man, you take crappy pictures. it must be user error mine takes great pictures and i have yet to have one come out blurred. my 9650 (with AF) was very hit and miss with the focus.

fyi...the device is out. plenty of people have already posted pics, including pics of text. if you need help using the camera, i am sure plenty of people will jump in and give you tips.
    Sorry, I have a 9900 and I don't care about close up pics so much since I don't use it in my daily life. I wouldn't be bashing my own device, but there is no user error involved here.

Today, I tried taking close up pics of text from a magazine, my hand was stable as a rock, tried Image Stablization On AND Off didn't help, tried moving away a bit and using the digital zoom with no luck.

The image was readable somehow, but not even close to the older AF Cameras.

Let's not hide it, let's face it. The camera sucks in close ups and I don't care! How is that for some honesty?
    08-18-11 11:26 PM
    I'll try those things - have you been able to create a PDF on your 9900 yet that you could post?
    Oh now I haven't bothered to move the PDF Scanner license since they clearly wold me it wouldn't help

I will install the demo right now and try

Stand by please
    08-18-11 11:27 PM
    its a good start. but i don't think the camera sucks. that is just a misguided statement. most users do not take close ups. for most people, the camera is fine. i use it for my business and it is working as good as my 9650....and my droid charge. although the droid charge does take a little better pics in low light situations.

lighting is just as important as focus when it comes to taking pictures.
    08-18-11 11:30 PM
    Pump it up to 50 plus lines and around a dozen or so air cards and yer there.....
    ...I'm afraid they will not let you mutate the family plan into a business account.
    ...You could always try however.
    Lol, I expected as much. Thanks for saving me the time of looking it up though

9930 looks sick, I can't wait to go play with one in store.
    08-18-11 11:33 PM
    Oh now I haven't bothered to move the PDF Scanner license since they clearly wold me it wouldn't help

I will install the demo right now and try

Stand by please
    The ultimate pdf scanner is free and is on the Blackberry App world.
    08-18-11 11:33 PM
    The ultimate pdf scanner is free and is on the Blackberry App world.
    Thanks man, I hadn't seen that app.
    Link for anyone else who wants it: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst.../46683?lang=en
    08-18-11 11:35 PM
    Thanks man, I hadn't seen that app.
    Link for anyone else who wants it: Free PDF Creator Ultimate Free - Download PDF Creator Ultimate Free - Free Apps from BlackBerry App World
    No problem my fellow Crackberry-ITE...
    ...It's what I use on my 9650.
    SCrid2000 likes this.
    08-18-11 11:40 PM
    I kept my hand as stable as possible. The images were resized to 37% of the original, and to 45% on the 3rd pic to make them properly viewable on the forums

When @ 100 percent, they look washed out.

Using PDF Scanner:

1)

2)

3)
    Last edited by technology-fanboy; 08-18-11 at 11:45 PM.
    08-18-11 11:43 PM
    i thought you didn't need the camera for close ups?
    08-18-11 11:48 PM
    i thought you didn't need the camera for close ups?
    I don't *need* them. I never needed them on my 9780 too. I just bought the application as it was very handy, you never know when you need it.

Python asked me to post some images, so I posted them. What's your problem?
    08-18-11 11:50 PM
    python is beating a dead horse. the camera doesn't do that well for close ups of text. we all know that. other than that, the camera does really well. this thread is a set up to bash the camera again. the phone is out on a number of carriers so people can see that for themselves.

do we really need a review for this?
    chaseh140 likes this.
    08-18-11 11:57 PM
    Thanks for the photo, I hate it when people start accusing members of not actually having a device and ask for photos. But at least you slammed it right in his face
    Wasn't what I meant at all but at least he understood my intent.

Anyways, thanks for the pic . First time seeing a Sprint 9930 live. I got a SERO account just to get one.
    08-18-11 11:59 PM
    python is beating a dead horse. the camera doesn't do that well for close ups of text. we all know that. other than that, the camera does really well. this thread is a set up to bash the camera again. the phone is out on a number of carriers so people can see that for themselves.

do we really need a review for this?
    So he's beating a dead horse, right, we know that won't change the fact that the camera doesn't do well in close ups. But why are YOU always popping up in these threads if you don't like the whole topic? Why do you insist to oppose everything he says as if you have manufactured the 9900 / 9930 or something?

Leave the guy alone and let him express his feelings, more over, the facts!

You are not obliged to reply, there are 100s of threads in the 9900 forum alone talking about other things! Go there!

I don't know the guy, but have seen his many posts, and I respect him for standing up to what he thinks is right, and not defending RIM Blindly.

Heck I agree with him on everything. and I just went out and bought the 9900 yesterday knowing the facts.

Because my business does not require me to take close up pics of anything. I am loving every bit of my 9900. Does that mean the camera is good? NO! I just don't care, and so do others who are defending RIM.

I on the other hand, do not defend them for this mistake.
    Last edited by technology-fanboy; 08-19-11 at 12:09 AM.
    pythons likes this.
    08-19-11 12:05 AM
    twins...how amusing. funny how the other day YOU hijacked someone's thread and now the shoe is on the other foot. lets keep it on topic, shall we?
    08-19-11 12:07 AM
    Yes, keep it on topic. And stop the name calling (which has now been deleted).
    08-19-11 12:25 AM
    i will let your mr pampers remark slide out of pity. you are an adjuster. thats a hard job that i certainly couldn't do and wouldn't want to do. so we'll leave it at that.
    I'm a compliance guy / I.T. guy who also does damage reports ( which require) functional pictures...
    ...Back when the economy was solid I did much less but as I'm sure many others here have also experienced.
    ...When things get thin you jump at the chance to do other things to keep from being identified as FAT.

Over the last three years I've watch even some people that I didn't consider fat get trimmed off the company cut...
    ..Out of respect for the people I work for and the need to support my Family I've done anything anyone didn't want to do.

and the only thing i disagree with you is that i don't think the majority of 9930/9900 users will complain about the camera. you seem to think it should be built for you and don't understand the engineering that goes into these type decisions.
    You very well could be right there - I would be what many would consider mainly a business user.....
    ...I have FB but don't use it on my phone because I would feel compelled to use it if I found out via it a friend was having a rough day.
    ...And I've attended meetings where the problem of people using FB outside of company networking is spoken of in a negative light.

i wish the phone had 4G. i think that is far more important than AF on the camera...but that's just me. that would be a huge help to my business. but i am happy with the phone for now and it will make a great 1 year phone, once i grab a 4g mifi to juice it up.

And you can always stick with your 9650. I have one i am giving away tomorrow.
    For a short time I had a 4g Droid EVO and yes, it's very fast. I can appreciate that ability could help make your life easier and RIM should put it in and allow the user to simply switch it on or off.

I don't like the idea of learning a new u.i. and that's most of my problem....
    ...I've always liked the BB U.I. and for a business smartphone BB was the best one for what I do.

I'm just gunning for the device to take functional pictures of what I mostly shoot - and if I can make this device work I would certainly get it. I know the pdf scanners are ranked among the most popular apps for blackberries and that tell me that more people who use their phones for business use this application. Agreed, that RIM could very well be going after a different group of users who don't need this ability.

I for sure will stick with my 9650 until the price comes down to reality level...
    ..As for as giving your 9650 away unless it's to family or charity you could at least get 40 bucks for it.

If I lived close to you I would give you 40.00 for it!
    Last edited by pythons; 08-19-11 at 12:48 AM.
    08-19-11 12:43 AM
    giving the bold to a family member. son started college. and i use my camera all the time on FB. my business thrives on FB, but more so with video than with pics.

my point is that you are in a small minority of what business users use their BB camera for. i do wish it took better close ups of text, because i use ever note....but i can also understand why AF was not an option in putting together this phone.
    08-19-11 12:53 AM
    giving the bold to a family member. son started college. and i use my camera all the time on FB. my business thrives on FB, but more so with video than with pics.

my point is that you are in a small minority of what business users use their BB camera for. i do wish it took better close ups of text, because i use ever note....but i can also understand why AF was not an option in putting together this phone.

Good show, my Son is also in college and got him a BB curve 3g....
    ...I fear you are right about me becoming a minority - there is only one other Mgr where I work still on a BB.
    ...Everyone else has moved on.

I just don't see that many people using a berry these days...
    ...Who knows, perhaps I will be able to get just enough out of the camera to make it functional.

All I'm going to do is shoot some standard pics than fire them off to the ins. rep I deal with all the time and ask her if those pics are ok for or if I should reatake.

If she accept those shots and I can it work for the text I will for sure get this berry.
    08-19-11 01:01 AM
    i work in the music business and blackberry's are still everywhere. some of the artist use iphones, but the executives are still using the bbs.
    08-19-11 01:05 AM
    its a good start. but i don't think the camera sucks. that is just a misguided statement. most users do not take close ups. for most people, the camera is fine. i use it for my business and it is working as good as my 9650....and my droid charge. although the droid charge does take a little better pics in low light situations.

lighting is just as important as focus when it comes to taking pictures.
    When you said " I don't think the camera sucks", you expressed your opinion, to which you are entitled. However, when you characterize that statement (that the camera does,in fact, leave much to be desired) as misguided, you failed to address the simple fact that the camera on this flagship 2011 device is functionally limited and compromised compared to the same manufacturer's products of 2-3 years ago. While that that may not impact you directly, that does not decrease it's significance for those it does impact.
    While you would be hard pressed to provide factual evidence that "most users do not take close ups"(which even if proven true would beg the question "can't or do not want ability to...?"), the fact that the topic is even being debated (hotly at that) underscores a much bigger issue with implications for RIM and those who want them to succeed- Are they about making great devices and anticipating consumer needs and desires or merely producing "pretty good" devices and hoping to maintain their core demographic?
    A few years ago, similar discussions were being held around this same basic issue with regard to personal organizers made by a company called "Palm". They only created a market which they dominated for years until others came along and built a better mousetrap. There were a number of Palm loyalists then saying "but nobody really needs all those fancy extra features the other guys have...." then as well. You can see how well that worked out for Palm in the long run. The fact of the matter is that if Blackberry users do not hold RIM's feet to the fire and expect and demand more from the company, the competition will eat their lunch.
    I have no desire to switch to iOS or android device, but as BB users we are not doing the company any favors by overlooking shortcomings or trying to rationalize or minimize them. It is very apparent that the focus on the Playbook took priority over handsets at RIM (which is known first and foremost as a handset device company) over the past year. I understand the need to develop QNX internally for the future, but the decision to prioritize new tablets over new handsets suggests a mindset that "pretty good" devices from last year are "good enough" to compete in today's market. If true, that is a problem. Is the inclusion of an inferior camera on one device (EOL, considering QNX on horizon) going to sink RIM? Of course not (I'll still be there on the 21st, money in hand), but if the "pretty good" device mindset prevails, ultimately, RIM will not.
    08-19-11 01:30 AM
    OP, I meant to ask earlier, since you have the Sprint version, is there any evidence of the Wi-fi hotspot feature? I understand the hardware is present, but the functionality is a carrier decision. Thanks!
    08-19-11 01:37 AM
    Screw taking pics WITH the device; take pics OF the device!
    I think we all know what the device itself looks like by now

And pythons just above your post has explained that a seed device is nothing special... just an early release of a specific device for business users to test out before they buy multiples for their company etc...

So we all know what a 9930 looks like by now as it has had a thousand pictures taken and posted online of it...
    08-19-11 01:55 AM
    OP, I meant to ask earlier, since you have the Sprint version, is there any evidence of the Wi-fi hotspot feature? I understand the hardware is present, but the functionality is a carrier decision. Thanks!
    I will look for that after I get to work. I can report however that after leaving the phone on "all night" it appears that the battery bar looks the same as it did almost 8 hours ago.

The phone is active however I've not pushed any emails through it. So far the battery seems as good as my 9650.
    08-19-11 10:19 AM
    Everyone that complained about pics of text close up... have you seen this?

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post6581958

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post6582131

Those look fine to me...
    08-19-11 10:45 AM
    i was talking about close ups of books with text, which makes the camera have difficulty focusing because all the words are basically the same size. there is no depth of field. there is not a specific setting for that. it does, however, take good close ups of people and other things *most* business users (and non) would use the camera for.

lacking in one area does not make the camera suck. the fact that there have been far more people saying they think the camera works good, vs those complaining should tell you something.

the camera does not suck. it may not be as good as some of the previous models, but it doesn't suck. maybe for you, but not in general.

When you said " I don't think the camera sucks", you expressed your opinion, to which you are entitled. However, when you characterize that statement (that the camera does,in fact, leave much to be desired) as misguided, you failed to address the simple fact that the camera on this flagship 2011 device is functionally limited and compromised compared to the same manufacturer's products of 2-3 years ago. While that that may not impact you directly, that does not decrease it's significance for those it does impact.
    While you would be hard pressed to provide factual evidence that "most users do not take close ups"(which even if proven true would beg the question "can't or do not want ability to...?"), the fact that the topic is even being debated (hotly at that) underscores a much bigger issue with implications for RIM and those who want them to succeed- Are they about making great devices and anticipating consumer needs and desires or merely producing "pretty good" devices and hoping to maintain their core demographic?
    08-19-11 10:46 AM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD