4. downgrading to stock .296 (advised by Orange UK)
    5. Lowering the brightness and refresh period for apps etc etc etc.
    6. bluetooth off, wifi off.
    7. and other 1000 tips

But, nothing has helped. on a normal day (usage- 4,5 BBM & whatsapp + 3,4 emails + 5,6 webpages + 30 mins of music) battery will last only 6-7 hours with 3G on and on GPRS it will last 9-10 hours.

It is really frustrating for me. I have always loved my Bolds.... but this bad boy is really annoying.
    It could be an app or more than one. Do you have a battery metering app? Mine was causing a problem.

That said, I still get some variation in battery life that I can't explain. On the best days, I get 30+ hours. On the worst days (not just due to usage, but to weird fast-drain) I get only about 9 or so. Far more often than not though, I'm at 20+.
    11-04-11 09:37 AM
    It could be an app or more than one. Do you have a battery metering app? Mine was causing a problem.

That said, I still get some variation in battery life that I can't explain. On the best days, I get 30+ hours. On the worst days (not just due to usage, but to weird fast-drain) I get only about 9 or so. Far more often than not though, I'm at 20+.
    The weird fast drain has happened to me before on my 9650 and my 9930 - I attribute it to the VZW network. Happens most notably overnight - not all the time, but sometimes I'll wake up and the phone will be in the red.

11-04-11 09:53 AM
    hold alt the click "L" "G" twice and then menu button and clear log
    11-04-11 12:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD