Anyone got any idea if the new Bold Touch will feature a high-res screen?
    I love my BB 9700 for its keypad and productivity but the iPhone/Android large but more importantly Hi-Res displays really make looking at phone alot more enjoyable.

I read the OS6.1 features some "Liquid Graphics" that allows 24bit graphics but based on the live pictures, the Bold Touch only has a 16bit screen and rather low res. :/

PS: i like the size but hope they keep the 9700 profile rather than the rounded 9000 profile :/
    04-02-11 10:10 PM
    Anyone got any idea if the new Bold Touch will feature a high-res screen?
    I love my BB 9700 for its keypad and productivity but the iPhone/Android large but more importantly Hi-Res displays really make looking at phone alot more enjoyable.

I read the OS6.1 features some "Liquid Graphics" that allows 24bit graphics but based on the live pictures, the Bold Touch only has a 16bit screen and rather low res. :/

PS: i like the size but hope they keep the 9700 profile rather than the rounded 9000 profile :/
    the new bold touch will be sporting a 640x480 vga displayed on a 2.8".

I think the quality will be good.

Personally, I like Super-AMOLED.
    04-03-11 12:32 AM
    Super-AMOLED will be awesome.
    it's not a necessity in a productivity phone but it does affect the experience with the phone
    04-03-11 01:39 AM
    Not a big fan of AMOLED displays as they seem to make the screen too saturated, which makes images look unnatural, if that makes sense.
    04-03-11 03:29 AM
    640x480 isn't actually low res on a 2.8" screen, it is a higher ppi than qHD on a 4.3" screen.
    04-03-11 08:45 AM
    Isn't it going to be the second highest DPI on a phone after the iPhone? Yewah the iPhone has a higher one and it does it on a bigger screen but it should still be very impressive and make a big difference when browsing the web and whatnot.
    04-03-11 11:26 AM
    Yeah, I would assume that the screen is going to be quite nice.. It's funny, when looking at pictures/demos of the phones that were just leaked, you can tell that the "touch" has the old cheap looking metal painted plastic and they did not decide to put in a 1.2ghz processor or as high memory as they decided on with the Bold Touch.. The Bold Touch with the semi aluminum looking bezel along with the touch screen and upgraded processor/memory/everything.. I feel as if this is going to be rims new "baby" so why would they upgrade everything so much but then leave the screen resolution/quality in the crapper.. I mean I'm no rocket scientist, but signs seem to point to yes, call me crazy if you want.
    04-04-11 10:28 PM
    640x480 isn't actually low res on a 2.8" screen, it is a higher ppi than qHD on a 4.3" screen.
    Yeah the Bold Touch will have 287 DPI. That should be good.
    04-04-11 10:42 PM
    Isn't it going to be the second highest DPI on a phone after the iPhone? Yewah the iPhone has a higher one and it does it on a bigger screen but it should still be very impressive and make a big difference when browsing the web and whatnot.
    Can the 2nd highest dpi be confirmed? The screen must be awesome if this is true..
    04-07-11 03:32 PM
    I got to play with a bold touch for a tiny bit, not sure what the res of the screen was, but it looked really nice... a lot better of BlackBerry past!
    04-07-11 04:10 PM
    I got to play with a bold touch for a tiny bit, not sure what the res of the screen was, but it looked really nice... a lot better of BlackBerry past!
    Was it noticeably faster? Did you happen to see how much memory it had on board and if the OS was stored on the 768 RAM or the internal (hopefully 8GB) memory? Anything stand out to you about it? Sorry, I'm a little eager for this phone.
    04-07-11 04:20 PM
    How was the touch screen responce? Did it feel like a 9000 or different? Thanks Can't wait for this phone
    04-07-11 05:19 PM
    How was the touch screen responce? Did it feel like a 9000 or different? Thanks Can't wait for this phone
    9000 didn't have a touch screen.
    04-07-11 06:17 PM
    Those were probably two different questions I would presume, but I thought the exact same thing when I first read it
    04-07-11 06:18 PM
    I only had like a minute with it. It was my buddies buddy who works for RIM in Waterloo who had it and has been testing it for months. He let me hold it and mess with it a bit. He asked how I knew about it and I said CrackBerry, thats when he took it and said his job was too important to him for me to go start posting about it.
    The touch screen acted like an Android phone cause it vibrated a little haptic when I pressed an icon. He said that could be turned off. The screen was bright and looked good... better than the Bold 9000 my sister has. You won't be disappointed with the res of the screen, but I did not see any videos just went through the screens... touch was responsive and fluid, not as good as an iPhone but on par with Androids.
    04-07-11 06:44 PM
    For the physical size of the screen, the display is pretty high res.

Resolution (should) scale roughly with physical screen size.
    04-07-11 06:47 PM
    I only had like a minute with it. It was my buddies buddy who works for RIM in Waterloo who had it and has been testing it for months. He let me hold it and mess with it a bit. He asked how I knew about it and I said CrackBerry, thats when he took it and said his job was too important to him for me to go start posting about it.
    The touch screen acted like an Android phone cause it vibrated a little haptic when I pressed an icon. He said that could be turned off. The screen was bright and looked good... better than the Bold 9000 my sister has. You won't be disappointed with the res of the screen, but I did not see any videos just went through the screens... touch was responsive and fluid, not as good as an iPhone but on par with Androids.
    Glad to hear that the first thing you do is start posting about the phone to us not caring about the guys job at all :P haha
    You should have been like "I heard about this phone from uhh.. Android Central" and he would have been like "um wtf?" but let you continue to play with it :X

Maybe even drop it and be like "woops its broken" and he would have been like "no problem, got a bunch of these laying around, you can just have that broken POS" then you coulda finally came here and made a video of you reviewing it! GOD IF ONLY I WERE IN THE EXACT SAME SITUATION! :P

Man hearing this story makes me really wanna get a job with RIM, I would love to test phones! It would be hard to keep my mouth shut though :X haha
    Last edited by flip4life4751; 04-07-11 at 07:15 PM.
    04-07-11 07:10 PM
    I don't even know the guy... I just met him while I popped in at my buddies house for a beer. It was a total fluke, it was kinda cool to see it cause I only read about this stuff on here.
    I should have played dumb, but when he was showing it to my buddy I jumped in gawking and asking about it.
    I'm a Storm and Storm2 owner, so I tried to ask about the monaco and he just said I will be really impressed when I see it.
    I told my buddy to let me know next time this guy comes around.
    04-07-11 09:50 PM
    I know that I meant overall feel.
    04-07-11 10:34 PM
    I don't even know the guy... I just met him while I popped in at my buddies house for a beer. It was a total fluke, it was kinda cool to see it cause I only read about this stuff on here.
    I should have played dumb, but when he was showing it to my buddy I jumped in gawking and asking about it.
    I'm a Storm and Storm2 owner, so I tried to ask about the monaco and he just said I will be really impressed when I see it.
    I told my buddy to let me know next time this guy comes around.
    Very cool, The CrackBerry community really appreciates it buddy
    04-08-11 12:19 AM
    now how many dpi does the 9780 have ?

with very very small resolution..

=P
    04-09-11 04:24 AM
    Yeah, I would assume that the screen is going to be quite nice.. It's funny, when looking at pictures/demos of the phones that were just leaked, you can tell that the "touch" has the old cheap looking metal painted plastic and they did not decide to put in a 1.2ghz processor or as high memory as they decided on with the Bold Touch.. The Bold Touch with the semi aluminum looking bezel along with the touch screen and upgraded processor/memory/everything.. I feel as if this is going to be rims new "baby" so why would they upgrade everything so much but then leave the screen resolution/quality in the crapper.. I mean I'm no rocket scientist, but signs seem to point to yes, call me crazy if you want.
    The touch isn't going to have a 1.2 processor???
    04-09-11 08:10 AM
    It is 1.2 as well

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-13-11 07:07 AM
    what flip4life doesn't understand is, these are pre production models, so the cheap housings he sees won't be on the final product.

And the resolution isn't crappy, it jumped back to being great. Yes the iphone may have 'retina display' but if you think about it, if this was like training, they basically maxed out a stat and kept going. Should work on other things and improve them. My main concern will be battery life.

A guy before posted, its no secret why BB has great battery life. A wap browser, no touchscreen and average resolution.

With a webkit browser, stronger camera, touchscreen and a great resolution. Blackberrys will need to make use of that great new battery they are finally implementing.
    04-13-11 08:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD