So tonight my 9930 bricked itself once again. This is the third time in as many months that my beloved technologically advanced and reliable phone has erased itself from the face of the earth. And I believe the culprit could be too many texts. Yes, you read that right. Too many texts.

Why would I come to that conclusion? For one, I don't have a single 3rd party software on my 9930. All the software on my phone was loaded by BB/Sprint before I opened the cardboard box it shipped in. I store all my pictures/video on my memory card and retain less than 500 emails (I can actually erase old emails according to date, UNLIKE texts where you have to erase ONE AT A TIME OR THE ENTIRE THREAD). I was using less than 15% of the available memory on the phone. I (miraculously), have never dropped my phone or gotten it wet.

The only problem I have is that it slows to a craaaaaawl when receiving texts... apparently because I am mad texter. At least some of the BB fanboys will say that... and that texting as much as I do and NOT constantly erasing (often important) text threads will literally blow up my phone. Bricked, blown up, all pretty much the same, sans some smoke and flames. It's dead.

Not only is it dead, I can't do a thing to revive it. Desktop manager? Nope, it doesn't even know how to connect to it. I actually have to drive the thing down to a Sprint store, wait who knows how long to have someone look at it, then tell me it needs to be reset to factory condition because of a corrupt file. Either that, or buy a new phone. Lucky thing this phone is only 4 months old... otherwise I would be hit with a tech repair bill to revive a problem 100% attributable to poor engineering. How would that be for a slap to your face?

So were the fanboys right? Can too much texting and too many stored texts brick your pretty Touch? I think they were right.

As a faithful BB owner for over 7 years, I can officially say Thank You, Blackberry. You have officially released the most unreliable POS phone to date. It's no wonder RIM's stock is down 90% from its high... and at a dismal 7-year low. With products like this, I'm surprised people still own them.
    Last edited by pj737; 11-15-11 at 04:15 AM.
    Chrisy likes this.
    11-15-11 03:49 AM
    Look elsewhere. I have a Sprint 9930 and I have texts going back as far as you can imagine (they've been restored from backup every time i upgrade my phone or OS version) and I have not had the brick issue...
    11-15-11 04:30 AM
    Look elsewhere. I have a Sprint 9930 and I have texts going back as far as you can imagine (they've been restored from backup every time i upgrade my phone or OS version) and I have not had the brick issue...
    Does texting freeze your phone? What is the total number of texts stored? My phone bricks itself ONLY when texting. Happened 3 times.

Nobody really knows that causes a 9900/9930 to brick itself (it could be a multitude of things), but I can tell you with 100% certainty that my 9930 bricks itself ONLY when texting.
    11-15-11 05:01 AM
    You are right by saying this is the most unreliable blackberry of all time. It is not the most unreliable blackberry of all time, it is the most unreliable mobile phone of all time.

I have been using mobile phones since the first ones that were to heavy, I have nokia, qualcomm, blackberry, iphone, amd never ever I have a phone that bricks itself and you can do nothing to fix it.

The most amazing thing here is that there is no way that you can fix it, this tell me that the issue could it be releated to hardware, and if it is hardware Blackberry is in trouble, imagine recalling thousands of phones all over the world, that could be very bad for a company that is in trouble right now.

Maybe this is why they don't want to accept that their phones have problems.

* My old blackberry pearl still works without issues, I think it is over 6 years older or more. One time I have seen the red led light and it wont turn on but I could fix it by connecting desktop manager.

With the bold 9900 I have try a lot of things and nothing is working.

I have also the first iphone version that was locked to att and in that time you need to enter a lot of commands to unlock it, it never bricked, or I have never have a single problem of not bring it to life after trying to unlock it.

How could blackberry release a defective phone to the world, how they want to sell more mobile phones if they brick itself at night?
    11-15-11 05:06 AM
    I forget to tell you that I am in my second bricked phone.

Today I will go for other one, I will keep going because RIM don't want to release a fix or told about this issue.

I have one year of warranty and it is going to be interesting to see how many blackberry bold 9900 I am going to have.
    11-15-11 05:09 AM
    You are right by saying this is the most unreliable blackberry of all time. It is not the most unreliable blackberry of all time, it is the most unreliable mobile phone of all time.
    Good point. I have never had a phone that randomly and unexpectedly failed (due to problems inherent with the phone) and could not be revived without bringing into a store for a replacement.

Definitely a first for me... and I've been using cell phones (been through at least 10 models) for over 20 years.
    11-15-11 06:15 AM
    Sorry, if everyone was having the same issue (been bricked) then saying its the most unreliable phone ever is justified.

But you only have to look at iPhone, android, nokia forums to see that they have their fair share of bricking issues.

Me.... ive had no issues at all....my first 9900 even worked underwater...... ;-)

S.

PS, since I, and thousands, maybe millions of others have had no issues, I reckon we could call it the MOST RELIABLE phone ever.... well, thats the reasoning your using.

PPS. Most people use the forums to whinge, or to solve a problem, hence why a high proportion of threads are 'my BB/iPhone etc is broke'. People very rarely take time out of their day to go to a forum and say 'just thought id waste 10 minutes telling you how wonderfull and issue free my phone is today. I used it to make 10 calls, 100 texts and BBM and it still works'

;-)
    crackberryangie likes this.
    11-15-11 07:28 AM
    Thread added to list
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...hreads-668265/

Thanks.
    11-15-11 07:31 AM
    In no way you can compare the iphone to the bold 9900 bricking issue.

I always can fix an iphone if it looks bricked but the bold 9900 is dead, I can't fix it, there iw no way to do it.
    11-15-11 08:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD