I have no idea what has suddenly happened but over the last 2 days, but my battery has drained at an alarming rate.

I have battery trends switched on. I have gone from somewhere around 3% per hour when not doing very much with my phone (switched on but mainly in holster, check a few emails, send a few texts) to 7% per hour - listening to music, reading kindle, surfing net.

Last two days it been draining at between 10 to 15% each hour, when not doing very much; between 1000 and 1100 today I was working with rubber gloves on and my phone in my pocket, so I know it was doing very little, yet the battery was draining at 12%.

From the trends analyser:
    Battery
    Drain (High) 12%/hr
    Charge 0%
    Average 60.99%

General
    Backlight 0%
    Bluetooth 0%
    Phone usage 0%

Modules
    Average No 61
    Processes 61
    Total CPU 4.49%
    Highest CPU tie:
    net_rim_bb_ribbon_app 0.68%
    net_rim_io_impl 0.68%
    net_rim__services_impl 0.65%
    net_rim_bb_phone _app 0.51%
    net_rim_bb_device_analyzer_lib 0.39%

SMS _ 1 sent

Media
    Audio and video 0%

Radio
    WLAN usage 0%
    Mobile network usage 25.73%

Anyone got any ideas what the problem is?

I'm charging it now, but this is worrying me. I'll swap my battery over later and see if that makes a difference.

I have, as a usual running state, done all the usual things to preserve battery life - backlight at 10%, timeout at 45 seconds, bluetooth off, wifi off unless in wifi area, 3G only (not 2G/3G), GPS off, kept in BB wallet, I always check and exit unused apps (maybe not kindle all the time, but everything else), don't have apps that refresh regularly (no twitter or weather apps).

HELP !!??!!
    Last edited by whitbags; 08-21-12 at 08:34 AM.
    08-21-12 08:31 AM
    All things being equal something had to change.....i take it you are running the latest os .have u tried keeping the battery out for a while then putting it back in, also as crazy as this sounds have you tried not using your holster,i heard of issues with the holster and battery issues........network coverage ???....lastly although a pain try wipe and reload your os ......
    08-21-12 09:26 AM
    Could be your signal strength.
    08-21-12 09:26 AM
    VZW told me once that when u do a battery pull it is a good idea to leave out for a minute and also to keep pressing the keys. She told me that this will get all static out of the phone and I guess help the battery to be cleaner. Hope it helps you.
    08-21-12 09:54 AM
    Remove the Visual Voicemail App will help to limit battery drain. My phone is on 7.1.267 OS
    08-21-12 08:11 PM
    Are you running the Blackberry Application Resource Monitor? It should kill apps that are draining in the background and let you know.
    08-21-12 08:52 PM
    Remove the Visual Voicemail App will help to limit battery drain. My phone is on 7.1.267 OS
    That shouldn't matter. I use VVM and get 2-3% all the time.
    08-21-12 08:53 PM
    Not sure who your provider is but everyone I know on AT&T be it blackberry or android was suffering from battery drain resulting from signal issues today and this evening.
    08-22-12 02:11 AM
    Are you running the Blackberry Application Resource Monitor? It should kill apps that are draining in the background and let you know.
    Where do you find that in the menu? I tried a search from the home screen and came up with nothing useful.

Thanks.
    08-22-12 03:43 PM
    Not sure who your provider is but everyone I know on AT&T be it blackberry or android was suffering from battery drain resulting from signal issues today and this evening.
    O2 in the UK.
    08-22-12 03:47 PM
    Where do you find that in the menu? I tried a search from the home screen and came up with nothing useful.

Thanks.
    Application Resource Monitor has only been available in the later OS releases. You will find it under "Options - Device". Then just enable it.

If I remember rightly, it's in 523, 569 and the new leaked 649.
    08-22-12 03:53 PM
    I installed the new update on my 9930 on Monday. Yesterday, (tuesday) noticed the little graph icon which I gather was the resource monitor. At that time I opened it up and looked at each of the 4 entries and then closed it. I've not seen any sign of it since - I only looked at the displayed results. Is there a way back into it and for _ME_ to do something active?

Using Universal Search I found the app but I only see two options, Enable it and Auto-shut down "bad" apps.

Any more info on how it works?

Thanks in advance.
    08-22-12 04:56 PM
    The graph is the device analyzer. The resource monitor doesn't have a graph. It monitors applications running in the background and automatically closes them and leaves a notification when that occurs. If that keeps happening with a particular app then you know it uses battery in the background.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-22-12 04:57 PM
    Looks like it was the battery itself. I swapped in my spare, and I'm back to normal - got 2 days out of it this weekend when I forgot to charge it on Saturday night, so took me from Saturday morning through to Sunday night.
    08-27-12 04:10 PM
    Looks like it was the battery itself. I swapped in my spare, and I'm back to normal - got 2 days out of it this weekend when I forgot to charge it on Saturday night, so took me from Saturday morning through to Sunday night.
    Maybe, maybe not. What OS version are you running? Don't be surprised if your rapid battery drain returns. I have had inexplicable periods of rapid battery drain ever since I bought this phone. See my recent experience here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...signal-742128/

And my previous but more detailed thread here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...00/index3.html

I'd be interested to know if this goes away for you permanently, so please come back to report. If you watch your battery on a regular basis, I think 3 weeks or so of watching would be enough to convince me your issue is gone. I get rapid drains every few days on average. A reboot fixes the problem temporarily each time.
    08-27-12 04:25 PM
    Every so often (no more than once a month at the most) run the battery down to 15% or so and then recharge for a good eight hours. I think you'll like what you see. You'll also re-calibrate the battery gauge.
    08-27-12 08:48 PM
    .lastly although a pain try wipe and reload your os
    Last edited by Blackburn023; 08-27-12 at 09:39 PM.
    08-27-12 09:31 PM
    .lastly although a pain try wipe and reload your os Click to view quoted image
    Done, many times.
    08-28-12 12:16 AM
    Every so often (no more than once a month at the most) run the battery down to 15% or so and then recharge for a good eight hours. I think you'll like what you see. You'll also re-calibrate the battery gauge.
    I have to try this sometime.
    08-28-12 12:16 AM
    Maybe, maybe not. What OS version are you running? Don't be surprised if your rapid battery drain returns. I have had inexplicable periods of rapid battery drain ever since I bought this phone. See my recent experience here:

I'd be interested to know if this goes away for you permanently, so please come back to report. If you watch your battery on a regular basis, I think 3 weeks or so of watching would be enough to convince me your issue is gone. I get rapid drains every few days on average. A reboot fixes the problem temporarily each time.
    Try reading this thread and it just might solve your battery draining woes, i have found my peace with my device post this ; http://forums.crackberry.com/hybrid-...evices-736988/
    Last edited by maxx71; 08-28-12 at 12:52 AM.
    08-28-12 12:50 AM
    Have you looked at your application panel to see which app is monopolizing your CPU?
    08-28-12 01:41 AM
    Have you looked at your application panel to see which app is monopolizing your CPU?
    I assume you're not replying to me?
    08-28-12 02:13 AM

I swapped my 'suspect battery' back in 2 days ago and immediately saw discharge at 6%/hr whilst doing nothing. Swapped back to the other battery and all was well again...

.. until just now. I've not been using the phone heavily, just a few emails and with Kindle in the background, and discharge is again at 6%.

Hmmm. I wonder if Kindle is the culprit?
    08-30-12 02:03 PM
    I swapped my 'suspect battery' back in 2 days ago and immediately saw discharge at 6%/hr whilst doing nothing. Swapped back to the other battery and all was well again...

.. until just now. I've not been using the phone heavily, just a few emails and with Kindle in the background, and discharge is again at 6%.

Hmmm. I wonder if Kindle is the culprit?
    Well heck, maybe something will come of this....

What other apps do you have? I'll compare to mine and see if there is something in common (I don't have Kindle).
    08-30-12 02:06 PM
    Hi folks. I'm not sure if anyone can shed any light on my battery woes, or even just confirm it's not unusual to help preserve my sanity.

I've got a 9900 running 7.1.0.649, with a new Mugen(?) 1500w battery. This afternoon I was on the train, browsing the web from my PlayBook, replying to a few SMSs and a ten minute call...my battery drain was 33% in one hour!! Surely that can't be normal?

I took some screenshots of the device analyser battery output which doesn't show anything I can see that would explain that.

Any suggestions gratefully received. I hoped having a spare battery would at least get me through a day, but this is ridiculous.
    08-30-12 02:47 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD