This is my first blackberry, I have the bold 9930. I didn't know that after the set amount of password attempts the phone automaticly wipes it, unbelievable. I think thats ridiculous, is there any way to set this off where it does not WIPE my phone after the password attempts are up? Can't it just stay locked until i guess the right password?
    10-20-11 03:48 PM
    The point of that is to prevent someone from brute forcing your password if the device is lost/stolen. Don't use the native password if you don't want that, just get a 3rd party locking app.
    10-20-11 03:51 PM
    Why would you have such problems remembering your phone password? The security wipe feature is there for a reason. You cannot disable it; you'll have to disable the password all together.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-11 03:51 PM
    That's a security feature of the phone. You shouldn't have to guess your password - either write it down or make it something you won't forget.
    10-20-11 03:52 PM
    There are alternative free third party locking apps that are available and won't have the wipe restrictions. Try searching in App World for "lock". Some of them even have a pattern you can set to unlock your phone with the touch screen.
    10-20-11 03:57 PM
    Im pretty sure I was entering the right password, but I could be wrong. But I guess im going to definitely go with a 3rd party locking app, what do you recommend?
    10-20-11 03:59 PM
    Sorry to hear this. The purpose is to secure your info. One thing you can do is use the desktop manager and back-up your stuff weekly. If this happens again you can get your stuff back and it copies everything to include your fonts.
    If you get to the point that you are at 7 of 10 pw attempts just reset your password.

FYI, if you use an eight character password with UC and LC and Numbers it would take a computer about 6 months to crack your code. More than enough time for you to go to the BlackBerry website and wipe your phone, post a reward on the screen, and see where it is on a map.
    10-20-11 04:22 PM
    There are alternative free third party locking apps that are available and won't have the wipe restrictions. Try searching in App World for "lock". Some of them even have a pattern you can set to unlock your phone with the touch screen.
    Ok what are these called? which ones you recommend?
    10-20-11 04:24 PM
    Ok what are these called? which ones you recommend?
    Did you look at App World? Just get one you want.

Or simply remember your password and use what you have.
    10-20-11 04:50 PM
    Did you not see the popup warning before the last attempt that states all information will be erased? Did it not occur to you that it was counting the attempts with a maximum number of allowed attempts displayed, and that getting to that limit might not work out well for you?
    ridesno159, Spawn12 and Mystic205 like this.
    10-20-11 04:52 PM
    Did you not see the popup warning before the last attempt that states all information will be erased? Did it not occur to you that it was counting the attempts with a maximum number of allowed attempts displayed, and that getting to that limit might not work out well for you?
    I think after the second or third attempt, I'd be asking myself wtf I was doing wrong.
    10-20-11 04:57 PM
    Did you backup your device data with either Desktop Manager or BlackBerry Protect?
    10-20-11 05:15 PM
    It's this OP's first Blackberry, so I'm sure a lot of it is new to him/her.

@PDBaby: Try A+ Pattern Lock or A+ Lock For Apps if you want to get app specific. See if you like them. There are a few other free ones. They should come up when you search in App World.

Like other posters have said, backup regularly to your Blackberry Desktop Manager software, you can set it to do it automatically when you plug it into your computer.

Also configure Blackberry Protect to backup your contacts and a few other things.
    10-20-11 05:37 PM
    Cut the OP a little slack it's his first BB..lol Welcome Just write down your password next time Also, do a backup with DM or start BlackBerry Protect.
    10-20-11 05:56 PM
    Yeah, ok. If you can't remember your BB device password and have to write it down, then you aren't using your BB enough! Get to it!
    10-20-11 06:07 PM
    This is my first blackberry, I have the bold 9930. I didn't know that after the set amount of password attempts the phone automaticly wipes it, unbelievable. I think thats ridiculous, is there any way to set this off where it does not WIPE my phone after the password attempts are up?
    Thats like saying "i want a alarm on my car, but after the robber done broke my window n hot wire my car i wouldn't want my alarm to be so loud because, it might wake my kids "

and thats not bashing its common sense.. lets say your phone really got stolen, would you like the robber to have all ur info ?
    10-20-11 06:19 PM
    So someone steals a BB and uses this Forum to help him get into it? Wow, the NERVE!
    10-21-11 08:30 AM
    hrmmmmm doesn't it tell you that your phone will be wiped after the last attempt? you won't be saying it's ridiculous if ur BB gets stolen and people cannot access your personal information

either way...

try pattern lock, they have a free version

and make sur eu have BB protect running to back up your data..

and backup your phone on desktop manager at least once every 2 weeks as this saves ALLLLL Settings not just data.

sorry that happened to you, but i guess it;s a tough lesson to learn..

PS welcome to BLACKBERRY : >
    Last edited by knowledge_6; 10-21-11 at 09:01 AM.
    10-21-11 08:50 AM
    Sorry to be a bit late to this party, but surely if you've forgotten your device password, it's too late to backup the device?
    01-29-12 01:15 PM
    Sorry to be a bit late to this party, but surely if you've forgotten your device password, it's too late to backup the device?
    Pretty sure the op isn't still waiting for an answer. Anyhow, you can't access the media card without the password.
    01-29-12 01:18 PM
    Im pretty sure I was entering the right password, but I could be wrong. But I guess im going to definitely go with a 3rd party locking app, what do you recommend?
    You do not need another app. You just need to remember your password. If you can not make remember a single password or write it down in a secure place then . . . . .
    01-29-12 01:32 PM
    Look at the bright side...at least now you know how to wipe your device.
    01-29-12 06:08 PM
    Harsh! I remember this has only happened to me once. I locked my 9900 with a password, come out of shower and tried unlocking my phone but couldn't remember the password lol

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-29-12 06:21 PM
    Yeah, ok. If you can't remember your BB device password and have to write it down, then you aren't using your BB enough! Get to it!
    Or it could mean he's using it so much that he never ever needs to lock it, and when he suddenly gets the odd second or two when he realises his bb addiction is sucking the life out of him, and thus, locks it...... alas! Password has been forgotten.
    01-29-12 07:02 PM
    That's what Blackberry's do. What is worse, the BB doing what it is supposed to or you forgetting your password. Hope you have a backup! But I will bet anyone here $100 bucks it never happens to you again!
    01-29-12 08:16 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD