Hi y'all!

I'm a new BB user (switched from an ancient iPhone 3G) and I got myself a 9900 slightly more than a week ago, and the battery heat and drain problem is insane. My battery would constantly heat up when it's just sitting there or in my pocket, and the phone dies in 5 hours.

I've been reading through some posts here and checked the event log, and today right when I feel the heat I checked it out, and it's completely occupied by all sorts of net.rim activities, around 3-4 entries per second. Do any of you have an idea what's going on? Is that the reason why it's heating up? I have some screen protectors coming in soon and I don't want to apply it onto this phone if it's actually something wrong with it...
    10-28-11 06:55 PM
    I don't personally know what net.rim is but I can speak for the battery issue where as if you are receiving radiating heat that much that you actually feel it in your pocket and then a drain that fast then something is wrong for sure with your phone much less about this net.rim thing.

As much as I detest carrier tech support I would call them to see if they have heard of this and if not and you are still constantly getting this problem I would take it back and exchange it. It would help when you walked into the store of you can duplicate your problem of the heat for them. Good luck to you.
    10-28-11 07:09 PM
    Have u tried upgrading the OS to .439 or .4? If not maybe give that a try, and if the battery still gets super hot I think you need to return it for a new battery.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-28-11 08:14 PM
    What have you installed on your device recently?
    10-28-11 08:19 PM
    Take it back to your carrier and exchange for brand new!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-11 08:28 PM
    Thanks for all the replies! It does seem like I should take it back to the carrier (Mobilicity here in Vancouver).

And yes, I've upgraded to .440 a few days after I bought the phone hoping that the drain would be better, but it just stuck. And regarding apps... I just installed the two free (but useless) apps offered by RIM, and also a few more all from the AppStore.

BTW, I've read I should maybe try wiping the phone and start over. Can anyone gimme a clue on how to do that?

Thanks again!
    10-29-11 02:06 AM
    So.. I've gone back to the carrier and brought the problem up. The manager there was using the same phone, and said he has the same problem too and that it's a software problem and I should wait for a new firmware. And then I left.

Did I do something very stupid???
    10-30-11 01:06 AM
    Sounds like he's avoiding doing a swap. I'm on .440 and have no battery heat up and drain, after coming over from a Galaxy S2 it seems amazing.

As for upgrading this is the thread I used and everything went fine,apologies that it is from another forum

http://bbmatrixforums.net/viewtopic.php
    10-30-11 02:39 AM
    I've been reading through some posts here and checked the event log, and today right when I feel the heat I checked it out, and it's completely occupied by all sorts of net.rim activities, around 3-4 entries per second. Do any of you have an idea what's going on? Is that the reason why it's heating up? I have some screen protectors coming in soon and I don't want to apply it onto this phone if it's actually something wrong with it...
    You should not have net.rim stuff this is an internal name that you should not see. You should see names like Home Screen, Options, Setup, Phone, etc. If you have net.rim stuff I suspect you did uninstall a software and it left few modules on the phone. Do a full backup. Wipe the phone including apps. Reload the OS selecting only the apps you need. And restore.

About the battery life, do you social network a lot? Did you disable the Locations Services? Did you try 2G only?

So.. I've gone back to the carrier and brought the problem up. The manager there was using the same phone, and said he has the same problem too and that it's a software problem and I should wait for a new firmware. And then I left.

Did I do something very stupid???
    This is not a good way to take care of customers. He should have called the tech support to confirm. They should have checked your OS version at the very least.
    Last edited by lostOzone; 10-30-11 at 06:40 AM.
    10-30-11 06:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD