Hey guys, I'm going to Japan for a study abroad program for 4 months and the program gives us a pre-paid SIM card, but in order to use it, the phone must be unlocked.

I'm planning on bringing my Bold 9930, but I need to unlock it first. The phone isn't connected to my Verizon account currently, I have an iPhone5 (which I will probably be taking as well - but if I could lower the amount I use my iPhone because of how costly international plans are by using the prepaid SIM from Japan, it would be great (and I don't care if I have to carry around 2 phones)).

I want to keep my iPhone5 'locked' to Verizon and not cause problems there, but considering I have the Bold 9930 and the phone is still in perfect working condition, I thought why not bring it along if it's only going to cost me a few yen while abroad. I've just never unlocked a phone before... how can I go about doing that?

Thanks guys, it's been too long! I've had the iPhone5 since it's release a year and a half ago, but I've definitely missed my Blackberry days and look forward to using my Bold again, even if it's in addition to my iPhone :P
    03-11-14 09:47 PM
    As first step call Verizon and tell them you're going to Japan and would like the Bold 9930 to be unlocked.
    03-12-14 01:26 AM
    03-12-14 01:29 AM