Vodafone : i dunno
    Vodafone : 3G

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-11 07:14 AM
    The one that you have, what is the model number?
    it's on the side of the box.

Should be RDxxxxxx

Mine is RDY71UW and I do not have H+
    9900 Bands 1,2,5,6
    Movistar VE

same model number as you..

RDY71UW : No H+
    RDE71UW : Got H+

09-18-11 08:53 AM
    Does anyone have a Bell or Telus Canadian unbranded one that is getting H+ on AT&T?
    09-22-11 11:26 AM
    i dun c any change when upgrading to the new OS.
    i have try roger os n now back to sk_telecom still no have H/H+ or 4G icon

Asia set : show up (3G)
    Roger : show up (H+)
    T-Mobile : show up (4G)
    at&t : show up (H)
    Vodafone : i dunno

Mine unbranded set
    I asked a friend of mine in Canada to order me one from Roger.
    09-22-11 12:35 PM
    Guys this is not an issue.

All has to do with branding. Most unbranded phones will show 3G even when they are on HSPA+, you dont have to do anything to get the higher speeds if it is available.

Some carriers have asked to have H+ show instead of 3G and that's it. Don't worry about it you are still getting the speeds.
    09-22-11 01:09 PM

All has to do with branding. Most unbranded phones will show 3G even when they are on HSPA+, you dont have to do anything to get the higher speeds if it is available.

Some carriers have asked to have H+ show instead of 3G and that's it. Don't worry about it you are still getting the speeds.
    milan187......thanks for clearing this up. So most likely my Canadian Bell or Telus will just show 3G on AT&T, but I will actually be getting the H+ speeds? Now someone did say that their Canadian Bell phone did show H+ when on Rogers, so maybe this indicates that the H+ will show up on AT&T. HMMMMMMMM.......
    09-22-11 01:16 PM
    i think that all phone made in mexico have h+,hungary not...
    09-22-11 07:59 PM
    i think that all phone made in mexico have h+,hungary not...
    Mine is made in Mexico 5 and doesn't have the H+

Mine is:
    No logo
    Software: 7.0.0.353 SK Telcom
    3G Bands 1,2,5,6
    Carier: XL (indonesia) - I've read some of XL customer's getting H+

Went thru all pages in this thread.. and it looks like we haven't got a clear explanation of what differentiate which phones will get the H+ and which ones not getting it?
    09-28-11 03:49 AM

Anything to back it up?
    Say... You work for RIM? Just anything.
    Your friend works for RIM?
    Thanks!
    10-01-11 01:49 PM
    Anything to back it up?
    Say... You work for RIM? Just anything.
    Your friend works for RIM?
    Thanks!
    It's common knowledge that the 9900 is an HSPA+ compatible phone.

If your network supports those speeds, then you will get them, simple as.

The H+/4G symbols are just North American marketing gimmicks which almost every other worldwide carrier chose not to adopt.

Disclaimer: the above statement is based on common sense. I do not work for RIM, nor do I know anyone who does

10-01-11 03:25 PM

The H+/4G symbols are just North American marketing gimmicks which almost every other worldwide carrier chose not to adopt.

Disclaimer: the above statement is based on common sense. I do not work for RIM, nor do I know anyone who does

My network supports H+, my 9900 is always on 3G but I seem to get the 2G speed.
    I wish your common knowledge applies to all of us
    I can't even browse this forum from my phone.
    10-02-11 10:26 AM
    Makes sense... even now that apple launched IPHONE 4S att is trying to make the ihone show H+ OR 4G just branding stuff doesnt mean that other IPHONE 4S are not 4G its just att branding of their network....
    10-08-11 09:37 PM
    As far as I know, T-Mobile USA's 9900 will display 4G and rogers' will display H+.

i guess mine is unbranded (no splash screen, no carrier logos)

Can this be theme related? Like how my at&t 9000 used to have 'Precision AT&T, Precision Zen', and blah. My 9900 only has 'BlackBerry 7' theme.

Maybe if you can get 'BlackBerry 7 Rogers' you can get the network icon to change to H+.

But then I can't explain why some 'About Device Version' screen says 3G,H+ while I have the same bands :s
    10-09-11 07:32 AM
    Can this be theme related?
    It's definitely not theme related, as there are only 4 carrier themes built into the OS, and none of those are Rogers (AT&T, China Unicom, Telekom and T-Mobile).

I believe it's down to the ribbon cod, device ID and possibly the BlackBerry alx and/or UMTS file. I've just switched my mobile network off and on again, checked my Event Log and found this...

I have absolutely no doubt that I'm getting HSPA+ speeds, but as you can see my device is being told to display 3G rather than H+. It looks like a simple tweak to the OS for carriers to be able to display H+, but most of them are obviously chosing not to at this point.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens in future OS releases.

Last edited by Phill_UK; 10-09-11 at 09:04 AM.
    10-09-11 08:20 AM

I agree with this comment. The H+ on Telus Mobility Canada has a SLOWER speeds on BIS than the 3G on my friends British service provider!!! That is BS! H+ has slower speeds in Canada than UK's 3G!
    10-09-11 09:31 AM
    I agree with this comment. The H+ on Telus Mobility Canada has a SLOWER speeds on BIS than the 3G on my friends British service provider!!! That is BS! H+ has slower speeds in Canada than UK's 3G!
    Although our phones are showing the 3G symblol, we are still getting H+ speeds.

I know these are pointless tests... but I still love doing them, and rubbing it in

10-09-11 09:47 AM
    I went to the 3 shop and to the OnetoFree shop here in Hong-Kong. Both carriers offer the Blackberry Bold 9900 but neither one shows H+ on their handsets. Downloads seemed pretty quick but scrolling up and down on websites showed a ton of checkerboards
    10-09-11 11:19 AM
    For the most part H+ is one in the same with 3G (if your phone supports it).. For instance, I had AT&T Inspire 4G, if I didn't have H+ then I didn't have 3G either. I would have been on Edge. If I was on a 3G then I was on H+..

H+ is back hauled 3G
    10-09-11 04:45 PM
    Makes sense... even now that apple launched IPHONE 4S att is trying to make the ihone show H+ OR 4G just branding stuff doesnt mean that other IPHONE 4S are not 4G its just att branding of their network....

Actually it does!
    Of all the US carries that have the 4S, AT&T is the only one with a "4G" network that the 4S can run on (HSDPA).

AT&T's 4S can theoretically get twice the download speeds over Verizon or Sprint's. If I was AT&T I'd want to push that fact too!
    10-09-11 04:54 PM
    I'm glad I've found this thread. Here is my experience with this situation....

When the 9900 first came out I had my Canadian friend Import a Bell version to use on At&t since it is the only one that was hardware & software unbranded. It indeed DID display H+ in the network indicator. Ended up selling it because had squeaky trackpad n bad build quality.

Fast forward to today I just received a unbranded 9900 from amazon I searched the box and documentation and it turns out its originally from sutel which I believe is in costa rica and I'm a little disappointed it shows only 3G instead of H+.

It would be nice to have the H+ icon I had on my Bell 9900 but build quality is good on this one and I don't wanna risk getting another bad one. Does everyone agree I am indeed still connecting to at&t's HSPA+ network and its just a icon branding issue or should I be concerned I'm not getting as fast as speeds as I did with the Bell version??
    10-11-11 11:25 PM

I agree....
    It depends on what brand your device was.
    For exampe :

Example 1.
    I have Bold 9650 Verizon using EVDO, When connected to EVDO networks shows 3G.
    But on Bold 9650 Sprint using EVDO, When connected to EVDO networks shows 1XEV.

Example 2.
    I have Torch 9810 from AT&T, when connected shows H+, but when test with unbranded Torch 9810 using the same operator only shows 3G.

Example 3.
    Me and my brother have Bold 9000 but with different operator.
    Mine AT&T and my brother O2 UK.
    When check at mobile networks setting :
    AT&T only have 2 Options (2G, 2G & 3G) while O2 UK have 3 options (2G, 3G, 2G & 3G)

So it's not a big problem at all.
    10-22-11 02:08 PM
    I Have a 9900 Through WIND Mobile Canada. I work for them, i get 3G only, My friend is on Rogers Mobile she gets H+, but My speeds are faster than hers, I load web pages faster. Its all about branding from networks. Tmo-usa 42mbps Network, Atnt Almost 42mbps(last test i saw was around 36mbps i dont know their peak), Rogers 21mbps, BELLUS 42mbps(shared between 2 networks). Its all about branding.
    Phill_UK that speedtest you did is incorrect, 9900 is only capable of 14.4mbps. theres no way you can clock 19mbps. speedtest through ur blackberry is inaccurate. Tether your blackberry and go through speedtest.net

PS Tethering will incur charges to your bill dependent on your plan. I don't hold responsible for your action, tether at your own risk.
    10-23-11 12:28 AM
    I'm glad I've found this thread. Here is my experience with this situation....

When the 9900 first came out I had my Canadian friend Import a Bell version to use on At&t since it is the only one that was hardware & software unbranded. It indeed DID display H+ in the network indicator. Ended up selling it because had squeaky trackpad n bad build quality.

Fast forward to today I just received a unbranded 9900 from amazon I searched the box and documentation and it turns out its originally from sutel which I believe is in costa rica and I'm a little disappointed it shows only 3G instead of H+.

It would be nice to have the H+ icon I had on my Bell 9900 but build quality is good on this one and I don't wanna risk getting another bad one. Does everyone agree I am indeed still connecting to at&t's HSPA+ network and its just a icon branding issue or should I be concerned I'm not getting as fast as speeds as I did with the Bell version??

You will still access AT&T's HSPA+ network regardless whether the icon displays as H+ or 3G. No need to worry.
    10-23-11 05:31 PM
    Phill_UK that speedtest you did is incorrect, 9900 is only capable of 14.4mbps. theres no way you can clock 19mbps.
    Yes, I know that... as I already said

10-23-11 05:43 PM
    Just my 2 cents here

Software can be written for the device in this way:

3G true if vendor ID= (insert vendor ids here)
    H+ true if vendor ID= (insert vendor ids here)
    4G etc etc

Get the point?
    If your carrier supports the HSPA+ speeds you'll get those speeds regardless of what it shows.

Don't belive it? Explain me then why it goes from H+ or 4G to EDGE without getting to 3G.

Last edited by ealvnv; 10-23-11 at 08:17 PM.
    10-23-11 08:12 PM
111 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD