I have a Bold 9900 that dropped off my belt right into water this morning, completely under water. It was on at the time, and it appeared to still be working afterwards - I dried it off as best I could. About an hour after it happened I got something on the screen that I have never seen before - a horizontal hour glass with a red X through it. I tried a battery pull, but that didn't do anything to help. After putting the battery back in, it just started rebooting endlessly - it would go through the entire boot, but when it would try to get to the wireless network it would reboot.

I bought it through Rogers in August - no phone insurance (unfortunately). Right now it is sitting in a bag of rice with the battery pulled. I should have done this right away, but I didn't.

With the symptoms I describe, do you think I am screwed here? Also, I have my old Bold 9700 - is there a way I can reactivate it so if this one is dead, I at least have a phone?

Thanks,

Brian
    10-03-11 01:13 PM
    I read on here somewhere that the red X means bad battery. So since the battery went for a swim, it's probably shot. I hope your phone makes it, but you should have never tried to boot it back up until you knew for sure it's dry. Good Luck!
    10-03-11 01:16 PM
    Thanks FuzzyB. The battery did get wet as well. Could that stop it from booting all the way up?
    10-03-11 01:20 PM
    I think your battery is finished ...as for your BB Bold 9900, you should have never attempted to turn it back on after water contact, very risky

You should always pull the battery out, put it in a bag of rice right away, and hope for the best (let phone stay in bag for at least 3 days or more).
    That's all I can say right now...good luck.
    10-03-11 01:37 PM
    Seems like a common them today:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...et-but-656777/

Hope it works out for your badboy.
    10-03-11 01:41 PM
    If I have the SIM from the 9900, while it is in the baggie drying, is there a way to reactivate my old 9700 - including BBM?
    10-03-11 01:42 PM
    With the symptoms I describe, do you think I am screwed here? Also, I have my old Bold 9700 - is there a way I can reactivate it so if this one is dead, I at least have a phone?
    You can use your Bold 9700, just put the SIM card from your 9900 back into the 9700, go in and change the PIN in your BIS E-mail settings screen and you should be good to go. It should re-add all of your e-mail addresses, and you should be able to do a BBM Contact Restore once active (that is, if you did a remote BBM backup...)
    10-03-11 01:44 PM
    Thanks FuzzyB. The battery did get wet as well. Could that stop it from booting all the way up?
    Yes, it is possible. I would walk in to a mobile store and ask if you can use one of their batteries OR as a friend and check it out. It is possible that the battery is not giving the full out put capacity of power even though the voltage is right. Hope your phone is OK. I wish you all the best!
    10-03-11 01:45 PM
    Is there any way to move BBM to my old phone without having access to the BIS server? I don't have a password there - in order to do it, I would have to call Rogers (and I am trying not to!)

Thanks,

Brian
    10-03-11 04:10 PM
    Is there any way to move BBM to my old phone without having access to the BIS server? I don't have a password there - in order to do it, I would have to call Rogers (and I am trying not to!)

Thanks,

Brian
    What's wrong with calling Rogers?

I think We should all carry a bag of rice when we're out and about if something like this keeps happening, haha.
    10-03-11 05:06 PM
    Well, just an update - this morning, I tried putting the battery back in (after moving the SIM card back from my older 9700) - the phone powered up and connected to both the cell network and WiFi! I let it sit for a few days in a baggie of rice - that seems to have done the trick since it seems to be working now. I tried making calls, receiving calls, using the mic, and sending BBM - everything seems to be fine. I have it charging right now.

This is one tough phone!
    10-06-11 08:45 AM
    Well, just an update - this morning, I tried putting the battery back in (after moving the SIM card back from my older 9700) - the phone powered up and connected to both the cell network and WiFi! I let it sit for a few days in a baggie of rice - that seems to have done the trick since it seems to be working now. I tried making calls, receiving calls, using the mic, and sending BBM - everything seems to be fine. I have it charging right now.

This is one tough phone!
    Dayum dude you are one lucky lucky fella..good to see your phone is back up and running and it does seem like the 9900 is bulletproof although i wont be dropping mine anytime into water etc lol.
    10-06-11 08:53 AM
    Well, to be honest, dropping it at all again, especially into something like water, isn't really high on my to do list!
    10-06-11 08:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD