Im about to change carriers sprint to at&t and deciding on the phone. Love most things about the 9930 except for my extremely slow download speeds which since all my last phones had this problem GS2 EVO and IP4S thinking its the network. I know the at&t model is suppose to be 4g and wanted to know if anyone has made that switch and was the difference really different. I played with the one x and it was blazing fast compared to what im used to. Guessing mostly cause of lte service and the gs3 will be equally as fast. Not really expecting those speeds on the 9900 since LTE but somewhat close or is that not really going to happen?
    06-18-12 01:09 PM
    Im about to change carriers sprint to at&t and deciding on the phone. Love most things about the 9930 except for my extremely slow download speeds which since all my last phones had this problem GS2 EVO and IP4S thinking its the network. I know the at&t model is suppose to be 4g and wanted to know if anyone has made that switch and was the difference really different. I played with the one x and it was blazing fast compared to what im used to. Guessing mostly cause of lte service and the gs3 will be equally as fast. Not really expecting those speeds on the 9900 since LTE but somewhat close or is that not really going to happen?
    Even when I connect my 9930 to fast speeds on wifi its still SLOW as if they put a governor on my phone. The 9930/9900 days are coming to an end. You'll start noticing that RIM won't release OS's or anything just like they've abandoned previous phones.
    06-18-12 01:57 PM
    Hello,
    I switched from Sprint to AT&T recently (only because they made me a better offer on monthly costs) but here are a few observations:

1. You will have a 4G phone. What does that mean? almost nothing in my view. It is about a second faster in my view than the 3G on Sprint when going to a webpage. But I think people could realize that kind of improvement if they just switched to Opera Mini. I don't have stats but just from personal experience that is how it looks.

2. ATT does not have NFC enabled (turkeys!). I miss this feature. The automation that can quietly run four or five routines by just setting the phone on a NFC tag is awesome and ATT is dragging their feet, again.

3. The coverage is better though.

Anyway, the above are things I noticed. Would I do it again? Well, it is a close one because of NFC but because the coverage is better and the price is better I would. But they better hurry and get 7.1 out or when BB10 comes our (just four months) I'll use it as an excuse to leave and get my port in credits from Verizon or Sprint.
    BlazorBoy likes this.
    06-18-12 02:26 PM
    I have a 9930, and my sister owns a 4g 9900. From a bit of use of both devices, the HSPA+ "4G" on the 9900 is not really any faster than Sprint's 3G. Of course it will depend on your location and coverage, but I'd recommend against the switch because the 4G will eat up your battery much faster.
    06-18-12 05:56 PM
    AT&T has much better coverage than Sprint. If anything, you should try an 4GLTE Android - if you have 4GLTE in your area, it's blazing fast. You could return the device if you don't like it. Explore, think and choose what you desire.
    06-18-12 06:01 PM
    I just switched from a VZW 9930 to an AT&T 9900. You know that old adage about location, location, location? SO true.
    For me, coverage is better with AT&T. Which means increased battery life. It also means a faster device.
    One thing to think about...there will be more OS upgrades on GSM devices.
    I realise my change was not from Sprint to AT&T but I believe my impressions would have held with a Sprint 9930.
    06-18-12 06:44 PM
    2. ATT does not have NFC enabled (turkeys!). I miss this feature. The automation that can quietly run four or five routines by just setting the phone on a NFC tag is awesome and ATT is dragging their feet, again.
    I'm using 7.1.0.342 on my AT&T 9900 and NFC is there. I have never used it but I would imagine it works. Battery life is better compared to the official as well.
    I have been with AT&T for a long time and don't wait for them to update software.
    06-18-12 08:25 PM
    Att 3g not faster than Sprint 3g !?!? What are you smoking. Download some songs or videos. Att will be done in 1/5 of the time.
    06-18-12 11:31 PM
    Haven't switched phones but I came from a sprint 9650 to the att 9900 and the coverage between the 2 carriers for me is night and day.

Doesn't matter blackberry, android or iphone don't let anyone tell you in a full bars battle between the 2 that they are the same.

Hit up youtube and watch the iphones speed battle vz vs att vs sprint. Vz and att are quick and sprint is way way way slower.

Also I've had to call att a few times and they have been miles ahead in my book as far as cs smarts go in my case.

Sent from my Bold using Tapatalk
    06-19-12 12:10 AM
    Haven't switched phones but I came from a sprint 9650 to the att 9900 and the coverage between the 2 carriers for me is night and day.

Doesn't matter blackberry, android or iphone don't let anyone tell you in a full bars battle between the 2 that they are the same.

Hit up youtube and watch the iphones speed battle vz vs att vs sprint. Vz and att are quick and sprint is way way way slower.

Also I've had to call att a few times and they have been miles ahead in my book as far as cs smarts go in my case.

Sent from my Bold using Tapatalk
    I agree, the connection with sprint is defiantly slower, many Sprint users have complained about this issue and the AT&T speeds seems to be faster.
    06-19-12 02:12 AM
    Att 3g not faster than Sprint 3g !?!? What are you smoking. Download some songs or videos. Att will be done in 1/5 of the time.
    Agreed. I switched from T-Mobile(Bold 9780) to Sprint(Galaxy SII). I don't have 4g coverage, but 3G between Sprint and T-Mobile is incredibly different. My Bold was at LEAST twice as fast at my Galaxy SII, and Sprints coverage map shows better coverage at my home than T-Mobile did.
    06-19-12 10:08 PM
    I'm in metro-Detroit (still without 4G LTE, thanks, Sprint) I have a Bold 9930, and really never had too much to complain about thier speed or phone connection, they've been decent, at least. I still have over a year left with Sprint (and my Bold 9930) more than likely, I will re-up with Sprint, since they've done fine by me here in metro-Detroit. Now BlackBerry in 2013? I dunno, without any doubt, it HAS to beat iphone 6 and Samsung Galaxy 4 and Sprint's HTC Evo at the time. IMO, a pretty huge undertaking.
    06-20-12 05:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD