My phone is haunted but it doesn't appear to be through the trackpad, it appears to be through the touch screen.

My phone's touch screen seems to be "touching itself" as it is going all whacky and opening programs by itself when the phone is sitting there by itself.

This first happened in March when I travelled to Aruba for vacation. I thought maybe it was the heat or humidity (though Aruba is very dry). Anyways, my touch screen was unresponsive and sometimes did things by itself. The second I landed in Canada and turned on my phone, everything was back to normal. Happened again a few weeks ago and now I've been having intermittent problems. As of this moment the phone is unusable...

Sometimes when I lock the keyboard and unlock it, the phone will have stopped being haunted for a while but it always comes back and keeps opening programs or whatever..

I've done batt pulls and all that... Next I'm going to try an OS update (I'm due to update anyways)...

Anybody else have this issue? It's a Bell 9900
    06-28-12 09:39 AM
    I've done batt pulls and all that... Next I'm going to try an OS update (I'm due to update anyways)...
    Give the latest .523 a try if you update, its a real good one.
    06-28-12 09:41 AM
    Touching itself may stop the camera from working. You know what they say, It'll make you go blind .

This sounds like you may have a genuine hardware problem. It has nothing to do with being outside Canada. Many phones all over the world do not do this.

I think that you should talk to your carrier and if you can find a rep who can count to 11 without undoing his zip then maybe your phone should be returned for replacement. I really do think that if a battery pull has not fixed it then an OS upgrade will not do so either.
    wolfee48 and troshs like this.
    06-28-12 09:47 AM
    I had a similar experience in dark lighting. When in bed, my screen would go nuts and scroll through my panels. Here is how you can help it: keep your screen clean and play with your settings. It came and went so it was hard to say if an OS change fixed it because it did it on all that I have tried.

I eventually got a refurbished device due to an unrelated issue. I nuked it and could not bring it back to life. Once my replacement was in the mail, I brought it back to life… go figure. I took a gamble and kept the replacement and the screen scrolling issue was gone. I have all the same settings and apps. So it is safe to say it is more of a hardware issue.

So if you want... nuke it manually, go to your carrier, get a replacement, go home and un-nuke until your replacement arrives, then re-nuke the old one.
    06-28-12 09:53 AM
    If a OS file is corrupted, then it is possible that a battery pull won't fix the problem but an update will. This is where I disagree with Pete6.
    Give the update a try. Might as well at this point.
    Oh, and Telus does not give you a replacement phone. It takes it and sends it in for repair for a few weeks. Meanwhile, you get a loaner phone. More of a LONER phone I would say
    06-28-12 10:10 AM
    If a OS file is corrupted, then it is possible that a battery pull won't fix the problem but an update will. This is where I disagree with Pete6.
    Give the update a try. Might as well at this point.
    Oh, and Telus does not give you a replacement phone. It takes it and sends it in for repair for a few weeks. Meanwhile, you get a loaner phone. More of a LONER phone I would say
    Whilst this is possible, I have never had an OS file corrupt in more than 6 years of owning a BlackBerry. The fault sounds to me (since it is intermittent) like it's hardware.

I generally discourage people with potentially faulty phones that are stil under warranty from doing an OS upgrade unless their carrier tells them to.

Didn't know that about Telus - thanks. Often what carriers do is to give you a refub. Mostly this means that you get a phone that has been sold and then returned within the however many days you have for return. These are very nearly new devices. I guess that Telus does not have enough stock to allow this.
    06-28-12 10:26 AM
    Try wipe...
    Nuke it using BBSAK..
    Install latest OS..
    And see it works..
    If not ask for replacement or repair..
    06-28-12 01:11 PM
    Thanks guys, will start by doing a simple upgrade to the newest OS. If no go, I will try the Wipe/Nuke/Fresh Install newest OS... If not I will throw it off a bridge!

Thanks!
    07-01-12 08:15 AM
    Sounds like hardware to me, let us know how you made out.
    07-01-12 02:37 PM
    I hope your solution was not throwing it from a bridge!

Hi I have the same problem since two days. My bold 9900 is unusable. unfortunately the 1 year warranty has expired 10 days ago! 4 days ago I did a screen replacement, because the original one got damaged. The first days I had no issue, so I am not sureif the problem has anything to do with the new screen or the replacement. Can anyone at least exclude that there's no virus infection? Any suggestion how to solve the problem?
    I was en enthusiastic new blackberry user and I am now very disappointed.
    Many thanks
    11-05-12 09:55 AM
    Got my screen replaced through extended warranty. Fixed the problem (at least no issues in the last 3 weeks since I got it back)!
    11-28-12 04:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD