I recently sold my Blackberry Bold 9930 to someone else since I had no need for it. I had unlocked it and used it with no problem with my carrier (ATT) and also I had used it while overseas with an Asian carrier with no problems.

The person that bought from me has T-mobile network. First he complained that it wasnt unlocked, which it was. Now he is saying that he cannot use the web browser. He said he spoke to T-Mobile and Blackberry and they are telling him that it is not compatible.

I was able to use it fine when I had it and had no problems. Is there something that isnt making him able to use the browser, or is he just doing something wrong.

I told him to make sure to select the GSM network not the EX one that verizon uses, but I am not sure if he even did that.

Any help would be appreciated
    12-27-11 10:14 AM
    Why anyone on a GSM network would buy a CDMA device is beyond me.

Anyway, it should have worked... although he will never be able to get 3G/4G on TMO using a 9930, just EDGE.
    12-27-11 10:19 AM
    My brother had the same issue with his Torch9850 from Sprint when he switched to TMO. He unlocked his phone before leaving Sprint but when he activated his TMO account he could only get voice service ans SMS, no data (MMS, internet, email). We've been on the phone with Sprint and TMO countless times but still couldn't make it work. Sprint claimed they unlocked the phone and released the PIN from their BIS and TMO said they pushed the service books to his phone. I tried re-installing the OS, restoring to factory default settings, nothing works and RIM is asking for $50 to troubleshoot but I doubt the guy in India knows what the problem is...
    On the other hand, a quick search of CB forums shows instances where people have succesfully used 9850 on TMO (2G data only, but still...).
    12-27-11 10:59 AM
    This is common for a CDMA Berry when using with another carrier's GSM card. Anything that uses data will "disappear." I forgot the method to enable the browser and data-related but you can look it up with google.

WARNING
    Tethering will not be allowed. I also pressume that hotsopt will not be allowed as well.
    12-27-11 12:26 PM
    My brother had the same issue with his Torch9850 from Sprint when he switched to TMO. He unlocked his phone before leaving Sprint but when he activated his TMO account he could only get voice service ans SMS, no data (MMS, internet, email). We've been on the phone with Sprint and TMO countless times but still couldn't make it work. Sprint claimed they unlocked the phone and released the PIN from their BIS and TMO said they pushed the service books to his phone. I tried re-installing the OS, restoring to factory default settings, nothing works and RIM is asking for $50 to troubleshoot but I doubt the guy in India knows what the problem is...
    On the other hand, a quick search of CB forums shows instances where people have succesfully used 9850 on TMO (2G data only, but still...).

I was using it on my carrier with no problem. I don't recall getting 3G service but I remember seeing the EDGE sign.

Is there anything that I can tell him to do or download that would resolve this problem.

I am seeing something about service books. How do you go on about updating the service books?
    12-27-11 12:26 PM
    I was using it on my carrier with no problem. I don't recall getting 3G service but I remember seeing the EDGE sign.

Is there anything that I can tell him to do or download that would resolve this problem.

I am seeing something about service books. How do you go on about updating the service books?
    You are totally right about service books. Now I remember =) just google "tmobile service book downloads"
    12-27-11 12:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD