Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
01-08-19 07:44 PM
165 1234 ...
tools
    Does anyone know if the Facebook messenger app works over cellular data without BIS?
    03-08-15 08:10 PM
    Opera Mini Web browser, download and install... Or BlackBerry Browser work normaly.
    03-16-15 02:49 PM
    Wow this is awesome!

Q10 on 10.3.1.1581
    03-16-15 03:00 PM
    Thanks motec bb! Great avatar!
    03-16-15 10:29 PM
    Opera Mini Web browser, download and install... Or BlackBerry Browser work normaly.
    If I understand your question correctly, here's my response:

Without BIS, your BlackBerry Browser will work over wifi, but probably not over cellular data. To browse over cellular, you can either:

a) download and install Opera mini, which works over cellular data.

OR

b) follow the instructions in post #9 to fix the BlackBerry Browser so that it works over cellular data.

I hope that helps
    03-16-15 10:33 PM
    All of this tutorial works flawlessly on my Bold 9900! Thanks for sharing it.

Posted Via BlackBerry Q 10
    03-17-15 10:51 AM
    Yeah, this tutorial is great. Unfortunately we can't use BBM and BBW without BIS which is very disappointing. My 9720 would be my favorite phone ever if I was able to use those apps.
    04-12-15 03:46 AM
    Yeah, this tutorial is great. Unfortunately we can't use BBM and BBW without BIS which is very disappointing. My 9720 would be my favorite phone ever if I was able to use those apps.
    BlackBerry World works on my 9900 without BIS. Have you tried it?

I don't know anyone who uses BBM, so that part never really bothered me.
    04-16-15 07:12 PM
    Ok, thanks for the response. I thought BBW is like very "buggy" without BIS but I regularly use BBM so that's very unfortunate.
    04-17-15 03:21 PM
    I've an unlocked AT&T BB9810 with OS 7.1 on Consumer Cellular voice and data plan. I followed your very clear instructions for the legacy service book substitution. Didn't crash anything. Opera-mini still works with phone data plan, and BB browser still works on wifi. But no joy with getting BB browser to connect on phone data plan. Thanks for any thoughts.
    07-28-15 01:45 PM
    I'm not really sure. Clearly, given that Opera Mini works, your APN is set correctly. The service book should have produced the desired change. I guess I'd try two things: 1) a reboot (battery pull), if you haven't done that already; 2) Try installing the .ipd file over again.

I guess there's a remote possibility that the .ipd file might be corrupted, and you could try getting another copy from another source. You never know.

Edit: the version at code (dot) google (dot) com is identical to the one I used.

Let me know what happens.

I wonder also if you have AT&T service books that are interfering. I started with the O2 UK OS 7.1.0.1098 for the Bold 9900, and all I had were a couple of automatically generated generic service books. If you're not risk-averse, you could try deleting ALL of your service books, rebooting to regenerate the generic ones, and then installing the .ipd file. I've done that many times (because I was hacking away at my MMS service books), but of course, if you choose to try it, the risk is all yours!
    Last edited by Shuswap; 07-28-15 at 08:29 PM.
    07-28-15 07:59 PM
    I'm so happy to find this thread, and to see that it is still active, as I'm about to activate my first ever Blackberry, a Bold 9900.

I will be using Ting GSM (T-Mobile MVNO that does not support BIS) or T-Mobile prepaid (does support BIS, I think). I have SIMS for both.

Here's a few questions:

1. What happens if I populate the service books with the T-Mobile Prepaid SIM then swap to a Ting SIM also using T-Mobile? I do know how to change the APN, but the service books is a new concept to me.
    2. How important is the OS upgrade, and is the O2 UK version the best one? I'm in the US. Is there any automated way to do an OS upgrade?

Eagerly awaiting your reply. I plan to work on this tonight. Thanks!
    07-28-15 10:16 PM
    The quick answers: I don't know what those service books will do. Probably nothing on your other service. Many, but not all, service books are carrier specific.

The OS upgrade is very worthwhile. You'll notice battery life and stability improvement. There's also a new version from Claro Argentina, but I haven't tried it. I'm in Canada, and the UK OS works fine for me here, so you shouldn't have any problems with it in the U.S.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-15 10:22 PM
    I'm on 9900 on 7.1.0.862 (2435) latest AT&T OS with cricket sim and can't complain with the battery life and device functionality. It's just odd to have to daily alt+shift+delete to keep it running smooth

Posted via CB10 via the Internets
    07-28-15 11:58 PM
    Thank you Shuswap (post #36). It was a simple fix. There were still 2 Browser Config service books; one was the Anworm file and the other was a leftover. I deleted the other, and SHAZAM BB Browser is working beautifully on the Consumer Cellular data plan (they're owned by AT&T).
    07-29-15 04:45 PM
    Thank you Shuswap (post #36). It was a simple fix. There were still 2 Browser Config service books; one was the Anworm file and the other was a leftover. I deleted the other, and SHAZAM BB Browser is working beautifully on the Consumer Cellular data plan (they're owned by AT&T).
    Hey, no problem. Glad you got it working!

Posted via CB10
    07-29-15 04:55 PM
    Hi again Shuswap,
    I stumbled on the Anworm website, and I think I discovered that the Browser config you helped us use to get the BB browser working on simple data plans is part of a larger package of Anworm service books. These appear to have been developed by a persistant hack in VietNam, where they probably couldn't use BIS or BES, just as the case with simple data service now. So, the question is, are there other pieces of this Anworm service book set that are useful for setting up simple data use on Blackberries? Thanks for any thoughts.
    07-30-15 06:25 PM
    Hi... There is something else in the Anworm service book in addition to the browser... If I remember correctly, it had something to do with messaging or email. I'm not at home for a few days though, so I can't check. I don't know about anything else he/they might have done.

I did hack service books to set up MMS messaging on my prepaid service, and there is a link to the instructions for that hack above in the thread. You could likely hack the same service books to turn on MMS messaging in Simple Mobile.

Other than the browser and MMS, I believe any other services you might turn on via service books operate through BlackBerry's servers, so you can't turn them on, and of course, it would be unethical to do so even if you could.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-15 06:34 PM
    Hi Shuswap and all,
    Like you, I am opposed to unethical hacking that would involve utilizing RIM server services.

On the other hand, with many others on numerous related forums, I am disappointed and frustrated with the very limited support available from RIM and original service carriers (i.e. AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, etc.) for OS 6 & 7 BB devices that are 3-5 years old. These are wonderful smart phones. My OS 7 BB-9810 has a fast dual-core processor, 8 gig onboard memory with 1 gig RAM, a high-resolution touch screen, a good picture and video camera, a terrific QWERTY keyboard, and built in phone & 4G data & WiFi & GPS & compass capability. And all of that with a stripped-down OS 7.0 was $50- in very good condition on EBay. With BB Desktop & AT&T OS 7.1, the device has a fully functional Docs2Go handling Microsoft Office and PDF files from my desktop (encrypted on my media card), verbal search and dial capability, and secure encrypted (no cloud) sync with MS Outlook schedule and contacts. With the correct carrier APN data setting, Blackberry Browser working via your terrific service-book fix, and Britannica and AP-news reinstalled from my old 9800, I also have an encyclopedia, data service internet access, and a live news service. At my 70-years age, this is a terrific device without BIS, which is this thread's subject.

The final thing that just wouldn't work without BIS was Blackberry maps. BB apps doesn't have working Google Maps, and the other forums say Google Maps 4.5.3 has had difficulty in OS 7.1. It was hard to find, but there is an OTA download for Google maps 4.5.1 that works fine from BB Browser by the non-BIS data system enabled from post #9 of this thread. Yesterday, I deleted BB Maps (options > device > applications), and then (no wifi here) BB Browser OTA downloaded Google Maps v4.5.1. CB blocked this NewB from posting the link, but the site is mybbota followed by dot-com followed by forwardslash 5476. Google Maps 4.5.1 installed flawlessly, and I turned on location services GPS receiver (options > device > location services); within 90 seconds I was looking at an arrow pointing to my house and the street map from there. Downloaded POYNT from BB apps, and have weather, stores, entertainment venues, and coordinated Google maps to all.

With many mobile carriers not supporting BIS, these BB OS 7.1 devices can still be absolutely terrific smart phones, and threads like this can really help.
    08-01-15 03:37 PM
    Mistake in longhand for getting Google Maps 4.5.1 OTA into OS 7.1. It should be mybbota (followed by) dot-com (followed by) forwardslash download (followed by) forwardslash 5476. Sorry, if I ever get to 10 posts, I can just post link!
    08-01-15 04:22 PM
    Thanks Charles! Another nice option is (formerly Nokia) HERE maps via the browser. Apparently you can even download maps for offline use, but I haven't attempted it. I'll give google maps a try when I get home.... And I'll post that link for you.
    08-01-15 10:03 PM
    Mistake in longhand for getting Google Maps 4.5.1 OTA into OS 7.1. It should be mybbota (followed by) dot-com (followed by) forwardslash download (followed by) forwardslash 5476. Sorry, if I ever get to 10 posts, I can just post link!
    I've added a link to Google maps to post #1, and linked your post #44 to the app description in post #2, since you've provided all the necessary information in great detail.
    08-04-15 12:01 AM
    Hi Shuswap - and Thanks.

I'd love to be able to use off-line maps with Here-Maps, as you mentioned. But I've used 2 search engines to try every twist and turn and then searched these forums to try to find any way to download this for BB OS 7.1. I can't find it, and folks with OS 10 that have downloaded it from the Android app store seem to all be having freezes. I'm not unhappy to have found GoogleMaps 4.5.1, but if we could get a navigator using offline maps, then it would save data usage. Any suggestions?
    08-22-15 12:42 PM
    Hi Charles,

Well, I found this: MGMaps - View maps from various sources on your mobile phone!

You can download the app from your handset at: http://wap.mgmaps.com/mgmaps_bb.jad

Edit: if you use also use the Google Maps app, it will delete the mobile gmaps app! So there's an alternate (renamed) version here: http://wap.mgmaps.com/mmaps_bb.zip

I have it up and running. Development has stopped but the open street maps and windows live maps still work, and there are instructions for downloading maps for offline use here: MGMaps - Stored Maps Tutorial

There's a bit of a learning curve, but it looks like you could have a pretty effective offline map app with it.
    Last edited by Shuswap; 08-22-15 at 09:23 PM.
    08-22-15 08:40 PM
    I just found Damian Montero's thread on Google Maps and Google Voice: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...y-7-a-1015251/

I don't use Google services if I can help it, and don't have Google Voice. If someone who does have it wants to try it out to see whether it works without BIS, let me know the results. If it works, I'll add it to the list.
    Damian Montero likes this.
    08-23-15 09:14 PM
165 1234 ...