Are there any easy ways in which one can save any stuff without device password? If you can actually use the phone, then all the contacts, videos etc are available and you could presumably email them somewhere. Tedious, but viable.
    01-31-12 05:38 PM
    Put the password for your Blackberry in your backup Blackberry's password keeper. lmao
    01-31-12 11:33 PM
    I WAS putting the correct password in as its a password that i use often elsewhere and it just would not accept it! :O((( So now its wiped everything AND I didnt know anything about backing up to a desktop manager? What do I do now? as in -- how do I go in and reset the password ? ARRRRRGGGHHHH! its just come back on with absolutely NOTHING of mine on it - no email accounts - no BBcontacts - no NOTHING. Surely it should only be locked NOT deleted! If it was stolen you should just be able to phone up to get it stopped.. since I reckon it would be more frequent for password retrieval than for being nicked! NOT HAPPY. as I WAS putting the right one in -- every time --but it wasnt recognising it and I just thought that the 10th go meant it would restart and reset more password attempts!!!! (new to BBerry and would not have bought this if I had known.
    02-28-12 04:16 PM
    I WAS putting the correct password in as its a password that i use often elsewhere and it just would not accept it! :O((( So now its wiped everything AND I didnt know anything about backing up to a desktop manager? What do I do now? as in -- how do I go in and reset the password ? ARRRRRGGGHHHH! its just come back on with absolutely NOTHING of mine on it - no email accounts - no BBcontacts - no NOTHING. Surely it should only be locked NOT deleted! If it was stolen you should just be able to phone up to get it stopped.. since I reckon it would be more frequent for password retrieval than for being nicked! NOT HAPPY. as I WAS putting the right one in -- every time --but it wasnt recognising it and I just thought that the 10th go meant it would restart and reset more password attempts!!!! (new to BBerry and would not have bought this if I had known.
    BULL. Before the 10th attempt, it gives you a clear and unmistakable warning that the device will be wiped and all user data will be permanently erased if you try one more time. And how many times might you enter the same incorrect password thinking it might just all of a sudden work? I hope the person you stole that BB from reports it stolen and you get caught.
    02-28-12 04:26 PM
    You were entering the incorrect password. That's why it wiped. Yes, the data is gone. The wipe will have reset your device to factory settings, including password. So your device is now not password protected and is freshly reset.

Start putting your data back onto your device and take it as a hard lesson learned. Backup your device data using either Desktop Manager, BlackBerry Protect, Google Sync or all of them.

BACK UP YOUR DATA REGULARLY.

You may have inadvertently set your device password incorrectly in the first place. Since you are only shown ******** when you set your password, it is possible you had the alt key depressed or not. When you do this you are using numbers instead of letters and vise versa.

The wiping of device data after incorrect password attempts is a great security feature of BlackBerry. Otherwise, it would not be as secure.
    02-28-12 04:30 PM
    You may have inadvertently set your device password incorrectly in the first place. Since you are only shown ******** when you set your password, it is possible you had the alt key depressed or not. When you do this you are using numbers instead of letters and vise versa.
    You have to enter it twice to set the password.
    02-28-12 04:32 PM
    Yes, but you still, only see ******. So you could be using the alt and not realize. There's tons of threads about this.
    02-28-12 04:33 PM
    But making the same mistake twice? And for this scenario to be true, they have either never put their berry down for more than the pw lock timeout since setting the pw or it happened the first time it locked after setting the pw. We'll just agree to disagree - I just will never believe anyone that says they set the pw, have been using the pw successfully then all of a sudden they can't remember their pw or can't enter it correctly in 10 tries.
    02-28-12 04:40 PM
    Yup. If you do a forum search you'll see it happens quite often. Don't ask me why. Just does. Here is a few of MANY:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...please-569595/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ssword-538413/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...estion-416039/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...gnized-329103/

So either all those thread makers forgot their passwords or, more likely, they set up the password incorrectly to begin with. I suppose it could be either.

I think it is most likely the are entering "1234" when they mean to be entering "wert" for example.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 02-28-12 at 05:04 PM.
    02-28-12 04:45 PM
    If it does happen, then wouldn't they have a problem unlocking the phone the very next time it locks? Unless that's the case, I'm not buying it. I've just seen too many of these "forgot my password and wiped my device by accident" stories. I mean, it gives you a big warning before the last attempt. If the user doesn't read that warning after entering the wrong pw 9 times, it's their own fault and deserve to have their bb wiped.
    02-28-12 04:50 PM
    Lol. Yeah, it is their own fault I agree. Not making a back up is unacceptable! If you don't buy that theory, then lots of people have sudden memory loss! They're both kinda unbelievable! Ha.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 02-28-12 at 05:05 PM.
    02-28-12 05:03 PM
    There appears to be a bug in the password software. We've just had a 9790 wipe after failing password entry. First 2 were wrong as someone messing about trying to hack into phone, tried proper password 5 mins later, asked me to type in the word blackberry (3rd attempt)... Then 4th to 6th attempt all correct password (been used many many times) all rejected and phone then wiped.

So... There is definitely something amiss with the password feature..this is on latest software updated last night
    03-29-12 09:02 AM
    Im pretty sure I was entering the right password, but I could be wrong. But I guess im going to definitely go with a 3rd party locking app, what do you recommend?
    Nothing works better than the stock program. The whole secret is you GOT to remember the password. Not maybe.
    03-29-12 09:36 AM
    In our case the password was remembered, same one used on lots of devices, there is definitely something not 100% with the lock if you have a couple of deliberate failed attempts
    03-29-12 10:32 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD